Old July 25, 2003, 22:38   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 22:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What do you do with your palace?
I used to just select the coolest looking piece, so my palace had several pieces from every culture. They didn't look that bad, actually. Now, I decided to be boring and just make all the pieces from the culture of my civ. Sometimes I just cancel it and I make one big palace all it once. What do you do?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 25, 2003, 23:56   #2
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
mix and match or ignore it

Sell your photos
Old July 26, 2003, 00:31   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:18
Cancel it any time it pops up and wish I could turn it off completely.
Old July 26, 2003, 02:32   #4
Vince278
King

Local Time: 06:18
I pick one design and stay with it.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old July 26, 2003, 06:45   #5
Flight
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Cancel it any time it pops up and wish I could turn it off completely.
Old July 26, 2003, 11:19   #6
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Yeah, the Palace thing just seems to get in the way. If the expansion of your Palace would give you some cultural benefit then it would be tolerable. I just don't see the point otherwise.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old July 26, 2003, 12:12   #7
johncmcleod
Prince

Quote:
Yeah, the Palace thing just seems to get in the way. If the expansion of your Palace would give you some cultural benefit then it would be tolerable. I just don't see the point otherwise.
Oh come on, don't be a party pooper. Looking at one's palace shows the merits one has. It's great eye candy, too.

BTW why are the party hats on the smiley faces? Is it Apolyton's anniversary or something?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old July 26, 2003, 12:37   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:18
Yes, it's Apolyton's 5th Year Anniversary.
Old July 26, 2003, 12:40   #9
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod

Oh come on, don't be a party pooper. Looking at one's palace shows the merits one has. It's great eye candy, too.

BTW why are the party hats on the smiley faces? Is it Apolyton's anniversary or something?
Don't mean to be a party pooper! I do like looking at a growing Palace. It is just that it adds nothing to the game other than the eye candy. I would like to see it have a cultural effect or a diplomatic effect. If you are from an ancient age culture still palacing in a rock throne room, I think you should be intimidated in negotiations when you come to my mid-medevil palace!!
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old July 26, 2003, 12:42   #10
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

But I agree, something should be done with the Palace view - like having you gain culture points for the upgrades and having the option to have other players (especially in MP games) view your Palace (achievements).
Old July 26, 2003, 20:53   #11
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I cancel if I'm currently at war. There's no celebrating when citizens are losing their lives defending the kingdom!

When at peace, I will graciously allow my citizens to build out my palace -- as they see fit...

However, the UN is not allowed to look in there for WMD!!!!
Old July 26, 2003, 22:34   #12
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:18
hi ,

build it at the style the mood of the day is , .....

have a nice day
Old July 26, 2003, 22:59   #13
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

It would be nice if it did actually do something. Or maybe if you could get new mods for the palace (has anyone done that, if possible?) More culture after a couple of upgrades would be nifty.
Old July 26, 2003, 23:15   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
It would be nice if it did actually do something. Or maybe if you could get new mods for the palace (has anyone done that, if possible?) More culture after a couple of upgrades would be nifty.

hi ,

, bullet holes and parts that are destroyed would be nice when in war with an other civ , .....

have a nice day
Old July 26, 2003, 23:36   #15
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

, bullet holes and parts that are destroyed would be nice when in war with an other civ , .....

have a nice day
huh? you let civs get near your palace in the late game?
Old July 27, 2003, 17:37   #16
ISTANBUL
Settler

Currently it's annoying, popping up for nothing but to distract me during the game
If we could have some interior design of the palace instead of the outside-look of it and could have the diplomacy somehow in that room, if it's rich-n-well designed, the attitude of the communicating civ would be affected positively
and
the option to disable the pop-ups
Old July 28, 2003, 12:32   #17
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

I don't mind the palace popping up. Game bells and whistles are fine with me. Breaks things up a bit - and is another, even if not quantifiable, method of tracking abstract achievement. At first I took great care to build something interesting, but now I build whatever style the computer defaults to.
Old July 28, 2003, 16:36   #18
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Yep, it would be nice to have the Palace actually do something. More culture after several upgrades is an idea. Or, one that would people make pray for Palace upgrades: lower corruption! Or to increase happiness in the capitol; or to bring in some money in the treasury.
Whatever, just make it useful
--Woody Allen
Old July 28, 2003, 17:00   #19
Boracks
Warlord

Just to throw out an idea, different parts could have different effects. For example:

Left wing: improves social conditions (more content)
Right wing: improves production (percent discount)
Center: improves economy (percent improvement)
Grounds in front: improves science (science students get summer jobs as groundskeepers so they can afford more university).

These days, I just pick one theme and stick to it.
Old July 28, 2003, 17:47   #20
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 07:18
I agree it would be nice to see the Palace somehow tied to culture: as it grows so does its value.

I tend to go with whatever is the right design for the civ Im playing and usually dont build any of it as it pops up until late in the game and then it usually completes in one shot.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old July 29, 2003, 01:03   #21
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:18
hmmm... I actually have never mixed and matched.. I think I'm doing that next time!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old July 29, 2003, 08:30   #22
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:18
Just say No
Old July 29, 2003, 19:37   #23
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I like the idea of different things giving different benefits. A better connection with the game would be using resources to build expansions rather than just getting parts for free.
Old July 30, 2003, 02:12   #24
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Boracks

Just to throw out an idea, different parts could have different effects. For example:

Grounds in front: improves science (science students get summer jobs as groundskeepers so they can afford more university).

These days, I just pick one theme and stick to it.
Great idea.
Old July 31, 2003, 05:12   #25
Joe Average
Settler

If I am really bored, I will have each palace addition match the culture of the nation I have most recently conquered.

For example - If I start out European, but half of my newly expanding empire is now composed of Egyptian citizenry, my next palacial improvement will mirror the morphing cultural values of my people.

(Sometimes you have to manufacture your own fun.)

Old July 31, 2003, 06:46   #26
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Boracks

I like this idea...

Or just make it simple, by having all diplomacy be in front of the palace of the player you're talking to (This means, if I talk to player X, I see his palace, while if it's player X who comes to see me, I see my own palace in the background...

I would also like to be able to have several options when building the palace:

1) Just add something to the palace as usual
2) Upgrade a part of the palace

Every part of the palace exists in 4 "Ages" for each culture. By "Ages" I mean: If you build a part of the palace in Ancient age, that part would be done in "Ancient age" style, while if you build a part (or upgrade an already built part) in modern ages, you get a "Modern age" style for that part...

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say...