Old July 30, 2003, 09:40   #31
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Yeah, exploring the alien environment really became boring after a while. But with my standard stubborness, I finished the game. It was rather sad how differerent the final battle planned out compared to the cutscene afterwards. In the battle, I killed all aliens within two turns. I also destroyed all reinforcement orange squares before they could be used. To put it bluntly, the aliens had no chance. Yet, the cutscene saw some of my agents dying, and the rest barely making it out alive.

Bakalov: The patch was useless if you couldn't get it.
Old July 30, 2003, 13:05   #32
da_hal
Warlord

Local Time: 06:12
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Are you kidding? It was a blatant rip-off!
Bugs were not only present in overwhelming numbers, but they were hugely crippling to gameplay! The tech-tree couldn't have been made less realistic if they rolled dice to determine research order.
yep this is exactly why i decided not to get it...pretty much all the xcom fans hated the 2nd one. i didn't hear anything about the 3rd though, other than it takes place in a single city rather than a whole world now, which even then removes something special the original had.

i like my Antarctic labs, Greenwich base, and Eerie base.

"blatant rip-off?" hehe since when was a sequel _not_ a rip off?
Old July 30, 2003, 19:22   #33
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 07:12
Xcom 2 was basically Xcom 1 with more monsters, bigger maps and an underwater theme, but put together a bit sloppily so the patch was needed to sort out some screw ups. I enjoyed it precisely because I wanted to play Xcom 1 again, but with a different scenario. In that respect Xcom 2 didn't disappoint. These days we would expect that much from an expansion pack (probably with just as many bugs, too.)
Old July 30, 2003, 19:47   #34
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

XCom 2 didn't add anything original. It was basically a graphics mod. Rather than destroying ufo's over land, the ocean became the "land" and the land was now the no-go zone. Aliens from each could be readily compared on a 1 to 1 ratio. "Ok, these sectiods become aquanoids in XCom2"...

I must say that annoying bugs influenced my feelings towards the game, however.
Old July 31, 2003, 02:18   #35
da_hal
Warlord

hey lets get back to the topic!

how do you guys build up new recruits?

common sense says send them out with some of the vets to protect them, but usually the vets end up dead as the recruit keeps missing and something jumps you from behind.

edit: had to stop typing because my nephew wanted to use mame.

the best way, imho, to build them up was to send out 2 regulars and 6 recruits in your 2nd ship, and give them some cheap weps (i usually used laser rifles when i started using plasma on my good guys because they don't take many pts to use and are cheap to make.) fan out the recruits and if anybody scores a kill, get his butt back to the ship asap and hide there. if all 6 get slaughtered, it's not big deal.

have the 2 regulars finish the mission, and bring whatever surviving recruits back to the base for the instant 1-kill promotion. if your regulars get a promotion, i usually send them up to my "good" crew.

by the late game, i have 3 troop ships. one in the western hemisphere, one in the eastern hemisphere, and one somewhere else for training. all bases are stocked with 4+ soldiers and a bunch of laser rifles. everybody is regular or better, led by a sargent or better.

sometimes, i used one of these crews rather than grouping my best soldiers together because i felt these guys "worked well" together and by separating them, i hurt the chemistry of the team.

Last edited by da_hal; July 31, 2003 at 02:43.
Old July 31, 2003, 03:30   #36
bakalov
Prince

Local Time: 09:12
I have finished UFO on superhuman difficulty but I used lot of saving. I probably will have to try it without the saving. It should be quite more difficult I suppose ... Then I will have to use some similar tactics :-)
Old July 31, 2003, 03:59   #37
da_hal
Warlord

i restore often too because the wrong soldiers got killed...but i have done it a few times without because terror missions are too tedious to keep doing over and over again. once i finished with like only 1 officer or something.

the key, to me, is alien base missions. easy kills, lots of stuff, and no shadows. if you capture leaders/engineers or a plasma gun, you are pretty much set. sometimes i would just down all the ships in the ocean and just wait for bases to appear.
Old July 31, 2003, 04:35   #38
Skanky Burns

I normally did the save/reload dance. If anyone of my soldiers got killed, it was loading time. Otherwise, I would save, do my turn, save again and then let the enemy do their turn. Even back then though I didn't play too badly, and would rarely get soldiers killed. After the first few missions though it got easier, because all my soldiers were vets.
Old July 31, 2003, 04:53   #39
bakalov
Prince

I suppose that without saving and reloading it will be quite different game. Of course the save will not be absolutely forbidden but if it is restricted only on exit and you should load that game only once. Then you'll have to change your tactics a lot - you should find yourself using items like medikits and a lot of other stuff which you wold not use otherwise.

