Old July 18, 2003, 21:07   #1
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You think Iraq is bad? Look at Chechnya...
I have to admit that over the last month or so, I've dreaded listening to the news on the radio in the morning, because that's when they announce the deaths from Iraq. Sometimes it's no soldiers. Sometimes it's one soldier.

But it must really suck to live in Russia and hear about 8 troops getting killed on Thursday in Chechnya, a speck of a province...

http://www.iht.com/articles/103241.html

And then about several terrorist attacks outside of Chechnya every day...

http://www.canada.com/news/story.asp...A-2204CF161E2C

It's got to be demoralizing. Do the Russian defense forces not have as good of force protection methods as the American troops, or is it just that the Chechnyans are more skilled fighters than the current crop of dead enders in Iraq?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 18, 2003, 21:08   #2
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Do the Russian defense forces not have as good of force protection methods as the American troops
Yes.
Old July 18, 2003, 21:11   #3
DanS
Deity

Well, you would think they could do something about it, like improving their force protection. How is it worse, and how could they make it better?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old July 18, 2003, 21:13   #4
DanS
Deity

Also, does anybody have death totals since '94 and especially over the last year or two?
Old July 18, 2003, 22:09   #5
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:53
Ever since the collapse of the Soviet Union (and before, of course) the Soviet/Russian military has gone down the tubes. As has the rest of the country in terms of economic stability or prosperity.

Russia is handling this situation very badly.
Old July 18, 2003, 22:16   #6
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 02:53
Actually tass I must dispute that. Putin has set aside more money for the military budget after the economy has steadily grown in the past couple of years.... still the situation is very bad. Chechnya is Russia´s forgotten war, that peaceniks tend to ignore because it doesn´t suit their agenda.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 18, 2003, 22:18   #7
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Actually tass I must dispute that. Putin has set aside more money for the military budget after the economy has steadily grown in the past couple of years....
While that may be true, it's still not going to save the Russian military anytime soon

Russia needs to let this war go and focus on more internal interests.
Old July 18, 2003, 23:00   #8
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Ever since the collapse of the Soviet Union (and before, of course) the Soviet/Russian military has gone down the tubes. As has the rest of the country in terms of economic stability or prosperity.

Russia is handling this situation very badly.

Let's be honest, the High water mark for the Red Army was Berlin, '45.

They weren't doing to well in the late '70's and '80's in Afghanistan...while at the time the American Military was undergoing a paradigm shift. The American Military went away from "Numbers" and towards "technology and training, training, training, and did we mention training?"

Of course, the sudden increased in the training tempo scared the sh*t outta the Russians...which caused them to piss more money away...so on and so forth.
Old July 18, 2003, 23:04   #9
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Chechens are better organized and armed than the people we are currently fighting in Iraq to start with. And the Russians are using a mixe of troops, some profeesional, lots of them cosnrcipts and internal security forces as opposed to army forces.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 18, 2003, 23:06   #10
Giancarlo
King

Actually, almost all are conscripts from what I hear. Mostly drawn up from neighboring provinces next to Chechyna.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 18, 2003, 23:20   #11
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 00:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

While that may be true, it's still not going to save the Russian military anytime soon

To the Russians, Chechnya is an internal matter.

Waits for Serb to remind us how well the war is going
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old July 18, 2003, 23:22   #12
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Waits for Serb to remind us how well the war is going
He'll probably show up with a pravda links.. stand clear...
Old July 18, 2003, 23:40   #13
Lonestar
inmate
King

Yeah, seriously. The thread title might as well said "Serb! Git yer arse over here!"
Old July 19, 2003, 00:22   #14
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber

Not to all Russians.

Also, one must remember the morale of the Russian troops is low not because of defeats in Chenchya (that contributes, but...) because of how conscripts, etc are treated by more vetran troops. A lot of recruits are killed simply because theyre new, so demoralization starts at the beginning.
Old July 20, 2003, 02:46   #15
DanS
Deity

In the first war, I would have agreed with you. But giving up on the second war would send the wrong signal about the power of terrorist tactics.
Old July 20, 2003, 02:52   #16
KrazyHorse
Deity

Man, iot's all symptomatic of similar dynamic. Russia's got it worse because thaey use shitiiesr troopse and are engages in more blatantly imperialistic role, but it ends up the same for the US. Crappy war, crappy result.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 20, 2003, 02:59   #17
DanS
Deity

The similarities are fewer than the differences.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:02   #18
KrazyHorse
Deity

I donty' think so. But it's possible that that's symptomatic of my curent "state of mind and not reality, so I wont argute with you.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 20, 2003, 03:10   #19
DanS
Deity

"state of mind"?

Old July 20, 2003, 03:12   #20
KrazyHorse
Deity

18 and counting.

Wokring an rthe 19th, in other words. Don't want to alienate you. What arte you doing up at this time on a Staturday?
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 20, 2003, 03:15   #21
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS

In the first war, I would have agreed with you. But giving up on the second war would send the wrong signal about the power of terrorist tactics.
But if they don't give up, neither will Chechen rebels. And the violence will continue.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:17   #22
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 08:53
Actually, I was very surprised at the amount of casualties the americans are facing. it seems that they're getting you, al the time.

In chechniya, just like in afghanistan, the terrain is much harder than the one in Iraq. Iraq is much flatter, while chechniya is full of mountains and vallies, just like Afghanistan.

maybe you guys need to learn a lesson or two from the IDF.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:20   #23
KrazyHorse
Deity

iRAQQ IS ALL ABOUT URVBAN WARFARE. tHAT'S WHY it's crappy. Slower war, bu t can be maintaitned forever (countryside grueilla warfare is quicker, either way)...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 20, 2003, 03:22   #24
Az
Emperor

I thought that most of the coloumns were engaged outside the cities, actually.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:23   #25
KrazyHorse
Deity

Maybe. But I get the feeling that they're hisding inside cities. Attaqckes seem to hapent in suburbs (wsepcially Falujah and Baghdad)

I tghinh I mispselled Falujah.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 20, 2003, 03:29   #26
Az
Emperor

i think you mispelled "mispelled","think", "attacks", "especialially", "hiding", and a whole lot of other words, but I won't hold it against you.

They could be hiding inside cities, but there are opportunities to hide in the desert as well.

All in all, I was rather dissapointed with the US Army. They probably don't have enough troops to maintain order. How many troops remain there, could you remind me?
Old July 20, 2003, 03:31   #27
KrazyHorse
Deity

I thought they were at 1.5X10^5

Hlooe. Where thdid that come from? Two more Beecrs Iw il drink you now.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 20, 2003, 03:32   #28
Giancarlo
King

Azazel, he's drunk remember... He is actually quite coherent it is stunning...

Anyways, I am impressed by the US Army.. I think they have enough. And they are creating this Iraqi Militia force that will maintain order and remove pressure from the US military.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:41   #29
Az
Emperor

150K.. that's not too much.

Fez: US soldiers are getting killed there daily. They're there for how long, 3 months? and there is already talk of a moral drop? wow.
Old July 20, 2003, 03:43   #30
KrazyHorse
Deity

I5ts' easier to talk about morale drope when you;'re half a world a way.

Isarely put up with Lebanon for 15 years beacaues they wwere right next door. US wion;'t put up with Iraq for anywhere clsoe to as long.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'