Old July 19, 2003, 19:57   #31
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 02:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
And the notion that women were treated well under Saddam is a load of nonsense. Take a look at this...

http://www.state.gov/g/wi/rls/18877.htm

"Beheading. Under the pretext of fighting prostitution, units of "Fedayeen Saddam," the paramilitary organization led by Uday Hussein, Saddam's eldest son, have beheaded in public more than 200 women throughout the country, dumping their severed heads at their families' doorsteps. Many families have been required to display the victim's head on their outside fences for several days. These barbaric acts were carried out in the total absence of any proper judicial procedures and many of the victims were not engaged in prostitution, but were targeted for political reasons. For example, Najat Mohammad Haydar, an obstetrician in Baghdad, was beheaded after criticizing the corruption within health services. (Amnesty International Report, Iraq: Systematic Torture of Political Prisoners, August 2001; Iraqi Women's League in Damascus, Syria)

Rape. The Iraqi Government uses rape and sexual assault of women to achieve the following goals: to extract information and forced confessions from detained family members; to intimidate Iraqi oppositionists by sending videotapes showing the rape of female family members; and to blackmail Iraqi men into future cooperation with the regime. Some Iraqi authorities even carry personnel cards identifying their official "activity" as the "violation of women's honor." (U.S. Department of State, Country Reports on Human Rights Practices-2001, March 2002; Iraq Research and Documentation Project, Harvard University)

Torture. The Iraqi Government routinely tortures and kills female dissidents and the female relatives of Iraqi oppositionists and defectors. Victims include Safiyah Hassan, the mother of two Iraqi defectors, who was killed after publicly criticizing the Iraqi Government for killing her sons after their return to Iraq. Women in Saddam's jails are subjected to the following forms of torture: brutal beatings, systematic rape, electrical shocks, and branding. (U.S. Department of State, Country Reports on Human Rights Practices-2001, March 2002; U.S. Department of State, Iraq: A Population Silenced, December 2002)

Murder. In 1990, Saddam Hussein introduced Article 111 into the Iraqi Penal Code in a calculated effort to strengthen tribal support for his regime. This law exempts men who kill their female relatives in defense of their family's honor from prosecution and punishment. The UN Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women reported that more than 4,000 women have been victims of so-called "honor killings" since Article 111 went into effect. (UN Commission on Human Rights, Report of the Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women, January 2002)"

I win.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 19, 2003, 19:58   #32
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 01:55
Quote:
I win.
No, you don't. You have not supported the credibility of the poll AT ALL. Please shut up.
Old July 19, 2003, 20:00   #33
Giancarlo
King

More sources:

http://www.rcnetwork.net/Articles.php?cid=65&aid=621

"Amnesty International has documented the brutal executionsof Iraqi women accused of prostitution. For example, Najat Mohammad Haydar,an obstetrician in Baghdad, was beheaded in October 2000 after criticizingcorruption within local health services. According to another report,in October 2000 "a group of men led by Saddam Hussein’s son Uday, beheadedwith knives 50 young women in Baghdad. The heads of these women were hungon the doors of their houses for a few days."

http://usinfo.state.gov/regional/nea.../1009irwom.htm

"Safia Al Souhail, the advocacy director for the Middle East and Islamic world at the International Alliance for Justice, said, "We, the women of Iraq, for the last three decades have suffered under an extraordinarily brutal regime, everybody in this panel has lost loved ones in various wars launched by Saddam…in the most aggressive and inhuman ways possible."

Al Souhail said Saddam's operatives in Beirut assassinated her father, Sheik Taleb Al Souhail, chief of the Bani Tamim tribe in Iraq, in 1994.

"We are here because of our common wounds and common aspirations, which is to see our country free from the repression of Saddam Hussein and his regime. Iraq under Saddam's regime has become a land of hopelessness, sadness, and fear. A country where people are ethnically cleansed ... rape is systematic . . . congenital malformation, birth defects, infertility, cancer and various disorders are the results of Saddam's gassing of his own people ... the killing and torturing of husbands in front of their wives and children occurs ... Iraq under Saddam has become a hell and a museum of crimes," Al Souhail said."

I love clobbering people with facts...
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 19, 2003, 20:00   #34
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 00:55
HEY!
What part of my post did you NOT understand.
Old July 19, 2003, 20:01   #35
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Quote:
I win.
No, you don't. You have not supported the credibility of the poll AT ALL. Please shut up.
I was questioned about womens rights.

This is my thread so don't tell me to shut up. And Ming gave us a warning. I think you should take heed on it and start showing a little respect to others.

I have supported to credibility all I could.
Old July 19, 2003, 20:02   #36
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
My point exactly.
Old July 19, 2003, 20:04   #37
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Quote:
My point exactly.
Then I did my job. Don't tell me to shut up.. that isn't nice.

I then was questioned about women rights under Hussein. I quickly disproved the claims made.
Old July 19, 2003, 20:05   #38
Kuciwalker
Deity

You didn't get it... my point was that, despite supporting the poll's credibility as best you could, you hadn't succeeded. Therefore it was quite literally incredible
Old July 19, 2003, 20:23   #39
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:55
I see an Iraq thread is still a guarantee for heavy debates.
Old July 19, 2003, 20:38   #40
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
You didn't get it... my point was that, despite supporting the poll's credibility as best you could, you hadn't succeeded. Therefore it was quite literally incredible
That is your opinion. You have no right to tell me whether I succeeded or not. That is not up to you to determine.

The poll I think has some credibility on it.
Old July 19, 2003, 21:13   #41
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 21:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wow! Iraqis think life is better than it was under Saddam. No ****! I could have told them that before they did the poll and saved them the time. It doesn't mean that Iraqis approve of the governance of the US. I see they didn't even ask that question.
Old July 19, 2003, 21:19   #42
Giancarlo
King

Well... we will see what happens...