Old July 23, 2003, 18:05   #31
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 02:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I came with in an inch of going to UCSD but I decided on UCSB instead. I grew up in San Diego so I knew I'd have ended up living with my parents if I'd have gone to UCSD. Besides one look at Santa Barbara and all the girls on the beach and I knew which school was for me.

UCSD is a good school with a nice campus but it's not very diverse and everyone commutes so there isn't the sense of community there is in other UC schools. Still, it's near the beach and La Jolla is nice.
UCSB is good for physics.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 23, 2003, 18:07   #32
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

Why are you thankful for that? Is there is something wrong with being gay?
A bite!!!!!
Old July 23, 2003, 18:09   #33
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 22:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
nope. you arnt in the CCAA. Who said it was shitty?
Old July 23, 2003, 18:10   #34
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 03:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
nope. you arnt in the CCAA. Who said it was shitty?
Nevermind.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:10   #35
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 06:10
Northridge is a good school...

UCSD is good for biology, especially marine biology.

UCSB is good for engineering, and is one of the only UC with geology as a major.

Most state schools are good, and like the UCs have a specialty, not sure what Northridge's is.

I went to UCD... that's why I am famillar with the Sac are Oerdin, spent 7 years in that area.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:11   #36
Giancarlo
King

Well I going to Northridge for its extensive political science department. That is why.

Edit: Typos.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:11   #37
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 23:10
California has two public university systems. California State University system is meant for the top 50% of the student body and is legaly required to be affordable for most students in the state. That means $3k-$4k per year last I checked (that was a good 5 years ago though). The University of California system is for the top 10% of the student body and is designed as primarially a research University system and costs considerably more then the CSU system.

Both are good schools though the UCs tend to be better funded because they get research grants and the best teachers & researchers tend to be found in the UC system since they'll get the money to pay for their research so they can make a name for themselves.

Below the UC & CSU is the public Junior College system which is open to anyone who wishes to further their education. Classes are dirt cheap (around $11 per unit) and student aid is available. Most JCs have classes orientated to students who plan to transfer to 4 year schools or to people who want trade certifications (IT, car mechanics, policemen, welders, and the like).
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:12   #38
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

**** off!!! The University of Toronto beats all your asses. We've got Zylka!!!
Old July 23, 2003, 18:13   #39
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

I'm thankful for magnetic glasses!
WooHoo!

Old July 23, 2003, 18:14   #40
Giancarlo
King

Canada....
Old July 23, 2003, 18:14   #41
red_jon
NationStates
King

Everyone here just wishes they were at uni in Wales.

Except Bods, Cockney and me, who actually are...
Old July 23, 2003, 18:16   #42
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
**** off!!! The University of Toronto beats all your asses. We've got Zylka!!!
Zylka aside the UC system has been widely accepted as the finest public university system in the world. We certainly get the most noble prizes and the most new research done.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:18   #43
Giancarlo
King

Quote:

Zylka aside the UC system has been widely accepted as the finest public university system in the world. We certainly get the most noble prizes and the most new research done.
To be blunt, why I am not going to the UC system is simple.. my parents have another person in university to support, my sister.

I am sure the UC system is very fine but I am not getting anything less valuable in the CSU system. I got into a discussion with MtG about this, but assured him the CSU school I am going to is just as good as any UC one.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:18   #44
Japher
Emperor

I am glad to be done with school... Though I wouldn't mind being in Wales...
Old July 23, 2003, 18:19   #45
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:

I know. They are well funded too. A friend of mine from NZ spent a term at Berkeley a few years back.

Anyway, anyone who is diabetic has the University of Toronto to thank for them still being alive. And we've had Northrop Frye, Marshall McLuhan, and that guy who won the Nobel Prize a few years back.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:21   #46
red_jon
NationStates
King

Baaaa.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:24   #47
Japher
Emperor

Fez, you are correct. CSU is just as good as the UC for the sake of learning, and undergrad degrees... I am debating going to UCSJ for my masters even, and their program looks ver intensive.

While UCs do get alot of research grants, CSUs get local funding from companies which can be very useful and can offer very challenging higher educational studies...

Like I said, with the CSU you need to be picky, dependent on what you want to study, this is true with the UCs too...

