Old July 15, 2003, 01:09   #1
pollyworth
Settler

Local Time: 05:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Nuclear suggestions for civ4
Nuclear suggestions for CIV 4.

If your country already has nukes and you dont want certain other countries to possess them, you should be able to pressure them into NOT acquiring that technology.

Also, in the real world, nukes are not easy to obtain for three reasons 1.technology 2.recources 3.production. While civ 3 covers all these bases, I would like it to be much more complicated to obtain these weapons, much more difficult.

And once you get them, you should be able to sell them to whomever you want. A spy planted in a country will be able to tell you if that country is planning to create or sell nuclear weapons. The spy will also be able to tell you how many nuclear weapons a country has and if they are tactical or ICBMs.
Old July 15, 2003, 01:37   #2
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 21:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yeah good idea but this is civ, not real life. The system they have now is simple and is fine. The idea might just complicate the game too much. The game is already really complicated.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 15, 2003, 01:41   #3
johncmcleod
Prince

Also keep in mind that in civ there are way less civilizations than there are in real life, so that means the average civ has a much greater percentage possesion of land of the earth, meaning a civ3 civ is bigger. The bigger/more influential civs in real life are the ones that get nukes, so the civs in civ3 have a much better chance of getting nukes than your average country today.

That's why you don't need the new system.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 15, 2003, 05:36   #4
pollyworth
Settler

The decision to use nukes should be a BIG ONE. And they should have a much more devistating effect... like rendering land usless and uninhabitable for a thousand years. (yeah, I know, there's people living in hiroshima and nagasaki now, but the bombs they dropped back then pale in compairison to an ICBM of today.

Therefore, the countries that dont already have them should be pressured not to build them by the countries that do (that is, if nuclear war hasn't already broken out!)
Old July 15, 2003, 08:30   #5
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 06:42
Re: Nuclear suggestions for civ4
Quote:
Originally posted by pollyworth
The spy will also be able to tell you how many nuclear weapons a country has and if they are tactical or ICBMs.
Already possible.
Old July 15, 2003, 12:22   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 01:42
Quote:
Originally posted by pollyworth
The decision to use nukes should be a BIG ONE. And they should have a much more devistating effect... like rendering land usless and uninhabitable for a thousand years. (yeah, I know, there's people living in hiroshima and nagasaki now, but the bombs they dropped back then pale in compairison to an ICBM of today.

Therefore, the countries that dont already have them should be pressured not to build them by the countries that do (that is, if nuclear war hasn't already broken out!)
True but the properties of radiation has not changed.
That aside, I always wanted to make Nukes much harder to aquire and the backlash of their use much greater.
In fact I had hope the Manahantten Project would not be a great wonder and not enable nukes for all, only for the ones that build it. It should be a super wonder, much more epxensive to make and maintain.
More than 50 years after the Manhatten Project, how many nations have nukesas a percent of the world?
Old July 15, 2003, 12:46   #7
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 22:42
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
Yeah good idea but this is civ, not real life. The system they have now is simple and is fine. The idea might just complicate the game too much. The game is already really complicated.
Shouldn't be that complicated. I'm not sure if it is CTP2 Vanilla, or one of the mods, but there is the diplomatic option to demand that a civ "stop researching that technology" under the threat of war, IIRC. It's a very cool option, and IMO, reflects the real world pressure countries place on those trying to obtain various WMD technologies.
Old July 15, 2003, 21:13   #8
vmxa1
Deity

This brings up an option I have longed for many times. To be able to demand that they not make an alliance. The same for the research, would be useful.
Old July 15, 2003, 21:50   #9
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Once again, folks clamor for improved diplomacy options!

I agree that nuclear war should be more costly in terms of shields and political cost. I like the idea of Manhattan being a major wonder that each civ would need to research....makes the threshold a little higher. It seems that ai civs use nukes as easily as they do jets or tanks...its just another military option.

Has anyone seen a situation where the ai civ had nukes but did not use them in a war?
Old July 15, 2003, 22:15   #10
johncmcleod
Prince

Quote:
Has anyone seen a situation where the ai civ had nukes but did not use them in a war?
Yes.

