Old July 26, 2003, 22:43   #1
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 02:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Column #221; By DanQ
The two-hundred-and-twenty-first edition of "The Column" is now online. Written by DanQ, it is entitled `Alive at Five: 1,826 Days and Counting...`. Apolyton's social, technical and financial health is discussed along with the traditional number crunching excercise. It is also posted as apart of the "5 Years" special site feature.

Comments on this piece are welcome in this thread and/or via email in communicating directly to the author.

-------------
Dan; Apolyton CS

Last edited by DanQ; July 27, 2003 at 00:28.
Old July 26, 2003, 22:54   #2
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:22
hi ,

who-aah

thanks Dan

good story also :supercool: > smilie has yet to be invented

have a nice day
Old July 26, 2003, 23:13   #3
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 00:22
Quote:
Good golly, Miss Molly.
dork

Quote:
I can assure you that through advertising and affiliation revenues, the operating expenses for Apolyton are more than being covered at this point on an ongoing basis.
I fart in the naysayers general direction

Quote:
A subscription service of a different sort has been discussed in the past and may indeed come to fruition sometime in the next twelve months, or not. We are not ready to state either way at this point.
Earlier in the article you say you aren't, now you say you don't know? Are you that indesicive? Say it ain't so, Dan! Keep Apolyton free...it's not like you need the money or anything, if the rest of the article can be taken to be 100% true as well. (That '99% uptime' comment is a bit dubious )

Quote:
we're not going anywhere. Keep On Civin'!
Old July 27, 2003, 00:27   #4
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 18:22
Dan: As hard as it is to put a site like Apolyton in a nutshell for 12 months, you've done pretty bloody well
Old July 27, 2003, 06:17   #5
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 07:22
Nice column Dan.
Old July 27, 2003, 06:20   #6
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell

Earlier in the article you say you aren't, now you say you don't know? Are you that indesicive? Say it ain't so, Dan! Keep Apolyton free...it's not like you need the money or anything, if the rest of the article can be taken to be 100% true as well
It's quite clear what was said, and there was no contradiction.

Quote:
Originally posted in Dan's column

While not fan sites necessarily, other websites -- in the gaming industry and otherwise -- have begun and/or continue, as the case may be, to charge their visitor base for partial or in some cases full access to their content. This is even where the basis of the site is non-for-profit. On behalf of the Apolyton administration, we are reaffirming our commitment that we will not follow this example. We need not to and, more importantly, we choose not to. A subscription service of a different sort has been discussed in the past and may indeed come to fruition sometime in the next twelve months, or not. We are not ready to state either way at this point. However, as previously stated this service would entitle subscribers to additional benefits that while convenient would not result in non-subscribers losing access to site content.
If things do change, access to content for non-subscribers is still guaranteed.
Old July 27, 2003, 07:22   #7
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell

Keep Apolyton free...it's not like you need the money or anything, if the rest of the article can be taken to be 100% true as well.
They do need the cash if they want to expand, which they quite clearly have to with all the downtime and slow page loading times.
Old July 27, 2003, 07:54   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:22
Quote:
but I am boasted by several positive points.
From the context, that word should probably be "boosted". Minor point though.

Quote:
In the browser wars, Internet Explorer soundly crushed the competition with an 86.1% penetration rate.
Just remember, Opera identifies itself as IE by default. My Opera browser is doing this as we speak.

Quote:
While not fan sites necessarily, other websites -- in the gaming industry and otherwise -- have begun and/or continue, as the case may be, to charge their visitor base for partial or in some cases full access to their content. This is even where the basis of the site is non-for-profit. On behalf of the Apolyton administration, we are reaffirming our commitment that we will not follow this example. We need not to and, more importantly, we choose not to. A subscription service of a different sort has been discussed in the past and may indeed come to fruition sometime in the next twelve months, or not.
, either way.

I am glad to hear that Apolyton is in the green financially though.
Old July 27, 2003, 11:06   #9
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 03:22
On the http://apolyton.net/misc/ the link to this thead is broken

"Comments on this piece are welcome in this forum thread = http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=#?"

Nice Column
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!
Old July 27, 2003, 12:00   #10
DanQ
lifer
C4WDG Team ApolytonApolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos113
On the http://apolyton.net/misc/ the link to this thead is broken

"Comments on this piece are welcome in this forum thread = http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=#?"
Opps -- appreciate the heads-up. I've corrected this.

---------
Dan; Apolyton CS

P.S. Thank you to everyone for the kind comments on the piece to date.
Old July 27, 2003, 12:20   #11
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Quote:
If things do change, access to content for non-subscribers is still guaranteed.
But what is content? Is it forums? Is it news and downloads? I'm sure Dan and Markos wouldn't be cruel enough to make the forums subscribe-content, considering a lot of the posters are broke college kids...well, the whole idea just seems icky. :vomit:

EDIT: Oh, and I think I might've forgotten to say it (maybe all the dancing in the first post did it), but a great column by a great guy.
Old July 27, 2003, 13:33   #12
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 06:22
good writing

---
Mr Mitchell- what he meant was that (at least I think) was that

subscribers
a: get a larger PM storage limit (they can store 300 while nonsubscribers can store 100)
b: They can upload more files (subscribers can load 10 MB, non can only load 1 MB)
c: They get 'glowing' usernames and/or perhaps custom titles (although c is sort of a guess, he did mention username things)

as far as I can tell-
1- avatars won't be subscription
2- flags won't be subscription

but that's just what I get from it.
--
Good article dan I really liked the statistics
Old July 27, 2003, 14:01   #13
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
good writing

