View Poll Results: Do you hate the type of people I described?
Yes 21 41.18%
No 10 19.61%
No-and I think you(Vesayen) is a moron 18 35.29%
I only eat bannanas!!!! 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 26, 2003, 18:43   #1
Vesayen
King

Local Time: 02:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I HATE vegitarians who are vegitarians because of the animals well being
I cannot STAND people who are vegitarians because of concerns over the animals well being........ now dont get me wrong-I am a BIG advocate of animals rights-but no, im not a vegitarian

If someone tells me they are a vegitarian, as a knee-jerk uncontrollable reaction I cooly say "Oh, healthier diet?" and judge them almost entirley on their response(till they proove otherwise).

Two responses:

1. "Yes, its a healthier diet"

2. "No, I cant stand to think of an animal suffering so I can eat!"

At the same time said person may be wearing levi's, gap or some other item made by slave labor, while stepping over a homeless person on the street........ Let's see you be concerned about human rights before your concerned about animal rights you ###. It DOSENT take much to NOT buy items made by slave/semi slave laborers....... I dont. If everyone some day does it, such companies will stop said practices(though that means the price of clothes will go up, though I can cope with that), and even if that never happens(it isnt likley it will)-you wont have the fact your benifiting from human suffering on your conscience.

Thoughts?
Old July 26, 2003, 18:44   #2
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 00:21
You are an ANGRY man!
Old July 26, 2003, 18:45   #3
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 06:21
Well it is better to start somewhere than not to start at all, and if thought of butchering and poor living conditions that farmed animals have helps them stop eat meat - why not?

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old July 26, 2003, 18:45   #4
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 08:21
I hate Cows.
Old July 26, 2003, 18:47   #5
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
Well it is better to start somewhere than not to start at all, and if thought of butchering and poor living conditions that farmed animals have helps them stop eat meat - why not?
It's VERY VERY easy to stop profiting from the human suffering of slave laborers...... stop buying the products! I'd argue its much easier to just buy a different pair of jeans, then to change your diet.......
Old July 26, 2003, 18:52   #6
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Yes... mostly because the people I've met who've actually said this (vegitarians because of the animal's wellbeing) were wearing something LEATHER at the time .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old July 26, 2003, 18:52   #7
Zulu Elephant
Prince

If I heard that some cow or pig was being forced to make Levis for a slaves wage Id be ****ed off!
Old July 26, 2003, 18:54   #8
Vesayen
King

I forgot to mention....... I have the utmost respect for those people who dont by things which are the product of human suffering AND vegitarians....... they are usually the stereotype "hippy"-but I personally like hippy's
Old July 26, 2003, 19:01   #9
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

I think people who are vegetarian for health reasons are idiots. The occasional hamburger isn't going to kill you. Even worse are "vegetarians" who eat chicken and fish... what are they, plants?!
Old July 26, 2003, 19:06   #10
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Yes... mostly because the people I've met who've actually said this (vegitarians because of the animal's wellbeing) were wearing something LEATHER at the time .
I actually knew a girl who defended this double-standard -- "wearing leather is a tribute to the cow." No joke. Presumably she'd have no problem with "it rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again..."
Old July 26, 2003, 19:09   #11
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
it rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again..."

All eyes in the library just turned to the quiet guy on the
computer in the corner cackling loudly!

I'm currently at a library....... my home connection will be down till tommorow......
Old July 26, 2003, 19:10   #12
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

If God hadn't meant for us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

Mmmm....raw cow...
Old July 26, 2003, 19:12   #13
Winston
Emperor

LOL @ loinveggie.
Old July 26, 2003, 19:17   #14
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:21
Would you eat a chimp?

Thanks for the new sig material SS.
Old July 26, 2003, 19:22   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

First of all, there is a difference between wanting to treat animals humanely and not wanting to ever kill anything, at all. ever.

But as to the original post. What's wrong with being more concerened about animals then humans? Humans can all go to hell as far as I'm concerened. I mean, we say that we are the only species capable of truly understanding and effecting our world, yet virtually all of our problems are self-inflicted. Says alot about humanity if you ask me.

Anyways, how do you know what is and what isn't made by slave-labour and sweat-shops? I do make an effort to boycott everything that I disagree with (and that includes alot of human related things, even if I do hate you all) but I admittedly know nothing about that... and I don't think many people do. Certainly not as many as who know about the issues of modern farming.

