Old November 30, 2003, 02:46   #391
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ok, finally find time to get my turn done. Really sorry about it. And also you'll see a reload warning. Was attempting to do the turn but was interrupted like 3 minutes later, didn't really do anything. And I did save it but couldn't find it again. Sorry. Please hit me on my head.

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 1, 2003, 07:49   #392
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 06:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Turn 2194 to Rubin
Old December 1, 2003, 22:25   #393
Rubin
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer

Local Time: 07:48
Hercules: I've got the turn. However, I need you to confirm that you played it using SMAC version 5.0 before I play 2194 -- I also sent you an e-mail. We all need to use the same version of the game.
Old December 2, 2003, 19:00   #394
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

My version is the Planetary expansion pack. Does that help?
Old December 2, 2003, 19:52   #395
Rubin
staff

Hercules: The Planetary Pack is version 4.0, I believe. You can see the version information in the in-game menu. You need the Win 2000/XP Compatibility Update (get it here). Don't let the patch name confuse you as it is highly misleading...

Please play the 2194 turn again (like you've already done) using the version 5.0.
Old December 4, 2003, 19:25   #396
Hercules
Deity

Sorry you had better explain the significance of this patch 5
Old December 4, 2003, 20:18   #397
Hercules
Deity

I checked the FAQs again. I am OK I believe.
Old December 4, 2003, 20:36   #398
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Captain Hercules, I think Rubin's worried that if you are not upgraded to patch 5 the Hive and Morgan would not be able to pop boom. It may not affect uni but we are not sure if the fix will still work for Hive and Morgan if everybody don't use the same version of the game.

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 5, 2003, 02:36   #399
Rubin
staff

Rumblers:
I hold a messed up save of the 2194 turn. The problem is the economy of the game. Hercules' faction is only paying 1/3 of the upkeep costs. I'm sorry to say that I don't find this acceptable and my interest in the game would drop significantly if I we are not all using version 5.0.

The turn pace has been appalling lately. Of course, this was expected. However, adding this to the current problems, I'm having trouble keeping my interest in the game going. Let's see if we can resolve the issues and get back on track quickly.

What do we do?
Old December 5, 2003, 05:48   #400
Hercules
Deity

Refer the turns to Darsnan or other CMN and ask him his opinion on the matter.
Old December 5, 2003, 05:58   #401
Hercules
Deity

Re SMAC 5
Quote:
This update resolves several issues between Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Windows 2000 and XP machines.

This update is only needed for Alpha Centauri owners who have Windows 2000 or XP and are having problems getting the game to run OR if you play multiplayer games with other players who have installed this patch.

If you are not having problems running Alpha Centauri on your PC and you do not play multiplayer games with other players who have installed this patch, you should not install the patch.
Old December 5, 2003, 06:07   #402
Hercules
Deity

I don't have Windows 2000 or XP. Note the 'should not install the patch' comment at the end.
Old December 5, 2003, 20:19   #403
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

Herc:

I don't particularly care whether you install the patch or not. I am, however, interested in getting the game moving again. The 2000/XP patch works fine on my WindowsME machine.

CHIP
Old December 5, 2003, 23:23   #404
Snowflake
Princess

Quote:
If you are not having problems running Alpha Centauri on your PC and you do not play multiplayer games with other players who have installed this patch, you should not install the patch.
Captain I think the bolded phrase actually defines our situation right now, ie, we are playing multiplayer games with other players who have installed this patch. From my point of view, I don't know how to pop boom as Hive anyway and I am not attempting it so I don't really need it. But I think maybe Rubin is in need of that. Also is it safer if we all have the same version of the patch installed? I mean we don't want the game to crash in the middle or anything like that happens. But again maybe it won't happen anyway. So really I am indifferent.

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 6, 2003, 00:43   #405
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

I don't know Darsnan, but he seems knowledgeable.

Hercules, if he tells us the patch version makes a difference--in particular, if its absence gives you an advantage over us--would you switch?

Rubin, if he tells us the patch version doesn't make a difference, would you continue playing?

(It's another Boy Scout campout weekend. I'll be out all day Saturday and Sunday morning.)

CHIP
Old December 6, 2003, 15:40   #406
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 01:48
To All,

The words accompanying the download are relatively clear:

"This update resolves several issues between Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Windows 2000 and XP machines.

This update is only needed for Alpha Centauri owners who have Windows 2000 or XP and are having problems getting the game to run OR if you play multiplayer games with other players who have installed this patch.

If you are not having problems running Alpha Centauri on your PC and you do not play multiplayer games with other players who have installed this patch, you should not install the patch."

