Old July 23, 2003, 17:43   #91
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I agree we should be able to make donations to 'Poly.
Old July 23, 2003, 19:02   #92
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 00:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator
I think that's going a bit far, especially since then that accountant would also have to be paid.

I don't think it needs to be anonymous, as long as Apolyton makes it clear from the start you will not gain any benefits in return.
I agree that it should not matter if poly makes things clear up front. I was offering a solution if it was needed. I dare say Markos, Dan, or somebody in the loop here has an accountant already.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old October 21, 2003, 07:55   #93
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 07:53
Although Poly appears to be much more stable place these days, I came up with a wild and perhaps silly idea to avoid complete Poly blackouts.

What if someone would try to develope a P2P forum software?
Here's how it could work. You log on, start browsing the forums, see an intresting thread and reply to it. Replying to the thread would also require you to download and share the thread. Same thing with thread viewing, you sort of subscribe to the thread and download it. There would be a light log on everyones computer that would refresh , say every 10 secs. The refresh time would not be user customizable to avoid cross-posting.

This way we could lighten the burden of the central ACS server, which would remain as the core where to subscribe to new threads and i.e. download them for the first time and the router of the log-system. The whole forum would not crash totally if central ACS server would go offline.

This is where the sharing part jumps in. If the ACS server is down and the "ACS forum program" couldnt contact the server, the system would turn into a P2P mode. It would still continue to refresh logs of the existing threads from other users thus allowing us to keep posting to them while the forum itself would be down. No new threads could be created of course but the discussion wouldnt freeze like it has done so far. Also people could download threads from other users thus being able to participate and subscribe to them. Unfortunately this all would require some bandwidth so modem users would probably have to be left out.

Requirements:

-A Forum P2P program

-Reasonable internet connection

-Some harddisc space, say 150 mb for the logs and 350 for the threads, customizable perhaps? I assume the admins would better guess the hypothetical sizes of these files...

- Built in instant messaging?

What do you think?

- Paul Valery
Old October 21, 2003, 08:58   #94
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 16:53
That sounds like a good description of Freenet.
To put it bluntly, this solution would mean that the forums would be very slow. As the forums aren't static, each person would also need to have a copy of the database where all posts are stored and continuously synchronise with everyone else when each new post is made.

Nice idea, but unworkable.
Old October 21, 2003, 10:12   #95
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

, laurentius , what about the server and its software , ... there it seems are most of the problems for now , ....

one could buy a state of the art software and server , but the cost would be so high , it would not be justified , ....

but this actually lead to something else , a long time internet friend picked up some server not to long ago in Texas from a police department , the server was impounded and sold almost brandnew for a friction of its price , ....

have a nice day
Old October 21, 2003, 16:47   #96
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:53
Tassadar5000 started this thread?
Old October 21, 2003, 16:53   #97
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Is he your DL?
OR
Are you his DL?

- Paul Valery
Old October 21, 2003, 18:00   #98
MattH
King

Lau.: see Name Change Log.
Old October 21, 2003, 19:14   #99
laurentius
King

Holy Christ! I knew nothing about this. Thanks for the link Matt. Now I know what happened to dalgetti, moomintrooper, GianCarlo, Sagacious Dolphin, Cloud9 and Taz. Wow. So they didnt just go away.

- Paul Valery
Old October 21, 2003, 19:27   #100
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Old October 21, 2003, 19:35   #101
laurentius
King

I knew it. Nobody can just leave. Quit. Walk away. Get on with their life. Or start a life.

Why wasnt I informed

- Paul Valery
Old October 21, 2003, 20:35   #102
Skanky Burns

Thats what the "terms and conditions" link when you signed up referred to. Its covered in the fine print somewhere that you can never leave here.
Old October 21, 2003, 22:32   #103
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Its covered in the fine print somewhere that you can never leave here.
What do you mean leave here? Where would you go? The only other places that exist are the things of dreams, dear Skanky....

Right?
Old October 22, 2003, 00:40   #104
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by laurentius
I knew it. Nobody can just leave. Quit. Walk away. Get on with their life. Or start a life.