Note: Cal Poly SLO is in the CSU system it is highly regarded as a top tech school... CSUF has one of the best ag programs in the world.... CSUStanislas has one of the best baseball teams... CSUSD has a great football team... CSUSac has great engineering programs.... Ain't nothing wrong with the undergrad programs at the state level
Old July 23, 2003, 18:25   #48
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
UCSB is good for physics.
All of our phyical sciences programs are great. I actually learned freshmen physics from the fellow who got the noble prize a few years back. The fellow at UCSB who got the noble in chemistry was my substitute teacher for two weeks when the regular teacher got hit by a car.

I majored in Geology and several of our facalty were very well know in that field.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:27   #49
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 09:10
I'm thankful that:

I am healthy
I have good friends
I have good family
I had safe and stimulating childhood
I can eat everyday
I have a roof over my head
I have people to turn to if I can't eat or have a roof over my head
I've been able to do what ever I wanted
I have a place to study (VERY THANKFUL!!!!!)
I have a bright future ahead of me
I can do what ever I want, the sky is the limit
We are independent and prosperous country
... and that I have a massive beast
.. and that the US will accept my visa applications when I send them, hopefully
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:27   #50
KrazyHorse
Deity

I've never heard of any of these CSU schools.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 23, 2003, 18:27   #51
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
Fez, you are correct. CSU is just as good as the UC for the sake of learning, and undergrad degrees... I am debating going to UCSJ for my masters even, and their program looks ver intensive.

While UCs do get alot of research grants, CSUs get local funding from companies which can be very useful and can offer very challenging higher educational studies...

Like I said, with the CSU you need to be picky, dependent on what you want to study, this is true with the UCs too...

Note: Cal Poly SLO is in the CSU system it is highly regarded as a top tech school... CSUF has one of the best ag programs in the world.... CSUStanislas has one of the best baseball teams... CSUSD has a great football team... CSUSac has great engineering programs.... Ain't nothing wrong with the undergrad programs at the state level
Why I chose CSUN was because of its political science program mainly.

Thanks for the good post.. you been very helpful...
Old July 23, 2003, 18:28   #52
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
I am thankful I'm not gay.
ditto

- I'm thankful Settler II isn't down right now

- I'm thankful for all the liberals on the board, so that we don't degenerate into a bunch of pointlessness *looks around* wait a second
Old July 23, 2003, 18:29   #53
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
We are independent and prosperous country
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old July 23, 2003, 18:29   #54
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

Why I chose CSUN was because of its political science program mainly.
Jesus Christ! What do they teach there?

Seriously Fez, I advise you to shut up in tutorials, else you'll be laughed out of the place.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:30   #55
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
To be blunt, why I am not going to the UC system is simple.. my parents have another person in university to support, my sister.

I am sure the UC system is very fine but I am not getting anything less valuable in the CSU system. I got into a discussion with MtG about this, but assured him the CSU school I am going to is just as good as any UC one.
CSU is a good system and you will get a quality education there. The only real difference between the two is undergraduates get to do research (if they want) at UC and their professors will be more famous. Plus the UC campuses tend to be older with much more elaborate architecture. The quality of both is very good though.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:30   #56
Giancarlo
King

Quote:

Jesus Christ! What do they teach there?

Seriously Fez, I advise you to shut up in tutorials, else you'll be laughed out of the place.
As I said the political science departments is one of the largest in the state for CSU schools.

I have a right to voice my opinion... and it would be you the one being laughed out. You fool.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:33   #57
VJ
King

I am thankful for having a life, as the humankind knows it.
I am also thankful for the infinite thirst for the continual of this life, without which I would have nothing inside my mind, as I understand it.

Nothing else, really.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:34   #58
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

I have a right to voice my opinion... and it would be you the one being laughed out. You fool.

You've never been to a university have you?

There are plently of regular right wing people at them, who are considered reasonable; but your over the top fascism will be regarded as comical, even by them.

How do you think people will react to:

"you provide no arguments... you provide NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism... you criminal!"
Old July 23, 2003, 18:35   #59
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
I've never heard of any of these CSU schools.
The CSU schools are mostly for locals. The out of staters and international students mostly go to the UC schools since they have the big names.

Also there are several excellent private schools in the state like Stanford and USC but they cost so much that only the super rich can go to them. I'm a public university graduate and I'm proud to have gone to a public school.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:35   #60
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Actually I think I might apply for a postdoc at Fez' school. I don't want to miss this.