Old July 15, 2003, 00:41   #31
Sikander
King

Local Time: 22:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
%70 of your coworkers are female? you have to hook me up man . I want to work there. I work mostly among men.
Get a job at your local hospital. You'll be swimming in women toot sweet.
Old July 15, 2003, 00:41   #32
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 01:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
That's most obvious. Another one is "why dioes a weaker person latch onto a stronger person"
I don't know, what do you get out of it" (Jack and Marla, respectively)

Not necessarily sexual, but relates to adolescent crush idea (especialy when you thaake into account how they're living together in sort of a unisex private school domr evetually. Kind of squirellying away from outside world. They live in a society of men.

Nt explicit, but sort of undertone.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 15, 2003, 00:43   #33
KrazyHorse
Deity

I understand that there's nothing necessarilt homoerotic about it, but connotations are definitley there. Y'dig?

I never had any homosexual experiences at my all-boys school either, but I can see how it would be more prevalent there than outside...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 15, 2003, 00:44   #34
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
That's most obvious. Another one is "why dioes a weaker person latch onto a stronger person"
I don't know, what do you get out of it" (Jack and Marla, respectively)

Not necessarily sexual, but relates to adolescent crush idea (especialy when you thaake into account how they're living together in sort of a unisex private school domr evetually. Kind of squirellying away from outside world. They live in a society of men.

Nt explicit, but sort of undertone.
My favorite line that didn't make it into the movie:

Jack's voiceover: And the sh!t that comes out of her mouth!

Marla swooning: I want to have your abortion

(It was changed to:" I haven't been fvcked like that since grade school!"
Old July 15, 2003, 00:45   #35
KrazyHorse
Deity

The two are sort of ties for me.

Grade school line is funnier in its own right, but abortion line fits better into movie.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 15, 2003, 00:52   #36
Sikander
King

Quote:
I understand that there's nothing necessarilt homoerotic about it, but connotations are definitley there. Y'dig?

I never had any homosexual experiences at my all-boys school either, but I can see how it would be more prevalent there than outside...
My current batch of friends includes three "lesbians" who attended girls boarding schools during their adolescent years, so I do dig. And those relationships are different, in that there really isn't any pressure to have sex or get serious other than that which resides internally in the participants.

None of these girls considered themselves gay until they were firmly crushed out on their best friends at school. All of them have had relationships with men since then, one of them is currently dating a man, and one states that she is firmly a lesbian. She's the most dogmatic of them all generally, so I bet she'll stick to it even though her relationships uniformly suck and are abusive.
Old July 15, 2003, 00:57   #37
Sikander
King

Quote:
The two are sort of ties for me.

Grade school line is funnier in its own right, but abortion line fits better into movie.
I agree. For me and my two best male friends the Marla character is someone who we have all dated numerous times, and the abortion line definitely fits better in that it is a line this type of girl is more likely to actually say. But the gradeschool comment isn't a millimeter off of the truth either, just not spoken in that way.
Old July 15, 2003, 02:51   #38
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Local Time: 05:40
I never thought Fight Club was even remotely gay. I just thought it was really, really funny.

Yes, I've been told NUMEROUS times that it's not supposed to be funny, but it is to me. The first time I saw it in a theatre, I was asked to leave for laughing too loud. Instead of leaving, I slept through the middle hour of the movie, but I did catch the last 20 min. or so.

I borrowed it from a friend recently, and it was even funnier than I remembered. I still missed the last half-hour or so, but that's just the ADD talking.

Sikander: I'm really glad you're not that sorry, because I would never ignore anyone's posts, no matter how much I disagree; I'm posting too, and I KNOW some of the stuff I say is EXTREMELY offensive. Not that I give a sh*t, mind you.

Zylka: Uh, no. I could kick both their asses, so I think I could do better.

Old July 15, 2003, 12:19   #39
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Local Time: 06:40
Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
not much else to say about the s&m case (which btw is r v brown and others (1993)), except to say that they appealed to the european court of human right which held that their human rights had not been breached.
The ECJ proceedings were unbelievable. Judge Pettiti came out with the following-

"The dangers of unrestrained permissiveness, which can lead to debauchery, paedophilia or the torture of others, were highlighted at the Stockholm World Conference. The protection of private life means the protection of a person's intimacy and dignity, not the protection of his baseness or the promotion of criminal immoralism."
Old July 15, 2003, 13:03   #40
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander

Get a job at your local hospital. You'll be swimming in women toot sweet.
I'm actually doing that right now for the same reason. The things a registered nurse with knockout hips will have one doing

WOWOWOW!!!
Old July 15, 2003, 13:14   #41
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
DRESS ME UP IN RHINESTONE LEATHER AND PUNCH ME IN THE FACE.
Okay.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 15, 2003, 13:17   #42
chequita guevara
Emperor

I never understood the campaign against travellers, or as they are known in the US, ****ing hippies. Sure, I wouldn't invite one into my home again, but as long as they're just driving around leaving me alone, what do I care?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old July 15, 2003, 13:25   #43
C0ckney
King

the problem that people have with them is that their 'alternative lifestyle' involves a lot of thieving, robbing, that is to say, stealing and nicking of everything that isn't nailed down, and having a damn good go at anything that is.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old July 15, 2003, 13:30   #44
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

...and hijacking other peoples' water and electricity supply, setting up camp where it's wholly inconvenient...
Old July 15, 2003, 13:33   #45
chequita guevara
Emperor

