Old July 15, 2003, 09:45   #31
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 00:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Pekka is going to be a Finnish-American.
He knows whats what.
Old July 15, 2003, 09:45   #32
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 08:42
well if you want to put it that way. I usually just say Europe is part of Finland.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old July 15, 2003, 09:46   #33
red_jon
NationStates
King

Local Time: 05:42
Didn't we save America from the Spanish and the French?

You'd all be speaking French if it weren't for us!
Old July 15, 2003, 09:47   #34
red_jon
NationStates
King

I'm sure you would agree that is far, far worse.
Old July 15, 2003, 09:47   #35
Pekka
Emperor

and I forgot to say.. the part we don't like!
Old July 15, 2003, 11:04   #36
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 02:42
Finland saves the world? Ah, it is a work of fiction.
Old July 15, 2003, 11:06   #37
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 06:42
I was pretty sure it was an RAF plane at the end but. *shrug*

We've got both kinds
Old July 15, 2003, 11:11   #38
Felch
Civilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 01:42
I liked it, and the darker stuff did stay in the American release. I'd love to see the DVD when it comes out.
Old July 15, 2003, 11:22   #39
Pekka
Emperor

Even if it was RAF plane, it doesn't matter, it was Finns you flew the planes and saved the world . Thanks for excellent planes!
Old July 15, 2003, 11:23   #40
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I liked it. I did nott hink it to be as 'scary' as it was made out to be, but that is because it keeps the violence to short burts (up until the manor scene), which I think is a good decision. I like all the down time to meet the characters, it makes you care about them more. The movie was also shot very well: there is one point, when the cab drives by a field of flowers, that it lookss like an impresionist painting: very nice.

Great movie overall, specially on how relatively small the budget was.

As for the plane: The guy is certainly not speaking English.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 15, 2003, 11:25   #41
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
Sorry Peka, but Finns did not save the world, or Europe. You guys did a fine job saving yourselves for about 6-8 months, until the Russkies got what they wanted, and ended up keeping it and a lot more.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 15, 2003, 11:25   #42
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
Also many modern fighting tactics were adopted from us, still used today. Like many formations and tactics how to attack fleets with lesser amount of planes etc using the support fire from top planes that sneak unnoticed, then using multiple angles from top, back and side. So, the joke is on you!
source.
Old July 15, 2003, 11:29   #43
Pekka
Emperor

H Tower, I learned them in the army. And the reason I learned them was because we needed to learn different types of attacks fighters make on convoys, other objects like buildings, other planes etc. They are not used 100% the same way, but they were adopted, and then modified to suit the more modern dog fights etc.

I can try look them up, but right now I can't be bothered to go through my notes I made few years ago .

and I'm NOT saying all tactics are adopted. Just few different types of attacks.
Old July 15, 2003, 11:53   #44
Soul Survivor
Settler

I just saw the movie last night, my first impression was, not bad but nothing special.

But I can't stop thinking about it, the more I think about it the more I like it.

The cinematography was great, the whole movie just had a dreary, futile feel to it - especially when they see all of Manchester burning. Or the garbage and destruction in the streets of London, or the church packed with infected people.

It wasn't very scary, nor over violent - both had there purposes and neither really overwhelmed the movie. There was also comic relief, like when the father was getting alcohol in the grocery store or the chef in his apron making dinner.

The only one minor plot hole was when Jim walked into that shack.... it didn't make sense that he would risk his life going in there for what? A cheeseburger.

What made the movie really interesting was the moral choices the different characters had to make. And how everything seemed to be a part of human nature, most of the people still uninfected had abandoned morality, and taken on a nearly nihilistic view of life. In some ways they were forced to, because they had to kill friends, family, children without a second thought or watch them die in front of them. Rape, murder, larceny - all of it wasn't important, there was only survival.
Old July 26, 2003, 03:56   #45
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 22:42
I think I need to see this film.

It has the alternate ending. And I'd love to see a film with a darker ending.
Old July 26, 2003, 04:14   #46
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Bah, I didn't really like it. Of course, everyone here thought I was a heretic for not liking Identity either.
Just your typical, run of the mill, zombie flick.
Old July 26, 2003, 04:15   #47
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by red_jon
And the plane had been flown over the same place numerous times - why would the Finns be so obsessed with England?
To make sure I was really dead, of course. I think I'm still on Finland's "Most wanted" list, filed under "Terminate with maximum prejudice".
Old July 26, 2003, 04:16   #48
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

It's a good film. The part where one of the main characters gets abruptly hacked to pieces by the heroine is genuinely shocking.
Old July 26, 2003, 19:22   #49
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
It's a good film. The part where one of the main characters gets abruptly hacked to pieces by the heroine is genuinely shocking.
If you slow-mo it just right on the DVD, you can see his arm be hacked off.

