Old July 23, 2003, 17:31   #1
dman2430
Settler

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How do you cancel diplomatic agreements?
I'm playing a game with 16 civs & signed a Mutual Protection Pact with the Zulu to have one less enemy in the world for awhile. Now I don't want it anymore, how the heck do I cancel it, or any other agreement for that matter?

Thank in advance for your help,
Dylan
Old July 23, 2003, 17:42   #2
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Sometimes I have to try to renegotiate then cancel the renegotiation to end it.
Old July 23, 2003, 17:52   #3
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:10
Is this PtW?

If so, contact them and click on "active" which will show you how long you have left in the pact. If it has run out (no turns left next to it) then you can cancel it without penalty. You can always declare war on them as well.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:03   #4
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 08:10
Their relations with you will go down to normal levels when the pact is over though.
Old July 23, 2003, 18:19   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Yeah, that's a downside.
Old July 23, 2003, 22:43   #6
dman2430
Settler

It's regular Civ3 no expansion pack. So, uh, how do I cancel it/renegotiate it whatever? All this and he's just gonna be annoyed with me again anyway. Damn.
Old July 23, 2003, 22:47   #7
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Hmm, I think in regular civ3 you just have to wait out the 20 turns. And yes, he will go back to hating you.
Old July 23, 2003, 23:00   #8
dman2430
Settler

I have waited out the 20 turns, but he doesn't want to cancel it, I know it's still in effect because when I go to propose trades "mutual protection pact" is not an option.

Now that I've waited 20 turns, is there something I'm missing?
Old July 23, 2003, 23:23   #9
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Ok, I think if you click on clear trades? that might work. or click on the pact itself. Hmm. maybe someone with vanilla civ will come along.
Old July 23, 2003, 23:47   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:10
It has been awhile since i used the CivIII part, but I thought it worked the same way as PTW. You can select a leader and propose a trade. YOu can then see the NEW and the Active. Choose active and renegotiate it.
The change for PTW is that you can select the preference for renegotiate all trades after 20 turns.
Am I losing my mind again?
Old July 23, 2003, 23:57   #11
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I think you're right, vmxa. The other change is you can see what deals are active in the Foreign Advisor screen, rather than have to call up each leader to find out. In fact, I know you're right, because I remember having to call up each leader and click Active to find out what was up.
Old July 24, 2003, 18:41   #12
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 23:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
vmxa1 has the answer - I'll repeat it in ridiculous detail.

Go to the diplomacy screen with the Zulu -- where you can propose deals. At the bottom of the deal table there are two (sometimes 3) words / phrases - "New" and "Active;" when you've got a tentative proposal on the table, there also appears the phrase "Clear Table." To cancel an ongoing deal that has run past 20 turns, click on "Active." The trade table will show your active deals -- if the twenty turns haven't run, there will be a number (between 0 and 20) in parentheses near the deal which indicate the number of turns remaining on the deal. If the twenty turns have run, there will be no number in parentheses and you can cancel the deal -- do so by clicking on the deal in question (in your case, the MPP). The game will automaticaly jump back to the "New" deal proposal, and show the deal you just cancelled as a proposed deal. Either click "Clear Table" or click the specific deal to remove it. Then exit the negotiating table by clicking on "Never mind . . ." or the equivalent option.

In the screenshot below, I've highlighted the "Active" button with some red rectangles -- the number 6 in parentheses indicates that my deal, an alliance I paid for with Gems and some gpt, still has 6 turns to run.

Catt
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	weird gems bug 2 - active example.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	50340  
Old July 25, 2003, 08:11   #13
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 07:10
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
The change for PTW is that you can select the preference for renegotiate all trades after 20 turns.
Am I losing my mind again?
There is no change, at least between vanilla civ 1.29 and PTW. I do not have PTW yet and always select this renegotiate option.
Old July 25, 2003, 09:46   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

we really should have the option to close the embassy in peace time for good , .......

have a nice day
Old July 25, 2003, 12:48   #15
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:10
Nym, you are correct it was added in 1.29F.
Old July 25, 2003, 13:33   #16
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomwi
I think you're right, vmxa. The other change is you can see what deals are active in the Foreign Advisor screen, rather than have to call up each leader to find out. In fact, I know you're right, because I remember having to call up each leader and click Active to find out what was up.
Just to be clear. Sorry if this is repeating.

In PtW (I can no longer remember how Civ III Vanilla is laid out) inside the foreign advisor screen there are two other screens which show your relationship to the other heads of state. These can be reached through tabs on the right hand side of the screen. One screen is trade - which shows which countries you have potential, and active trades with. The other is the screen which shows what deals you have that are active.

Instead of having to open up the negotiation screen (the screen illustrated by Catt above) you may click on the foreign leaders image, and the active deals appear in a status box on the right hand side. This allows you to quickly check all of your deals without the monotony of going in and out of the negotiation screen with every leader.

If you have sixteen turns left on a peace you sued for, for example, it will give you a number of turns left on the treaty (16) once those turns are up, the words "peace treaty" will appear but no parenthetical number will appear beside it.

-edited for clarity

Last edited by TheArsenal; July 25, 2003 at 13:38.
Old July 25, 2003, 15:22   #17
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 22:10
Send an ICBM to the Capital city
Old July 25, 2003, 15:39   #18
dman2430
Settler

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old July 25, 2003, 15:42   #19
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky
Send an ICBM to the Capital city
That should get the message thru loud and clear!
Old July 25, 2003, 16:07   #20
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by TheArsenal
In PtW (I can no longer remember how Civ III Vanilla is laid out) inside the foreign advisor screen there are two other screens which show your relationship to the other heads of state. These can be reached through tabs on the right hand side of the screen. One screen is trade - which shows which countries you have potential, and active trades with. The other is the screen which shows what deals you have that are active.

Instead of having to open up the negotiation screen (the screen illustrated by Catt above) you may click on the foreign leaders image, and the active deals appear in a status box on the right hand side. This allows you to quickly check all of your deals without the monotony of going in and out of the negotiation screen with every leader.
These two screens (treaties and trades) already exist in vanilla Civ III 1.29, but the possibility to click on the foreign leaders images to show active trades does not.
Old July 25, 2003, 18:52   #21
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

we really should have the option to close the embassy in peace time for good , .......

have a nice day
Why would you want to close an embassy in peace time?
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old July 26, 2003, 03:35   #22
Nym
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003

Why would you want to close an embassy in peace time?
May be to protest, but I do not think it would be useful.
Old July 26, 2003, 11:17   #23
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

I agree Nym. I don't see a useful application for being able to close an embasy during peace time. panag, what were your thoughts on this?
Old July 26, 2003, 11:49   #24
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003
I agree Nym. I don't see a useful application for being able to close an embasy during peace time. panag, what were your thoughts on this?

hi ,

just browse the forums and you shall find plenty of reasons , ........

like one pays 100 bucks to open one one could pay 250 to close one , no more rop's , etc , ......

its an option that should be included , .....

have a nice day
Old July 26, 2003, 12:46   #25
PLATO
Emperor

Okay. So closing an embassy would e a way to legitamately end diplomatic agreements and trade arrangements before they would naturally expire. I can see this as a useful option. It would, of course, go hand in hand with a downgrade in relations. Not a bad idea!

Getting gold for closing your embassy seems a little out of line to me. I think that given the above benefits their should be a cost to close it. Of course, you should receive less maintenece costs as a benefit (Does an embassy have maintenece? If not it should!).
Old July 26, 2003, 12:49   #26
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Currently embassies have no upkeep cost, only the initial cost of opening one up.