I had a friend of mine that told me he tried this. On superhuman difficulty on the first missions he only had the courage to leave the transport craft with two primed grenades in both hands :-)
Old July 31, 2003, 13:08   #40
da_hal
Warlord

heh i just make recruits or regulars be the fodder.

once i got used to the idea that in war, you have casualties, i made sure the "right" soldiers were the casulaties. I tended to name them after old high school bullies and such.
Old August 1, 2003, 03:44   #41
bakalov
Prince

There is another problem with the soldiers. There always was chance a good soldier to be weak mentally so he/she could easily be MC'ed. I usually drop the mentally weak soldiers too. The alliens seems to attack them with MC first ....
Old August 1, 2003, 05:13   #42
Skanky Burns

I always fired soldiers that got MC attacked. They were useless as end-game soldier material anyway, so off they went. I let them live until the end of the mission however.
Old August 1, 2003, 05:16   #43
Grumbold
Emperor

Yep anyone who got mind controlled was left back at camp. The infuriating thing was finding that 70% of your early picks were mental walkovers halfway through the game and needing to pick many more fights just to train up replacements. I forget which version made it possible to get the telepathy research earlier on (apocalypse?) but it did make life a little more bearable.
Old August 1, 2003, 05:48   #44
bakalov
Prince

On apocalypse you know your mental stats from the beginning, and the mind bender was available from the start. Though your soldiers needed some training first to start using it effectively. Anyway I think that the mind control had much lesser role in Apocalypse. I rarely met the mind controllers there and that was late in the game ... In UFO 1&2 you should be very careful with it, especially if playing with "no save/load".
Old August 1, 2003, 13:23   #45
da_hal
Warlord

iirc, mc was only a problem in certain types of missions, usually the most dangerous and very late in the game, maybe large/huge ships, bases, and terror missions. i usually sent MM's (mental midgets) on other types of missions.

there was a trick too, that if one of your guys got mind controlled, to keep them from being a danger to other people...i think it was keeping your gun unloaded or something. if they are mc'd, they won't load, pick up, or get the gun from the backpack.

also, towards the end, i would only have 1-2 soldiers using guns, the rest would have stun guns and stuff. makes capturing chryssalids really interesting.
Old August 1, 2003, 21:06   #46
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:12
Quote:
Originally posted by bakalov
The bug that i hated more in XCOM1 was that overflowing of the people's stats that was leaving them with almost no movement when they became too good.

I have never seen it happen.
Old August 1, 2003, 21:11   #47
Urban Ranger
Deity

IIRC, it seems there's a certain link between bravery and mental stats. That is, if bravery is high, it's more likely to have higher mental stats as well.
Old August 4, 2003, 06:45   #48
bakalov
Prince

I think bravery helps only for easier recovering from panic. IMO the best way to decide the mental stats of a soldier before the labs is to look how often the aliens try MC attacks on him. They always seem to attack the weakest crew members ...

to da_hal : if you play superhuman difficulty the MC appears pretty early and may be really annoying.
Old August 6, 2003, 07:50   #49
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

In Apocalypse you could use androids if you were scared of mind-control in a mission.
Old August 6, 2003, 10:50   #50
Skanky Burns

Or use XCom helmets (which prevented capture most of the time) or have your soldiers end their turn with something above their heads (a roof, doorway, etc) or have your soldiers lay down before the end of their turn. That last one is probably cheaty though.
Old August 7, 2003, 04:54   #51
bakalov
Prince

Hm, Skanky I think you are talking about the brainsuckers - but that was not the real mind control in Apocalypse, though it was the more dangerous form ....
The real mind control was made by the mycronoid aggregates (less) and some special kind of aliens which name I can't remember (more) - they were large - twice taller than humans - there were two types of big aliens, one of them was a combat type, and the second was MC type.
Old August 7, 2003, 06:47   #52
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
That last one is probably cheaty though.
Why doesn't that surprise me?
Old August 7, 2003, 20:23   #53
Skanky Burns

True, I was talking about the brainsuckers. But never fear, I have a solution for mind control too (making your soldiers completely safe from it). But its cheaty too. (DrSpike )

If you can aquire a mindshield, then your soldier's psi defence can be raised by 30 when wearing it. Due to a bug, leaving a mission while wearing the mindshield makes that defence gain permanent. Repeat a few times and you can get their defence level up to ~250.

Acquiring a mindshield is the difficult bit though.
Old August 7, 2003, 22:32   #54
Urban Ranger
Deity

The thing I don't like Apocalypse is they took an entire world and shrank it into a city. Blah.
Old August 8, 2003, 03:42   #55
bakalov
Prince

There are lots of starnge things you can do in apocalypse :-) for example I was hostile with the cult of sirius and they didn't want money from me because they were allies with the aliens. I managed to make them my allies though by razing one of the police stations - it seems that they hated the police more than me :-) The police forgot my evil deed for a reasonable sum. This way I became ally with everyone :-)
Old August 9, 2003, 01:11   #56
Urban Ranger
Deity

Screw that. The Cult of Sirus are a bunch of punks that you want to knock down whenever possible anyway. I used to raid them all the time in my games. Free training for my squaddies and loot to sell.
Old August 9, 2003, 02:48   #57
Skanky Burns

Income and experience, you can't beat that! Plus it was fun levelling their buildings from the inside, you could get their cash reserves to redicuously large negative values just by bringing some disruptors along, and shooting all walls and support beams.
Old August 9, 2003, 21:58   #58
Urban Ranger
Deity

Just make sure the building don't fall on your people
Old August 10, 2003, 01:21   #59
Skanky Burns

Or use shields.

Although you can usually destroy the building piecemeal, with your agents standing under a portion you are not yet collapsing to destroy a section next to them, and then moving to an already-collapsed area for destroying another area.
Old August 10, 2003, 18:20   #60
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Screw that. The Cult of Sirus are a bunch of punks that you want to knock down whenever possible anyway. I used to raid them all the time in my games. Free training for my squaddies and loot to sell.
Hehe, they masquerade their blatant alien sympathies as some dumbass cult and expect to get away with it...........target practice for sure.