Do It Ourselves
Old July 26, 2003, 19:24   #16
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

The only defence for wearing leather I've heard is that it's a by-product of the slaughter process, and it'd just go to waste otherwise.

It's always known as a load of bullhockey, whatever that is.

Last edited by Gibsie; July 26, 2003 at 19:50.
Old July 26, 2003, 19:28   #17
Vesayen
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
First of all, there is a difference between wanting to treat animals humanely and not wanting to ever kill anything, at all. ever.

But as to the original post. What's wrong with being more concerened about animals then humans? Humans can all go to hell as far as I'm concerened. I mean, we say that we are the only species capable of truly understanding and effecting our world, yet virtually all of our problems are self-inflicted. Says alot about humanity if you ask me.

Anyways, how do you know what is and what isn't made by slave-labour and sweat-shops? I do make an effort to boycott everything that I disagree with (and that includes alot of human related things, even if I do hate you all) but I admittedly know nothing about that... and I don't think many people do. Certainly not as many as who know about the issues of modern farming.
Any clothes made in Asia is a good guide to start......
Old July 26, 2003, 19:33   #18
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

My defense for wearing leather is that it's the only sort of durable all-weather boot you can get without going into synthetic materials. Plus, I really wasn't that fussy about it when I bought them... and, infact, didn't even think that they might be made of leather.

Do It Ourselves
Old July 26, 2003, 19:34   #19
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think it is kind of cool. Kind of soulful.
Old July 26, 2003, 19:37   #20
st_swithin
CTP1/2 GODDESS

Does anyone else want to smack the holy spit out of women who cry REALLY REALLY loudly over REALLY REALLY stupid sh1t?

The Chinese have a saying which, literally translated, has no meaning whatsoever in English. ('Cry again, laugh again, puppy takes a piss.)

The gist of it is that a woman who cries loudly will be laughing soon after a man comes and 'pays attention' to her. Or buys her something, same thing.

I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but I still want to kick holy heck out of loud sobby women who cry for every little, including missing a manicurist appointment or because their SO/bf looked at another girl/boy/animal/streetsign/billboard.

JUST SAY YES TO LOINCLOTHS! Then we won't HAVE to buy uncomfortable sweatshop manufactured clothing!
Old July 26, 2003, 19:41   #21
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:21
More power to you if you're a vegitarian. I respect the position if it's consistent. 'Course I'm far too addicted to the fruits of animal abuse (which really can be pretty damn bad) to be one.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old July 26, 2003, 19:45   #22
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Vesayen you might as well yell at everybody in the world... You're telling me you've never bought some nike shoes, or some reebok sweater hmmm?

Slave labour by the way is bad, but you don't have to exaggerate. In some areas the work these companies provide (for the wrong reasons of course) is the only means of earning money. If you would move out those factories the people would object to that as they would have nothing now to earn money with. I know it's not fun if you're a child and you have to work in a factory or something all day, but it's better than nothing.

The idea is to gradually improve the situation there, rising the wages after a while etc, unfortunately that's something Nike and Reebok have to do, and they're not always inclined to do that!

About the Vegetarian aspect: I am a veggie because there is a general idea with modern western people that animals are just there to be slaughtered and eaten. That is just despicable in my eyes. You don't have to be a veggie in my eyes, but someone who needs his steak everyday is somebody I despise. First of all the condition in which the animals live and get transported has to be improved big time. Usually pigs for example are simply held in small cages where they can't turn around, so as they grow they will never learn how to stand/walk. This is quite painful you know. This is just one example. Nobody seems to care: if you would say to some of those carnivores to kill the animal, clean it and prepare it they would be too much of a coward for that. That's the attitude I hate.

Also that is life: animals get eatn by other animals. Problem with human dominance is that we are omni-present and we control everything. Nothing controls us, not even viruses or disease can keep us under control, we keep breeding and breeding till we've populated the whole goddamn world. The thing is there should be a well balanced ecology, that's why it is sometimes necessary to actually hunt certain species because they threaten an environment (for example the exotics, a problem we in Belgium have to face... exotic animals that are shipped here by boats etc that start dominate the region because they have no natural enemy), in that case we have to do something. It is more than just hating to see those animals suffer, sure it is an important aspect of it, but still, we should all think about it and stop seeing cows and others as beast bred for our hungry stomachs.