I agree, nukes aren't nearly powerful enough and they're used way too often. If a city got nuked by an ICBM the area would be uninhabitable for a very long time.
Old July 15, 2003, 22:19   #11
Mad Bomber
King

I typically find that the AI will refrain from using nukes until I take a few of their cities that have ICBMS, after they lose a few of them they start flinging them around like a mad banshee.
Then they get nuked.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old July 15, 2003, 22:27   #12
vmxa1
Deity

I do not have all that many games that the AI gets nukes, but when they do, if I have a bunch they are a bit slower to use them. They will use them though.

Last edited by vmxa1; July 16, 2003 at 01:33.
Old July 15, 2003, 23:15   #13
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 22:42
I’ve only had the AI initiate nukes against me once. I was fighting an MPP inspired war with India as an ally against the Iroquois and we were systematically taking every Iroquois city. Once the AI launched, its choice of cities seemed near random – one that I had recently taken from it, still full of its citizen, and highly unproductive. India in turned launched and – IIRC, this game was some months ago – they went back and forth for a turn or two and the Iroquois left me out of the subsequent fire storm.

I have fought destructive wars (for them) against AIs which have had nukes, but no other AI has used them on me.
Old July 15, 2003, 23:40   #14
johncmcleod
Prince

I've heard from everyone that the AI uses its nukes poorly, but from my experience the AI seems ok at using them. But then again, I don't fight many nuclear wars. There is nothing worse in civ3 than seeing your favorite city, especially when it has a high pop and is very productive, get flattened.
Old July 15, 2003, 23:47   #15
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
I think a few simple acts would make nukes far more realistic.

One: Cities under 4 should disappear when nuked. Cities should suffer 75% causlties when nuked. If you whish to offset the pop loss, a number of "refugees" could be formed (in the form of a settler or more).

Two: introduce a new type of pollution, "fallout", that appears only with respect to nukes or nucelar meltdowns. Make it 500% more time consuming than normal pollution to clean up.

Three: all major buildings in a city should be destroyed by a nuke. A simple way to measure this would be to automatically take out anything that needs more than 2 gold for upkeep. This means cities that are nuked can not be brought back to worthiwhile production very quickly, as it is possible now.

Perhaps a difference in power should be introduced: tactical nueks should be weaker than ICBM's in their effects.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 15, 2003, 23:48   #16
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
Also, fallout should not contribute to Global warming. If one whishes to introduce a "nuclear winter effect" once enough fallout is out there, it would be interesting.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 16, 2003, 00:15   #17
pollyworth
Settler

make nuclear war a non-feasible option
If a nuclear war breaks out between two countries, I think it should have a devestating effect on the entire world, not just pollution-wise. I think a nuclear war should spiral all countries into recession, making it a very non-feasible option by all--a very last choice by all (except terrorist supporting countries who--if they can get their hands on one--can use it with little ill effect on their own country... one of the benefits of using terrorism.)

Last edited by pollyworth; July 16, 2003 at 00:30.
Old July 16, 2003, 01:29   #18
johncmcleod
Prince

I really like GePap's ideas. I was going to mention the one about cities under a certain size being wiped out by nukes, but I decided not to because at first I thought any city should be razed by a nuke. I mean, if New York got nuked I think no one would live there anymore. They'd all die or the people at the outer edges of the city who didn't suffer immediate damage from radiation would move out of the city. Radiation would cover the whole city, and radiation greatly multiplies the chance of getting cancer. So I don't think anyone would live there. But now I think the best way to do it is all buildings with an upkeep above 2 gpt (what Gepap said) should be destroyed, no food or commerce within the city radius can be produced, all towns 6 and under should be razed, and the population should be lowered to one. I decided on the last because a large city getting nuked would still be there, even if hardly anyone was there.

And how about if one civs fires off any nukes, all civs will nuke that civ immediately unless they have a military alliance with the civ that fired the nuke against the civ that got hit by it.
Old July 16, 2003, 05:08   #19
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

Two: introduce a new type of pollution, "fallout", that appears only with respect to nukes or nucelar meltdowns. Make it 500% more time consuming than normal pollution to clean up.
Very interesting. I've always hated that "fallout" counted against global warming. I guess I always thought of that as "different" pollution.

Good idea.