Old July 16, 2003, 23:18   #31
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 21:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010

I think Cloud9 also forgot that Microsoft owns part of Apple.

Mis Novias
Old July 16, 2003, 23:19   #32
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 01:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
So you only use Mac for the OS? You don't care about the hardware of the computer or anything?
Yes. Why would I care about the hardware?
Old July 16, 2003, 23:19   #33
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Local Time: 23:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
Though Linux Geeks will continue to post silly little news stories in hopes that their zealot OS finally "beats the bad guy."
Patience. These things don't happen overnight.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old July 16, 2003, 23:19   #34
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

I call bullshit!
* Asher kicks you in the groin for thinking everyone here is dumb enough to buy into that.
Unfortunately only an idiot would believe anything you say.

Go take a pill.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:20   #35
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 02:48
Quote:
Fez: "Competition is a weapon to increase production" - Che Guevara.
What a hypocrite...

Competition is integral in capitalism... not communism.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:21   #36
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon

Go take a pill.
You put up a bunch of numbers without citing, so I think Asher is in a good position to call it bullshit.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:22   #37
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Ok, then... don't you also think that perhaps Apple users everywhere might benefit if it had a competitor on Apple hardware? Instead of Apple trying to prevent any 3rd parties from doing anything to help the user?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 16, 2003, 23:23   #38
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Windows is an objectionable piece of software from a user's perspective but not half as objectionable as the MS monopoly which has prevented users from enjoying the benefits of a competitive market in OS software.
Hey, here's a tiny little flaw with that argument:
You and Cloud9 both demonstrate that this simply isn't true. You both, after all, are completely moronic when it comes to computers but both have figured out how to acquire competitive OSes, namely MacOS and Linux.

Why don't you sit on that for a while before you tell us MS prevents users from using other OS software?

Further, why don't you look at how hypocritical such a stance is when you buy computers from Apple, who has honestly prevented users from enjoying the benefits of a competitive hardware market by forcing those companies out of business?

Quote:
If you want to know how bad MS is just look at IE for the Macintosh. Almost nobody used it because it was so bad.
That's bullshit -- everyone I know at school with an iBook used IE. Most now use Safari, because it's precious Apple. IE on Mac is usually considered to be even better than IE on Windows.

Quote:
Finally, in desperation, Apple got hold of Konqueror and modified it to run on OS X.
Apple got ahold of Konqueror because MS told them a year ago it was discontinuing the "standalone" IE, both on Windows and on MacOS, and it (rightfully) decided it needed an alternative.

Nice spin attempt, though.

Agathon, this ain't no philosophy thread, we need to stay grounded in the realities of our world.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:23   #39
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

I think Cloud9 also forgot that Microsoft owns part of Apple.
I think Ted Striker forgot that MS bought this stake in Apple because they were worried about the DOJ.

People who can't understand why Linux will thrash Windows don't understand economics. Businesses use MS software because it was artificially cheap in that you could pirate one copy of word onto all your machines. Now MS is preventing people from doing that by installing spyware on your machine.

And why on earth would any business owner put themselves at the mercy of one supplier if they could help it?
Old July 16, 2003, 23:24   #40
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:

Go take a pill.
I just took three!

You're the one that quoted patently bullshit figures, suspciously without a source.

You are a stunning example of why Philosophy people are laughed down upon on campuses all across the world.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:25   #41
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

You put up a bunch of numbers without citing, so I think Asher is in a good position to call it bullshit.
The only reason Asher is in a good position to talk about bullshit is that the dirty dog smells it's own smell first.

The guy is a dope when it comes to economics and business anyway.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:25   #42
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Now MS is preventing people from doing that by installing spyware on your machine.
Source.

And surely they would go to Apple.... NOT!
Old July 16, 2003, 23:25   #43
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

That's why I and all other rational computer users support the adoption of Linux as a means to freeing users from a destructive monopoly.
You're speaking for all rational computer users?

I've used every OS known to mankind but nobody, I mean nobody, comes as close to XP as having a usable, service desktop.

Mis Novias
Old July 16, 2003, 23:26   #44
Giancarlo
King

Quote:

A communist is in no position to talk about economics and business. He is an illiterate about the subject.

So concede defeat, commie.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:26   #45
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

Source.
My copy of Office looks around the network to make sure I'm not running multiple copies. Apparently rumour has it that it also "phones home" every so often.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:26   #46
Mr. Nice Guy
Mac
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Ok, then... don't you also think that perhaps Apple users everywhere might benefit if it had a competitor on Apple hardware? Instead of Apple trying to prevent any 3rd parties from doing anything to help the user?
Actually, they do. IBM and Motorola both make processors for the Mac platform. Although Moto is looking to sell its semiconductor business to another company. When that happens, it's very likely that the other company will pick up where Moto left off and hopefully do a much better job than Moto by putting a lot of R&D $ into its semiconductor business.
"And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17
Old July 16, 2003, 23:27   #47
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

I've used every OS known to mankind but nobody, I mean nobody, comes as close to XP as having a usable, service desktop.
And you can predict how things would have been if MS didn't have a monopoly?
Old July 16, 2003, 23:28   #48
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
People who can't understand why Linux will thrash Windows don't understand economics.
Really? Please educate the Economics B.A.'s here . Saying all businesses only use Windows and Microsoft products because it is easily pirated is one of the most ridiculous statements you've ever uttered .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 16, 2003, 23:28   #49
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
People who can't understand why Linux will thrash Windows don't understand economics.
People who can't understand why Linux is not going to dominate don't understand economics.