Weird. Our Rainbow Nation folks are a lot more respectful of private property, most dealing and trading and doing services to get what they wanted. It's only when a whole bunch of them showed up for a gathering would they do any damage, which is sort of inevitiable when you get several thousand people showing up in a park.
Old July 15, 2003, 21:35   #46
chequita guevara
Emperor

boink
Old July 16, 2003, 12:30   #47
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by C0ckney
the problem that people have with them is that their 'alternative lifestyle' involves a lot of thieving, robbing, that is to say, stealing and nicking of everything that isn't nailed down, and having a damn good go at anything that is.
That's the sort of blanket stereotype that breeds climates that kicked off Spanner and the Beanfield. I have friends in those communities, one of whom watched her home get wrecked at the Beanfield by the police simply because it was a bus. Personally speaking, I'd trust her with my kids and money.
Old July 16, 2003, 13:12   #48
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

No-one is condoning that behaviour, Laz... but presumably the only way to shake off those stereotypes is to deal with the minority that conform to them?
Old July 16, 2003, 13:36   #49
C0ckney
King

i don't doubt that there are decent law-abiding people in those communities, i've just yet to meet one.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old July 17, 2003, 12:54   #50
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
No-one is condoning that behaviour, Laz... but presumably the only way to shake off those stereotypes is to deal with the minority that conform to them?
No, Iain. The way to shake off this stereotype, just like any other stereotype, is to stand up and say "I don't believe this crap".

Target the group for special police attention, and you'll just feed the stereotype. They're just people.
Old July 18, 2003, 00:01   #51
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
I never understood the campaign against travellers, or as they are known in the US, ****ing hippies. Sure, I wouldn't invite one into my home again, but as long as they're just driving around leaving me alone, what do I care?
There's a story there just begging to come out.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 18, 2003, 01:43   #52
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by st_swithin
I never thought Fight Club was even remotely gay. I just thought it was really, really funny.

Yes, I've been told NUMEROUS times that it's not supposed to be funny, but it is to me. The first time I saw it in a theatre, I was asked to leave for laughing too loud. Instead of leaving, I slept through the middle hour of the movie, but I did catch the last 20 min. or so.

I borrowed it from a friend recently, and it was even funnier than I remembered. I still missed the last half-hour or so, but that's just the ADD talking.

Sikander: I'm really glad you're not that sorry, because I would never ignore anyone's posts, no matter how much I disagree; I'm posting too, and I KNOW some of the stuff I say is EXTREMELY offensive. Not that I give a sh*t, mind you.

Zylka: Uh, no. I could kick both their asses, so I think I could do better.

I completely agree that Fight Club is hilarious. I think most people would find it humorous, or at least understand that it was trying to be funny even if they personally didn't appreciate the humor. I was in pain from laughing so hard, and had to rewind the film a couple of times so my GF could hear the next line. I've seen Fight Club 4 times so far, and am taking a break until someone I know who hasn't seen the film happens by the house again.

What surprised me was that it was also very insightful psychologically and excellent in its portrayal of the throw away kids of my generation as adults. Whether this portrayal manages to serve as a means of understanding these people for people who haven't been one or known one well, or whether the movie is merely capable of serving as a sort of nostalgia inducer for those who lived it I don't know. I'm just glad they made it, and did such a damned good job in almost every detail.
Old July 18, 2003, 02:01   #53
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

I wonder if your almost is the same as my almost...

Did you read the book?

If yes, was it the casting?

For me, none of the characters looked or sounded the way I thought they would, even though they were mouthing all the words correctly. Other than that, I thought it was a pretty decent movie meself.
Old July 18, 2003, 02:31   #54
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by st_swithin
I wonder if your almost is the same as my almost...

Did you read the book?

If yes, was it the casting?

For me, none of the characters looked or sounded the way I thought they would, even though they were mouthing all the words correctly. Other than that, I thought it was a pretty decent movie meself.
I haven't read the book. A friend of mine has it, but he lives in LA, and I keep forgetting to "borrow" it when I visit. I'm glad that I didn't read the book first though, that usually makes the film a dissappointment.
Old July 18, 2003, 08:22   #55
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Target the group for special police attention, and you'll just feed the stereotype. They're just people.
...but if anyone tries to approach the genuine criminals within those groups (and they exist, as a minority, as they do within any group of people!) people scream "victimisation" and the whole thing degenerates further. People are people, and yes, of course no-one should be blacklisted or treated differently simply because they choose to live in a caravan, or a bus, or whatever, but at the same time criminals are criminals.
Old July 18, 2003, 08:55   #56
HershOstropoler
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

The ECJ proceedings were unbelievable. Judge Pettiti came out with the following-

"The dangers of unrestrained permissiveness, which can lead to debauchery, paedophilia or the torture of others, were highlighted at the Stockholm World Conference. The protection of private life means the protection of a person's intimacy and dignity, not the protection of his baseness or the promotion of criminal immoralism."
Well that's one judge running his mouth to the potty ina concurring opinion, though giving a different "reasoning" (well a braindead rant, actually). Overall, however, the ECHR judgment was based on a reasoning that I have no problem with:

Quote:
43. The Court considers that one of the roles which the State is unquestionably entitled to undertake is to seek to regulate, through the operation of the criminal law, activities which involve the infliction of physical harm. This is so whether the activities in
question occur in the course of sexual conduct or otherwise.

44. The determination of the level of harm that should be tolerated by the law in situations where the victim consents is in the first instance a matter for the State concerned since what is at stake is related, on the one hand, to public health considerations and to the
general deterrent effect of the criminal law, and, on the other, to the personal autonomy of the individual.

45. ... It is evident from the facts established by the national courts that the applicants' sado-masochistic activities involved a significant degree of injury or
wounding which could not be characterised as trifling or transient. ...
My personal opinion is it's their business, but from the legal perspective the judgment was perfectly in order.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)