Old July 15, 2003, 00:55   #1
pollyworth
Settler

Local Time: 05:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Terrorists for Civ4
I havent read all the threads, so I may have missed it...

But I think that certain cultures should be able to create terrorists. The unit would be sent to another country to destroy something or plant a bomb (like spys used to do) and there they would sleep for awhile until they strike, which would take maybe several years.

Also, these terrorist-supporting countries should be able to build terror camps in mountainous areas, which are strikable by other countries by tomahawk cruise missle from ship or by an air strike from an aircraft carrier, without having to declare war (it just slightly hurts your overall relationship with the rest of the world-- if your country hasn't already been struck by terrorism). You know, fit the game to suit the changing times.

Also, if you decide to be a country that supports terror (which allows you to build the terror camps) this decision will hurt your relationship with other countries, especially democracies.
Old July 15, 2003, 01:03   #2
Switch
Prince

Local Time: 00:42
Hmm...I wouldn't have it by country...big PR issues if ya go in that direction.

It would be better if they could only be created with certain governments, or in an alternate form of mobility (fanatacism?).

or maybe if corruption gets too high, they start making themselves and acting on their own, but you get the anger if they attack another nation (not necessarily war, but lowered disposition, and eventually war). Kinda like barbarians using your flag and weilding uzis.
Old July 15, 2003, 01:35   #3
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 21:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Good idea, but it might just complicate the game too much. The game is already really complicated.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 15, 2003, 02:55   #4
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Make it a special unit that's only buildable under the "fundamentalist" government type (we had it once, we can have it again). If the government changes from fundamentalist, the terrorists units make one sabotage attempt on whatever cities they're based in, and then disappear.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 15, 2003, 03:53   #5
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 06:42
We already have units with hidden nationality.

Ok, so the privateer is crap but people here have made guerilla units both invisible and with hidden nationality which had pretty much the same effect as a terrorist would.
Old July 15, 2003, 05:20   #6
pollyworth
Settler

I really don't think that this game is too complicated already. I played civ 2 and civ 3 to death, and you know why I stopped playing? Because there was nothing left to do I hadn't already done hundreds of times.

As a person gets better at the game, they learn new things. What I want most in civ 4 is the ability to play the game not for the destination, but for the journey.

And I want lots and lots of stuff to keep me busy, without having to go to war all the time.
Old July 15, 2003, 08:35   #7
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by pollyworth
And I want lots and lots of stuff to keep me busy, without having to go to war all the time.
Try to win without declaring war.
Old July 15, 2003, 11:49   #8
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Without declaring war, or without having war?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old July 16, 2003, 00:36   #9
pollyworth
Settler

Not without war
All I meant was, I wish this game focused more on nation building and maintaining than on world domination.
Old July 16, 2003, 02:04   #10
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Without declaring war, or without having war?
Without declaring war. It is quite impossible to have a game without war.
During my present game I was involved in several wars and I never declared war. I only refused giving a tech twice and the others were military alliances against me.
Old July 16, 2003, 04:11   #11
The Mad Monk
Emperor

In that case...I do it all the time.

I have to be genuinely angry at an imaginary, AI controlled country before I declare war on it. As you can imagine, that dosen't happen often.
Old July 16, 2003, 21:25   #12
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 22:42
I believe I've already brought this up...
Old July 17, 2003, 00:21   #13
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 21:42
Pollyworth-if you're bored of civ3, buy PTW and play multiplayer with some really good players. The elite will give you a run for your money. Even if you're a great player, they are always better ones.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 18, 2003, 08:31   #14
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

I'm tired of all this "terrorist" stuff...

The new iPod nano: nano
Old July 19, 2003, 04:26   #15
Vince278
King

You could probably do terrorist land units the same way privateers are done in CtP2. They were naval units under your control that weren't traceable to you.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)