What?
Old July 26, 2003, 19:24   #50
red_jon
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Soul Survivor
The only one minor plot hole was when Jim walked into that shack.... it didn't make sense that he would risk his life going in there for what? A cheeseburger.
He was just doing a bit of exploring to be a bit rebellious in a way - remember everyone had pretty much told him what to do until that point in the film. The actual cheeseburgers would have gone off by then - it obviously wasn't for the food.
Old July 29, 2003, 00:05   #51
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Okay just got back from seeing it.

First of all I can't say for sure what kind of plane it was. It kind of looked like a harrier. Can anyone verify this? Which would mean it is probably operating off of a aircraft carrier. One would assume navy ships would be safe from the infection. British carriers are not nuclear, but one could assume there are fuel ships out there as well to keep it going for 28 days. Though they would run out of food eventually. As at least in the american version- it said another 28 days past after escaping from the military outpost.

I would imagine England is a little too far for Finnish fighter jets to operate from- and it didn't look like a F/A-18 Hornet to me- I've walked in between those jets for years. It didn't quite look like a harrier, but kind of- That is what my assumption of it to be was. Though the Finnish probalby have air tankers as the U.S. has- but I can't see why they would continure flying over England. If the whole world is infected- why would anyone care about poor ole England . And Finland is attached to Europe- you would expect them to be infected as well.

The movie isn't that realistic in many aspects. But I found it entertaining. It was nice seeing a foreign film . You'd be suprised how infrequently foreign films show in major movie multiplexes. Thankfully the English speak English

There are so many questions and scenarios that would come about in such an event. I touched on one earlier with the navy ships. They would be unaffected. Along with people in the space station and remote outposts in Greenland, Alaska, Antartica- you name it. And of course you have nuclear submarines the U.S. has that can remain underwater for 3 months at a time. Humanity would not be lost by a long shot.

In fact most major islands would remain unaffected. One can only assume that Paris and New York were affected because an infected got on a plane. That would be one hell of an interesting plane ride! . This is where the plot runs thin. Because it is unlikely a plane would take off with an infected person on board- and since the infection time is 20 seconds- well that is not enough time for someone to get through the concourse, on the plane, taxi down the runway etc.

It is more plausible the goverment fed the news media the information that New York and Paris were infected. But there is nothing in the film to indicate that- though one soldier late mentions that England is an island- and everyone else is probably normal- and they are the one's being quarantined.

Sadly the biggest plot hole is the 20 second infection. That is too fast for it to spread around the world. It just can't be done. more plausible was Captain Trips- you know the virus in the stephen King book and later movie- The Stand. That virus took a few days before it started affecting people- and even then it look like a cold or flu. Because I can't even see how the infection spread beyond London and its suburbs. The infected are incapable of driving or any other form of transportation. They cannot feasibly get between cities.

Last edited by Dis; July 29, 2003 at 00:13.
Old July 29, 2003, 00:44   #52
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

you mean it wasn't a film about a woman's period?

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old July 29, 2003, 02:38   #53
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Oh I forgot to mention.

What's with the full frontal male nudity? WTF . No wonder people think the English are gay . They show the guy naked, but not the girl. Something is wrong here.
Old July 29, 2003, 04:48   #54
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Apparently the plane was a Hawker Hunter.

http://www.hawkerhunter.co.uk

We've got both kinds
Old July 29, 2003, 05:34   #55
Soul Survivor
Settler

I thought they only said the virus had spread to NY and Paris to keep people in England. The rest of the world just wanted to isolate the island. Its unlikely it could have spread from England to Paris much less New York. If there was anyone infected on a ship or plane it would most likely crash or sink killing everyone and everything on board. Maybe by other flying animals, but that wouldn't explain New York.....
Old July 29, 2003, 06:09   #56
Ned
King

Local Time: 21:42
It was a very good science fiction film A must see.
Old July 29, 2003, 08:12   #57
red_jon
NationStates
King

The virus could feasably spread by train and the infected could get into the cargo holds of ships.

Personally though, I think the reports of the disease spreading to Paris and New York are fake - Paris isn't even coastal! It would be far more likely for somewhere like Calais to be infected first.
Old July 29, 2003, 14:56   #58
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Don't forget the Chunnel!

That is one way it could spread to Paris.

but unlikely it could get to New York. They said it reached New York when power was still on and the news broadcasts were still coming in- that rules out the cargo hold of a ship. It would have to be by plane.

In any case the point is moot.

I do think the director's intention was that it was a lie planted by either the U.S./French and/or the British goverment (to avoid chaos and trampling from people trying to get out of the country).

The important clue here is what the other seargent said who was in that prison/holding cell with Jim. He was the only sane one of the group I gather. And he said that England was an island and the rest of the world was just fine.

Another clue is the contrails Jim saw while he was laying on his back in that field.
Old July 29, 2003, 14:58   #59
Japher
Emperor

I like how it took only 3-4 posts to turn from a thread about "if you have or have not seen a certain movie" to "if you have or have not heard of Finland's airforce"...

Old July 29, 2003, 15:18   #60
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
Oh I forgot to mention.

What's with the full frontal male nudity? WTF . No wonder people think the English are gay . They show the guy naked, but not the girl. Something is wrong here.
Go watch Resident Evil for the counter-nudity