Old July 19, 2003, 03:11   #1
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 02:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Iraqi Poll: What they think
http://www.washingtontimes.com/natio...0149-1765r.htm

Quote:
Americans have been polled plenty about the war in Iraq. Now, the first survey of Iraqis has emerged from Baghdad, revealing a population that is anxious and perplexed, but also sure that the war ultimately will improve their lives.
Pollsters commissioned by Britain's Spectator magazine and Channel 4 television network surveyed 798 Baghdad residents face to face July 8-10, their work sometimes interrupted by gunfire, explosions, sandstorms and gun-wielding assailants.
"The first systemic opinion poll of Iraq," the Spectator stated, "finds a population full of anxiety — but also convinced that war has made their future brighter."
The magazine said the pollsters were hard-pressed "to disengage from a stream of additional comments."
"Far from being nervous about being interviewed, they [Iraqis] wanted to say more and more. This place seemed ripe for some kind of democracy."
The hard-won results, released Thursday and titled "What Baghdad Really Thinks," found that 50 percent of the respondents called the U.S.-led war against Saddam Hussein "right"; 27 percent said it was "wrong"; 23 percent had no opinion.
Five percent of respondents wanted Saddam to return to power. Nine percent preferred life under Saddam's rule, while 29 percent "prefer Americans." Forty-seven percent had "no preference" and 15 percent did not answer.
Iraqis have mixed opinions about when they should regain full control of their country, the poll found.
Forty percent want control immediately, 11 percent within three months, 11 percent within six months and 11 percent within a year. Nearly 10 percent thought regaining control after more than one year was reasonable, and 7 percent thought "Iraqis should not be granted political power" at all. Ten percent had no opinion.
With reference to a style of government, 36 percent want a U.S.-style democracy, and 26 percent prefer Islamic rule "tempered with modern ideals of justice and punishment." Five percent want a presidential ruler, but "not Saddam." Six percent want religious leaders in charge, and 6 percent want a single-party state. The rest were not sure or declined to state their preference.
Thirteen percent want U.S. and British forces to leave Iraq "straightaway." A quarter want them there for a year; 20 percent thought they should leave in less than a year, and 31 percent hoped the troops would stay for "a few years."
A third said their lives were better after the war, while 43 percent said it would be better in a year, and 52 percent said it would be improved in five years.
Just over one quarter said they felt friendly towards U.S. and British forces; 50 percent said they felt neither friendly nor hostile toward the troops. Nine percent said they felt "very" hostile, and 9 percent were "fairly" hostile.
Life has gotten more threatening, the respondents said. Fifty-four percent said it was "much more" dangerous, 21 percent said "a little more," 14 percent said a "little" or "much" safer, and 10 percent said there was no change.
The Iraqis also theorized about American and British motivations for the war: 47 percent felt it was "to secure oil supplies," 41 percent said it was to help Israel, and 23 percent felt it was to liberate Iraq from dictatorship.
Seven percent said the war was fought "to protect Kuwait"; 6 percent thought the war was staged to find weapons of mass destruction, and 18 percent either did not know or would not answer.
Most of the Iraqis' personal travails stem from lack of services, the poll found. Eighty percent cited lack of power, 67 percent noted street violence, 49 percent spoke of lack of drinking water, 33 percent cited lack of medical care, 24 percent said there were food shortages, 21 percent talked of business closings and 17 percent noted school closings.
The poll, which was conducted by the firm YouGov, can be viewed at the Spectator Web site (www.spectator.co.uk).
Kick in the mouth for you anti-war folks.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 19, 2003, 03:18   #2
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 15:55
That's nice.

I usually remain cautious of polls like this, though. 2.6 million out of 5.2 million is 50%; similarly, 1 out of 2 is also 50%.
Old July 19, 2003, 03:19   #3
Giancarlo
King

Well 23% had no opinion.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 19, 2003, 03:26   #4
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 23:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Oh Fez.... No, I will no try to explain basics that have already failed with you....