If Open Source was genuinely cheaper, don't you think more people would use it?

Look at how many billions of dollars IBM invests in Linux. They just hired some hundred more software engineers the other day to develop PowerPC Linux products because they underestimated the laziness of the open source development community, no one was making the code they thought they would.

Netscape just fired its main 50 software engineers for Mozilla and spun off all copyrights to the Mozilla foundation.

A simple analysis of the situation will tell you that Open Source is not the holy grail. It's another way to approach computing products, it's certainly not better (nor is it worse, mind you).

It's just not effective in most cases.

Surely you'll make the case about how Linux is increasing marketshare in the server/workstation market? Windows is increasing as well, faster in fact when you take into accout volume...

You also grossly underestimate the support/services aspect. Hell, Dell was just given hundreds of millions on a contract with the US Government and all they're doing is providing support.

The upfront cost of the software is a tiny factor in TCO.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:28   #50
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I can see it both ways. Sure, it would be nice for customers if a lower cost hardware alternative existed that ran Mac OS. Then again, Apple is dependent on hardware sales to survive, so allowing clones to take over the market might end up killing off the Mac OS entirely. Also, having to design the Mac OS for innumerable hardware configurations might turn Mac OS into bloatware like XP. A diverse choice of hardware isn't necessarily a good thing.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:28   #51
Giancarlo
King

Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly, Agathon.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:29   #52
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

You are a stunning example of why Philosophy people are laughed down upon on campuses all across the world.
Only on campuses like your third rate agricultural college. Go to a real university and you'll find it's different. I've had several CS students in my classes.

Of course you have to be good to get in to such a university - so I'm afraid you're screwed.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:31   #53
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Apparently rumour has it that it also "phones home" every so often.
It does. You need to find the "Microsoft Database Daemon" and throw it in the Trash if you don't want to be spied on. Threw mine away a while ago and it greatly improved my system performance.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:31   #54
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
The only reason Asher is in a good position to talk about bullshit is that the dirty dog smells it's own smell first.
"Takes one to know one!" How swell, Agathon, you soar to new heights.

Quote:
If you removed the "a", you'd be absolutely correct. I've clearly got a better understanding of the economics and business world than you.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:31   #55
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Yes they do. I don't see how you can deny this obvious fact.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:32   #56
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

If Open Source was genuinely cheaper, don't you think more people would use it?
It's not just the price, there are issues of compatibility etc. You know this so stop trolling.

Quote:
Look at how many billions of dollars IBM invests in Linux. They just hired some hundred more software engineers the other day to develop PowerPC Linux products because they underestimated the laziness of the open source development community, no one was making the code they thought they would.
Your point being? I'm not one of these digital anarchists. I think it's great that IBM is investing money in Linux. Everyone benefits.

Quote:
A simple analysis of the situation will tell you that Open Source is not the holy grail. It's another way to approach computing products, it's certainly not better (nor is it worse, mind you).
Better for some, worse for others.

Quote:
It's just not effective in most cases.
I never said it was. You must have mistaken me for someone else.

Quote:
Surely you'll make the case about how Linux is increasing marketshare in the server/workstation market? Windows is increasing as well, faster in fact when you take into accout volume...
We'll see. My claim is that Linux will dominate sooner or later. Give it 5 years and then come back.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:33   #57
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:48
Quote:

Only on campuses like your third rate agricultural college. Go to a real university and you'll find it's different. I've had several CS students in my classes.

Of course you have to be good to get in to such a university - so I'm afraid you're screwed.
Jerry! Jerry!!
Old July 16, 2003, 23:33   #58
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
The UofT sucks for CompSci. The UofC kicks their ass in the ACM Programming Championships...

And the UofC isn't an agricultural college...hell, we don't even offer agricultural courses (IIRC, Saskatchewan is big on that).

It's a geomatics/geology/geophysics/medicine school mostly, with a great CS department.
Old July 16, 2003, 23:34   #59
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

I think Ted Striker forgot that MS bought this stake in Apple because they were worried about the DOJ.
Who cares about the reason. They own part of it, plain and simple. Though the version I remember at the time that "Apple was in trouble."

Quote:
People who can't understand why Linux will thrash Windows don't understand economics. Businesses use MS software because it was artificially cheap in that you could pirate one copy of word onto all your machines. Now MS is preventing people from doing that by installing spyware on your machine.
Ahh yes, I've heard this argument since 1995. Over and over again. "We'll have our day!!!" Well. I'm waiting.

I have NEVER worked for a company or a school that didn't keep track of every single license of software they use. The penalties for pirating software far outweigh trying to get away with it and saving a few bucks. Trust me I've seen it happen.

Secondly it's only geeks that think Linux will overtake Microsoft. Geeks can't think mainstream because they are geeks. They accept standards other people don't play by. When I see the word "GNU" then honestly the first thing I think of is the word, "mediocre."

The user interfaces are unattractive. The distributions are bloated and nonintuitive, and not tested for enterprise level work. And the only apps that DO have a chance are lucky to have had millions of dollars of corporate backing by IBM and Oracle. And then you still have to pay ALOT for IBM's and Oracle's software on Linux anyway.

The distributions that are intuitive owe their success to copying Windows-like interfaces.

Mis Novias
Old July 16, 2003, 23:34   #60
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
Yes they do. I don't see how you can deny this obvious fact.
No they don't. A real monopoly is one like the Kuwaiti Petroleum Company (or something along those lines). It is the only company that does oil extraction in Kuwait.

Microsoft has Linux... and since Apple puts out Mac OS it is also considered a competitor.