Old July 23, 2003, 18:29   #1
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 02:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Question for the strat people
Does anybody know why sometimes when you connect your iron and are building warriors they switch to swords, and sometimes the que stays as warriors until that build is finished? I have noticed about a 50/50 chance in my games (when I am paying attention).

We are about to hit this in the C3DG and wish to do a bit of planning.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old July 23, 2003, 19:10   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I am not sure (which is mind-boggling to me), but I think it has to do with how many shields a given city has at the time of the research advance... less than say, a Warrior, and it stays on Warrior, whereas if on that turn you end will end with more than a Warrior, then it switches to the Warrior-upgrade unit.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old July 23, 2003, 20:29   #3
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Good question...looking forward to a definite answer.

Dominae
Old July 23, 2003, 21:29   #4
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
Good question...looking forward to a definite answer.

Dominae
As am I.

Quote:
I am not sure (which is mind-boggling to me), but I think it has to do with how many shields a given city has at the time of the research advance... less than say, a Warrior, and it stays on Warrior, whereas if on that turn you end will end with more than a Warrior, then it switches to the Warrior-upgrade unit.
That sounds good, and makes perfect sense. Hopefully someon can conferm/deny it.
Old July 23, 2003, 21:29   #5
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Interesting Theseus. I will have to do a mod and test that in the near future. Thanks. Any other ideas (or actual answers) are appreciated.

--Con
Old July 23, 2003, 21:32   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 00:10
Not sure, but I have noticed it too.
Old July 23, 2003, 21:38   #7
badams52
King

Local Time: 22:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just throwing a guess into the mix, maybe has to do with if the city is being manually managed or computer managed.

Where's a Firaxian when you need him.

Actually, I think they look at CFC more often than poly though.
Old July 23, 2003, 21:46   #8
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 01:10
Quote:
Originally posted by badams52
Just throwing a guess into the mix, maybe has to do with if the city is being manually managed or computer managed.

Where's a Firaxian when you need him.

Actually, I think they look at CFC more often than poly though.
Well, CFC isn't down for 6 hrs during business each day. I would like the answer to this question as well
Old July 23, 2003, 21:55   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Just a thought, but are all of those cities hooked up. IOW does the city that stays on warrior show Iron in the box?
Old July 23, 2003, 22:23   #10
Dominae
Emperor

As far as I can recall, within the same game I've never seen some of my connected cities switch over to Swordsmen while others stayed on Warrior. It's an all or nothing thing. This leads me to believe it could very well be an update bug (like when you, say, Gunpowder through the diplomacy screen but cannot trade your extra Saltpeters until you exit and initiate diplo again).

Dominae
Old July 23, 2003, 23:26   #11
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

vmxa just hit on my first thought. In my games, I've never noticed a city that was connected fail to switch to the upgraded build.

I'm almost sure Theseus' proposition isn't the case, as I want to say my cities that were set that turn to build unit A also switch to unit B immediately.

The more I think about it, Warriors disappear from the build list when you get the Iron hooked up. On the premise that this is the trigger for cities to switch (which is shaky due to cities completing unit production when a resource is disconnected), I would say that the cities that don't switch still have Warriors in the list, and therefore are most likely not hooked up to the Iron.
Old July 23, 2003, 23:31   #12
GodKing
Emperor

by 50/50 I meant to say the either the current builds in all cities switch, or none do. 50/50 was in the number of games, not the number of cities.

--Con
Old July 23, 2003, 23:54   #13
Solomwi
lifer
C3CDG Desolation RowPtWDG2 Monty PythonCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

GodKing, that somehow makes more sense and is more puzzling all at the same time.

I've never seen none switch (that I remember), and all I can think of is it may have something to do with the governor settings, though off-hand, I'm not sure what.
Old July 24, 2003, 00:34   #14
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

The city switches to the last buildable unit in the upgrade path only whenever you discover (or trade for) any new tech. If you simply connect a resource, the build remains the same until you get a new tech.
Old July 24, 2003, 00:52   #15
Dominae
Emperor

So even if you hook up Iron while you're building Warriors you'll still get to build them until you research or trade for any arbitrarty tech, say, The Republic? It seems to me like the game also checks for the upgrade path when a city completes a unit/improvement, too...

Dominae
Old July 24, 2003, 03:26   #16
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Sure, when the obsolete unit is completed, you have to choose a new build from the list of available units. That list does not include the obsolete unit from the moment you connect the resource.
Old July 24, 2003, 07:07   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 00:10
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Just a thought, but are all of those cities hooked up. IOW does the city that stays on warrior show Iron in the box?
I've had Iron in the resource box and still been unable to produce a Swordsman. Its like it lingers for a turn or so before it switches sometimes.