As for the poll: Yeah! 36% want democracy..Now, if only that 64% that want somehting else stay away from the polls, we will be fine in the future!
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 19, 2003, 03:27   #5
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 15:55
I missed the part where it said how many people were interviewed. Oops.
Old July 19, 2003, 03:29   #6
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
Oh Fez.... No, I will no try to explain basics that have already failed with you....

As for the poll: Yeah! 36% want democracy..Now, if only that 64% that want somehting else stay away from the polls, we will be fine in the future!
Again a very large portion didn't answer and didn't have an opinion.

Alas, a buffoon like you fails to see the fact that they want a better life. And with Saddam that wouldn't happen.
Old July 19, 2003, 03:32   #7
GePap
Emperor

Hey Fez, since we are talking about what the Iraqi people think; to quote your quote:

Quote:
Just over one quarter said they felt friendly towards U.S. and British forces; 50 percent said they felt neither friendly nor hostile toward the troops. Nine percent said they felt "very" hostile, and 9 percent were "fairly" hostile.
Life has gotten more threatening, the respondents said. Fifty-four percent said it was "much more" dangerous, 21 percent said "a little more," 14 percent said a "little" or "much" safer, and 10 percent said there was no change.
The Iraqis also theorized about American and British motivations for the war: 47 percent felt it was "to secure oil supplies," 41 percent said it was to help Israel, and 23 percent felt it was to liberate Iraq from dictatorship.
Now why on earth were thse sections not bolded, I wonder?

Oh, and Fezzie pooh, get back to me on your "bafoon" allegation after you get some sort of education, NOT before, OK?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 19, 2003, 03:38   #8
Giancarlo
King

They are just as significant. But I think the Iraqi people feel they are better off without Saddam overall... but as the bafoon you are.. you continue to deny this.

You get some education, you Saddam loving freak.
Old July 19, 2003, 06:31   #9
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 06:55
Bit that interests me most (the sample is too small to be significant) is that most people interviewed had a lot to say about what they do and don't want.

After a long brutal suppression of public opinion, given the chance they do want to talk. They aren't happy now - and they weren't happy before.

Only way is up in that circumstance.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old July 19, 2003, 06:42   #10
reds4ever
Prince

They polled only 798 people? From only one area of the country?

Anyhow, from those figures it sounds like most of the people didn't give a sh1t one way or the other! Hardly a resounding endorsement for a war that cost thousands of lives
Old July 19, 2003, 07:01   #11
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 07:55
Quote:
Originally posted by reds4ever
They polled only 798 people? From only one area of the country?
Yep, sounds not very representative to just poll less than thousands inhabitants of just one City within the country.

Especially the question about "Do you want an islamic or a secular State" might shift much more to "Islamic" if inhabitants of the cities in the south of the country (specially the smaller cities ) are also polled
Old July 19, 2003, 07:15   #12
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

There are a lot of methodological mistakes in that article, creating invalidity. You generalize Bagdadians to Iraqis. There's not mentioned how many people refused to take part to the poll before they got 798 respondents. Further:

Quote:
The hard-won results, released Thursday and titled "What Baghdad Really Thinks," found that 50 percent of the respondents called the U.S.-led war against Saddam Hussein "right"; 27 percent said it was "wrong"; 23 percent had no opinion.
That question is biased if they asked people "Was the U.S.-led war against Saddam Hussein right (or wrong, or do you have no opinion)?" Why? Because an argument in favour of the war is already used in the question, influencing the answer of the respondents. They shouldn't have mentioned the "against Saddam" part.

Quote:
With reference to a style of government, 36 percent want a U.S.-style democracy, and 26 percent prefer Islamic rule "tempered with modern ideals of justice and punishment." Five percent want a presidential ruler, but "not Saddam." Six percent want religious leaders in charge, and 6 percent want a single-party state. The rest were not sure or declined to state their preference.
Where's the "not-U.S.-style democracy" option to choose? Not enough answering possibilities.