Again you don't have to be a veggie and never eat meat, I mean it's natural, humans eat meat after all, but simply, not the way it is now.

This doesn't mean I don't care for slavery or other things, but I think you are confusing things here, being a veggie hasn't got anything to do with ignoring poor people.
About the leather jacket things. Leather is a byproduct and yes it would as a matter of fact go to waste anyway. Nothing wrong with leather... You can make leather out of human skin as well, I have no problems with that, just like ppl can use my organs when I suddenly die in a car crash or something.. won't need my body anymore anyway.
Old July 26, 2003, 19:51   #23
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Slave labour is a different point. Even if you were to concede that you are supporting it in buying GAP etc clothing, that is not actually killing a living animal (however having GAP not employ them might, much as it may be immoral). Why should people not care about animal rights? Why should people not care about whether another living creature dies because of them? They're not forcing you to stop killing animals, why force them to eat them? I'm no vegetarian. I enjoy my meat, and I think it is natural, being that we are higher in the food chain. However I accept that some people have a problem with killing an animal to feed themselves, just like I have a problem with killing elephants for ivory, or tigers for their skins.

That you would judge people at all because of what they eat is incredibly prejudiced, like judging someone on their religion. Why should we care about human rights over animal rights? Why can't we care about both too? If someone doesn't shop at GAP, but is a vegetarian, is that alright by you then?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old July 26, 2003, 19:54   #24
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: I HATE vegitarians who are vegitarians because of the animals well being
Quote:
Originally posted by Vesayen
At the same time said person may be wearing levi's, gap or some other item made by slave labor, while stepping over a homeless person on the street........
They may be, they may not be...who are you to judge every one of them?

I've met moral vegetarians (vegans, usually) who were pretty consistent in their beliefs and desires to make sure animals don't suffer because of them.

I don't share their moral concerns (being vegetarian for health reasons), but I don't think they're all instantly hypocrites, either.
Old July 26, 2003, 20:11   #25
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

eh, we're all hypocrites in one way or the other. Yeah, I'm a vegitarian mainly for ethical and political reasons, but still I still eat dairy and have the odd leather item, ect... It's better then doing nothing, though. And being all-out vegan is one of my life goals. I've been vegetarian for only a year now, give it time...

But vegetarians are so easy to blame, since they aren't the norm. What about the hypocracy of meat eaters? There is little that pisses me off more then someone who'll sit down infront of the TV chomping away at a steak and, when a nature documentary comes on showing a lion tearing apart an antilope, will promptly say "ew, that's disgusting. Change the channel, I'm trying to eat here."

EDIT: And you're not a vegetarian, Boris. You still eat fish. There is a word for that diet, but it escapes me.

Do It Ourselves

Last edited by General Ludd; July 26, 2003 at 20:24.
Old July 26, 2003, 20:21   #26
OneFootInTheGrave
King

What is the point - I eat meat, |I wear leather, I kill cows and chicken I am a murderer of animals,people are just evolved animals .. oh yes...I will kill people... oh yes... I will ... aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.... where is that bomb - will I be a hypocrit as I kill animals and really people are just animals of my own species

else...

well you have to start somewhere, and if it gets trough your thick scull and preconceptions that society gave you, that it would be better not to eat meat as it causes unneccessary suffering, maybe some time in 10 years you will stop wearing leather for the same reason as well, maybe not... but still choosing not to eat meat is a good thing for many reasons, so you might just as well keep it up if your awareness about the suffering of animals in this case helps you stop the habit.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old July 26, 2003, 20:23   #27
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
The only defence for wearing leather I've heard is that it's a by-product of the slaughter process, and it'd just go to waste otherwise.
Yeah, and I eat the meat or else the animal would go to waste just hanging out in the fields otherwise .

It's a BS reason, no doubt.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old July 26, 2003, 20:46   #28
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 00:21
Hmmm... Porkchops, ham, bacon...

They all must come from a wonderfull, magical animal.

I don't like hyprocrites. Must vegans I have met are evry consistent with thier beliefs,b ut you always get the ones who seem to do it just to fit their fashion sense. Those are the annoying ones.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old July 26, 2003, 20:48   #29
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Well even if reason is wrong the deed is good, but how long will it last that's anyones guess...

Old July 26, 2003, 21:13   #30
Imran Siddiqui
staff

That assumes that the deed is good .