Old July 14, 2003, 21:45   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 01:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The "reply with quote" feature
I happen to use this feature pretty regularly, and I noticed a while back that, in the quote of the post I'm quoting, any quotes made with the [QUOTE] or [quote] tags are removed (I think I've seen ones that use the [q] tag included). This is extremely annoying. I understand that it can be convenient at times, but I think it's more of a hindrance than a help.
Old July 14, 2003, 21:57   #2
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 22:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've noticed this myself and IIRC quotes that use the [q] tag are not removed. So the solution is probably for everyone to get into the habit of using that tag and when they use the reply with quote feature to change the auto-placed tags appropriately.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 14, 2003, 23:47   #3
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 23:41
I just copy-paste and use quick reply with [quote]. Never found a real reason to use "post reply".
Old July 14, 2003, 23:53   #4
geeslaka
Prince

If you do that you have to put the smilies back in manually.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 15, 2003, 00:24   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:41
Quote:
Hmm?
Old July 15, 2003, 00:29   #6
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

you can't just select someones post and copy-paste it with the smiley code intact. That's what reply with quote can be good for.
Old July 15, 2003, 00:53   #7
geeslaka
Prince

Quote:
quote:

Hmm?
Notice how when you quoted me the smiley disappeared? Notice how when I quoted you the quote tags disappeared?
XGalaga.
Old July 15, 2003, 01:33   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:41
Reply with quote the original quote in a new window, cut-n-paste to achieve desired result.
Old July 15, 2003, 01:50   #9
geeslaka
Prince

It takes longer to open up the reply form than to use the quick reply box, so I only use the reply form when I want to attach something.
XGalaga.
Old July 15, 2003, 02:24   #10
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:41
Quote:
Originally posted by geeslaka
Quote:
quote:

Hmm?
Notice how when you quoted me the smiley disappeared? Notice how when I quoted you the quote tags disappeared?
Old July 15, 2003, 10:37   #11
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 02:41
I use that feature when I think that it is relevant to mention who wrote that text that I'm quoting, because the "reply with quote" automatically add the "originally posted by..." line.
Old July 15, 2003, 11:23   #12
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 06:41
Re: The "reply with quote" feature
[QUOTE] Originally posted by skywalker
I happen to use this feature pretty regularly, and I noticed a while back that, in the quote of the post I'm quoting, any quotes made with the [QUOTE] or
Quote:
tags are removed (I think I've seen ones that use the [q] tag included). This is extremely annoying. I understand that it can be convenient at times, but I think it's more of a hindrance than a help.
To get back to actually addressing the point made.

Yeah I agree at times, but I guess if the standard was to include the previous quotes then it could get chaotic unless the poster pruned. This way if you really feel the previous quote was necessary you can add it in manually. Probably it's the lesser of two evils.
Old July 15, 2003, 12:21   #13
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
you can't just select someones post and copy-paste it with the smiley code intact. That's what reply with quote can be good for.
I know. I don't want that smiley to be there.
Old July 16, 2003, 03:23   #14
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 00:41
I would like to see internal quotes included in quotes; I would also like to see the contents of [img] tags -- both of these are definately available.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.