For whatever reason, the patch does affect multiplay, according to the wording. From my perspective, because you all are going to put a lot of effort and time into this game (one of my games is over two years old now! ), why I would therefore strongly recommend that since some players have to play with the patch (i.e. because their systems require it in order to play), that all players download and apply this patch to their machines, so that all players are on an even playing field, and no one is at an advantage. FYI.

D
Old December 8, 2003, 10:17   #407
Hercules
Deity

I have downloaded the patch to my E Drive. and copied Smac to my e drive, leaving all my other games in another drive.

Does anyone know that if I install the patch will the programme also try to change SMAC in my other drive.
Old December 10, 2003, 23:31   #408
Hercules
Deity

After much deliberation and trial and error. (Hey that patch is mighty big for a patch 8.800+K)

There was a confusing message about uninstalling but I think I have the upgrade v.5 patch now in place.

Turn sent to Rubin.
So check to see if there is the significant difference between this and the previous 2194.
Unfortunately I could not remember the precise moves I played. But it is your economy that is the key isn't it.

If this works, then seperately it might be interesting playing an experimental game for certain period of moves, playing exactly the same moves but using V4 and V5. This just to measure the exact effects, especially the maintenance cost bug.

I would imagine 3/4 would be enough to cover Morgan, the Hive.

Anyway that's for later. Hope this gets the show on the road again.
Old December 12, 2003, 22:57   #409
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

GNN is on the air!

AUDIO
http://www.thebucknerhome.com/SMAC/Gufnork2195.MP3

TRANSCRIPT
http://www.thebucknerhome.com/SMAC/Gufnork2195.htm

Turn to HongHu.

Last edited by Chip_Buckner; December 13, 2003 at 18:10.
Old December 13, 2003, 13:45   #410
Snowflake
Princess

GNN is cool!!! (First time listenning. ) Hey Chip can I get you to join the ACDG Hive team and produce Pravda on air for us?

(The transcript needs some line breaks.)

Turn will be played tonight.

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 13, 2003, 18:11   #411
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

HongHu:

Thanks for you kind words. I usually post the transcript in HTML, but forgot this time. I have updated the link, which should make it easier to read.

CHIP
Old December 14, 2003, 00:24   #412
Hercules
Deity

Hi
Hercules has not only interests in things Greek but also refers those interested to the Hercules references in Smacx for example Alpha Centauri B.
Old December 14, 2003, 03:26   #413
Snowflake
Princess

turn sent

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 14, 2003, 22:56   #414
Hercules
Deity

Sorry I had difficulty with that turn. First, I forgot
to empty my recycle bin. Crash.
Turn two I don't know. At the end of the turn I tried to save and it
just froze.Hence turn three.

Turn 2195 to Rubin
Old December 15, 2003, 03:08   #415
Rubin
staff

M.Y. 2195 Complete
Rubinic Report, M.Y. 2195

*Public Announcement, M.Y. 2195*
Brother Lal of the Peacekeepers has authorized a secret project, codenamed The Hunter-Seeker Algorithm.

End of Report

Turn 2196 passed to Lord Chip of the Gaians.
Old December 15, 2003, 22:49   #416
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

GNN is on the air!
http://www.thebucknerhome.com/SMAC/Gufnork2196.MP3
Turn to HongHu.

[Lal is not the only one it seems ... to what?]

Last edited by Chip_Buckner; December 16, 2003 at 00:17.
Old December 15, 2003, 23:44   #417
Hercules
Deity

Brother LaL is not the only one it seems.
Old December 16, 2003, 00:31   #418
Snowflake
Princess

Turn sent

Grapefruit Garden
Old December 16, 2003, 02:01   #419
Rubin
staff

M.Y. 2196 Complete
Rubinic Report, M.Y. 2196
After two years of pointless and seemingly undocumented vendetta with the Hive, Chairman HongHu and CEO Rubin finally got to re-signing a trade treaty.
The increasing numbers of infiltrators on Chiron is no longer a threat to the Rubinites. Our engineers have completed the highly coveted Hunter-Seeker Algorithm. Meanwhile Brother Lal is becoming a serious nuisance. So far, our diplomatic efforts have been all in vain.
End of Report

Turn 2197 passed to Lord Chip

Last edited by Rubin; December 16, 2003 at 21:16.
Old December 16, 2003, 23:36   #420
Chip_Buckner
ACDG3 Gaians
Prince

... and on to HongHu. Broadcast to follow when I think of something half-way clever to say.