Why wasnt I informed
hi ,

go to the name change log , click above on " recieve updates on this thread " , this way you are know each time a user changes his name , ......

have a nice day
Old October 22, 2003, 03:21   #105
laurentius
King

Thats a great idea Panag! Thanks

Have a nice day

- Paul Valery
Old October 22, 2003, 04:03   #106
laurentius
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
That sounds like a good description of Freenet.
To put it bluntly, this solution would mean that the forums would be very slow. As the forums aren't static, each person would also need to have a copy of the database where all posts are stored and continuously synchronise with everyone else when each new post is made.

Nice idea, but unworkable.
Not necessarily. In my example the only ones storing the complete database would be the central/core ACS server in USA and possibly the mods or some freak who has subscribed to all the threads ever made. The only thing people would be swapping would be the new replies on the threads they have subscribed to.

Say ACS-server is offline and I want to reply to some thread I would have subscribed to. When I'd send my reply I'd basicly send a reply to all the people who have subscribed to that thread. The file sent would be tiny, little maybe just over 10 kb. I dont think it would make the forums too slow.

The only thing that would be constantly synchronised would be the logs of the threads one has subscribed to.
Also you would see a list of all the threads in the forums and would be able to select them if you wish and download the "core" of the thread and then it would start to be refreshed or sychronised in every 10 seconds for example. By sychronising I meant that it would only check if theres any new replies. There could be a limit in the amount of threads one could subscribe to. Just to keep the data flow reasonably low from each computer.

What is Freenet?

- Paul Valery
Old October 22, 2003, 04:12   #107
laurentius
King

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

, laurentius , what about the server and its software , ... there it seems are most of the problems for now , ....
The server is fine as it is I think, but the software would have to be somewhat modified. I keep getting the "Server is busy right now" message and I suppose it would help a little if we could share the servers work a little. I believe clusterize is the trendy word for this

- Paul Valery
Old October 22, 2003, 04:21   #108
Skanky Burns

http://freenet.sourceforge.net/
Old October 22, 2003, 04:32   #109
laurentius
King

Ok, Thanks for the link Skanky. Frankly, Freenet appeared to be only slightly similar to my proposal. I accept the fact that P2P-apolyton would not be as quick as it is now , but I believe the loading times, pings, lags etc would be within reasonable limits.

Have you tried Freenet Skanky? Why is it slow? Are the files big n chunky or what?

- Paul Valery
Old October 22, 2003, 04:34   #110
laurentius
King

I mean I dont mean to built internet within internet or anything here...just the forum

- Paul Valery
Old October 24, 2003, 05:24   #111
laurentius
King

And I really thought it was a nice and original idea...

- Paul Valery
Old October 27, 2003, 06:04   #112
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 14:53
I like your way of thinking
Old October 27, 2003, 07:13   #113
laurentius
King

Thanks

- Paul Valery
Old October 29, 2003, 12:39   #114
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

The server is fine as it is I think, but the software would have to be somewhat modified. I keep getting the "Server is busy right now" message and I suppose it would help a little if we could share the servers work a little. I believe clusterize is the trendy word for this
hi ,

would this be due to the software alone , or an other problem like a bottleneck with its net connection , ......

have a nice day
Old October 29, 2003, 18:34   #115
laurentius
King

I really dont know Panag. Maybe the admins could answer that? The idea is to ease the server from loading all the attached pictures etc that it has to do now everytime I push F5 it saves the bandwidth I reckon. Maybe critically.

have a nice day

- Paul Valery
Old October 29, 2003, 20:05   #116
Nubclear

Mods. Close this thread.
Old October 29, 2003, 20:13   #117
laurentius
King

Go away whacko troll

Why would you want this thread to be closed? We have an intresting discussion going on to improve ACS

- Paul Valery

Last edited by laurentius; October 30, 2003 at 03:39.
Old October 30, 2003, 08:43   #118
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
I really dont know Panag. Maybe the admins could answer that? The idea is to ease the server from loading all the attached pictures etc that it has to do now everytime I push F5 it saves the bandwidth I reckon. Maybe critically.

have a nice day

hi ,

well moving a lot of things to the archives seems to be a positive move , ......

as for the pics , , maybe a second server in europe or so , ...... that would easy up on loads of things , but can it be done , is it worth it , ....

have a nice day
Old November 4, 2003, 13:05   #119
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 01:53
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
I agree we should be able to make donations to 'Poly.
If it makes you feel better, you can make a donation to me..