I guess there are many more mistakes, but those were the ones I noticed immediately.
Old July 19, 2003, 07:35   #13
Sandman
King

Not to mention the fact that a 'U.S.-style democracy' is compatible with moderate Islamic rule.
Old July 19, 2003, 07:44   #14
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 00:55
It seems as if a sizeable minority want an Islamic state. Wonder if our notions of democracy will include their desires?
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old July 19, 2003, 07:55   #15
reds4ever
Prince

Would it be fair to assume that most of those who refused to answer (ie not in the 798 people) or said they had 'no opinion' were doing so based on the fact that the poll was concucted by 'westerners' and/or they didn't want to be seen as being against the status quo?
Old July 19, 2003, 08:00   #16
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

We should organize a poll to know that.
Old July 19, 2003, 18:38   #17
reds4ever
Prince

A quick bump for Fez?
Old July 19, 2003, 18:46   #18
Giancarlo
King

Look, I brought this poll for one reason. It was the first one conducted. Maybe the sampling was not large enough but hey it is the same size of ones done in the US.
Old July 19, 2003, 18:50   #19
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 21:55
I wonder if the pollsters in the US were armed with M4A1's?
Old July 19, 2003, 18:51   #20
Maniac

The size isn't really a problem. But the entire rest of the poll just screams "unreliable".
Old July 19, 2003, 19:04   #21
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 01:55
I'm pro-war, and I don't know if this is just a typo, but I found this interesting:

Quote:
A third said their lives were better after the war, while 43 percent said it would be better in a year, and 52 percent said it would be improved in five years.
33 + 43 + 52 = 128%

Old July 19, 2003, 19:07   #22
Giancarlo
King

Okay... then I guess the first poll wasn't great...

And that typo.. well maybe the washingtontimes made that typo...
Old July 19, 2003, 19:11   #23
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 05:55

Fezzie musters up a pro-war poll and celebrates as he claims victory over the anti-war crowd....When suddenly, the polls credibility disappears
Old July 19, 2003, 19:16   #24
Giancarlo
King

Zip it, assadar.

The poll is the first one, and is just a glimmer of the support the US has in Iraq itself, good solid support. Those attacking the US forces are a minority... a rather messed up group of diehard terrorists who speak for nobody but Saddam.
Old July 19, 2003, 19:38   #25
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 01:55
Fez, I'd say the poll is invalid simply because it cannot be collected in an objective way. In a country that is used to having a secret police, I'm sure many people still don't trust the authorities enough to say what they really believe, if it contradicts what the authorities want to hear.
Old July 19, 2003, 19:39   #26
Odin
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesApolyton UniversityRise of Nations MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

All I'm gonna say is f*ck the Islamist state suporters. At leat in Saddam's Iraq women wern't stoned to death if they were outside without a headscarf. an Islamic state would be worse than the Ba'athists when it comes to human rights, Fezzie. I would be worried that If Iraq becomes islamic the leaders would massacre the Sunni's and become a puppet of Iran. If the Shiites get an Islamic state the US will loose any credibility they had left with Sunni Muslims.

BTW: Al-Qaida is a SUNNI organization, that is why it is bad to tick off the Sunnis, we don't want Osama getting new recruits.

Fez, everything YOU say is illogical.

The attempt to produce Heaven on Earth often produces Hell. -Karl Popper
Old July 19, 2003, 19:50   #27
JCG
Prince

But of course, all this reasonable support may gradually evaporate if the US Army continues to harass innocent people in the middle of the night, to put it lightly (saw an interesting CBS report on the matter today...some sort of torture and largely unexplained arrests/ disappearances are already being discussed)....
Old July 19, 2003, 19:54   #28
Giancarlo
King

Hey Odin, screw off then.

I never said I was in support of an Islamic state. In fact that is totally unacceptable. They can have some religious courts, but not the ones like in Nigeria where somebody gets stoned to death for committing adultery.

Odin, you are foolish.
Old July 19, 2003, 19:55   #29
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by JCG
But of course, all this reasonable support may gradually evaporate if the US Army continues to harass innocent people in the middle of the night, to put it lightly (saw an interesting CBS report on the matter today...some sort of torture and largely unexplained arrests/ disappearances are already being discussed)....
I think those incidents are rare and sproadic.
Old July 19, 2003, 19:55   #30
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Some people better chill... or I see restrictions in their future...