---
Mr Mitchell- what he meant was that (at least I think) was that

subscribers
a: get a larger PM storage limit (they can store 300 while nonsubscribers can store 100)
b: They can upload more files (subscribers can load 10 MB, non can only load 1 MB)
c: They get 'glowing' usernames and/or perhaps custom titles (although c is sort of a guess, he did mention username things)

as far as I can tell-
1- avatars won't be subscription
2- flags won't be subscription

but that's just what I get from it.
--
Good article dan I really liked the statistics

hi ,

150 pm's is more then what one needs , .......

we dont need all that extra space , ....

have a nice day
Old July 27, 2003, 14:05   #14
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asuka
They do need the cash if they want to expand, which they quite clearly have to with all the downtime and slow page loading times.
Hmm. Dan's article stated that, financially, 'Poly was doing better now than it was a year ago, and that the net income, as it were, was being stashed away in a rainy day fund. Whether it's enough to fund an expansion is an open question, but the fact remains that 'Poly is apparently doing OK financially as a free site.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old July 27, 2003, 14:32   #15
mrmitchell
King

Quote:
PMs and Uploads are understandable. The whole idea still seems icky though. It's a bunch of unknowns and slippery slopes...however, I'm sure Dan and Markos will do the right thing.
Old July 27, 2003, 15:43   #16
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

150 pm's is more then what one needs , .......

we dont need all that extra space , ....

have a nice day
Very funny, panag...

Oh, wait, you mean per week?
Old July 27, 2003, 15:45   #17
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus

Very funny, panag...

Oh, wait, you mean per week?
hi ,

you can use the download button , .......

and when are you going to finish your interview with Solver , ......

have a nice day
Old July 27, 2003, 18:35   #18
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You forgot to discuss our branching thread plans.
Old July 27, 2003, 19:04   #19
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 09:22
Branching threads must die!

Great coloumn, Dan.

How about we allow larger avatars for a payment? it would allow us to see avatars, at all, if you know what I mean.
Old July 28, 2003, 01:23   #20
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 23:22
Don't let the nay sayers get you down Dan. Your writting style is A.O.K.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old July 28, 2003, 02:20   #21
mrmitchell
King

Quote:
Don't let the nay sayers get you down Dan. Your writting style is A.O.K.
I hadn't meant that. Dan's writing style is actually refreshing compared to a lot of posters here--for example, every one of five posts in the OT is a heroic epic on [insert mundane issue here] and one of every three posts is "OMGWTF OMG U SCUK". (Well, not every one in three. )
Old July 28, 2003, 03:18   #22
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 18:22
You put up the ration in the OTF
Old July 28, 2003, 05:00   #23
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:22
Very nice column Dan.
Old July 28, 2003, 21:26   #24
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:22
Dan, your writing is getting better, but don't let it up. It was awful to start with and needs to keep moving towards Strunk and Whiteness.

Last edited by TCO; July 28, 2003 at 21:51.
Old July 29, 2003, 03:37   #25
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel

Whether it's enough to fund an expansion is an open question, but the fact remains that 'Poly is apparently doing OK financially as a free site.
And no one seems to be interested why. Blindness. Well, now we have pop-up ads which we didn't have previously and there's a greater number of banner ads being displayed. So of course by cluttering the site with ads you can increase your ad revenues, but yet that doesn't mean they could afford something like a database or mirror server, which would anyway be good as ACS is not a speedy site to load as it is.

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel

How about we allow larger avatars for a payment? it would allow us to see avatars, at all, if you know what I mean.
I second that, brother.

And neither do I need extra PM space or more uploading space as I don't use those features. Things like no ads, custom titles, maybe a small badge (can be turned on and off) and a larger avatar would be nice.
Old July 29, 2003, 11:19   #26
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 22:22
great story dan.
Old July 29, 2003, 14:39   #27
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

large avatars suck. In fact, keep subscribers at 80*80, and make non-subscribers only 65*65
Old August 3, 2003, 11:08   #28
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

DanQ:
To give feedback about the subscription / donation idea, I would gladly pay a subscription or donate money to 'Poly once it is possible, but only if there is a reciever in the EU as well as in North America.
Indeed, the problem for us broke Europeans is that transactions to the US can have hefty costs (conversion costs, taxes etc.) while they are non existent while staying in the EU. These transaction costs have prevented me to donate to American sites I enjoyed, or to buy Apolyton ware (there is no way I buy the mug for 15€ and then pay 20-30€ extra in various costs).

If these subscriptions become real, would it be possible for Markos to use an account in Europe, as well as the expectable North American account ? Thanks
Old August 3, 2003, 12:13   #29
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 01:22
Quote:
I will take a moment here to note that the suggestion of implementing a donations system has been broached on several occasions in the past year and before. Undoubtedly the point will be raised again. As has been said in response to previous instances of the suggestion, and will be reiterated here, we are not comfortable with this premise and as such are not supportive of exploring this avenue at the time being.
Don't want free money? I'm confused. You need money for expansion, you want us to buy from partner companies, but we can't just send you a check? Why is this? This is truly a great site and will likely only get better. If those of us who enjoy its features want to help it get better then we can't do it with direct support, but must do it indirectly through partner companies?

This just doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe there is something I just don't get.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old August 4, 2003, 20:15   #30
DanQ
lifer
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO1003

Don't want free money? I'm confused. You need money for expansion, you want us to buy from partner companies, but we can't just send you a check? Why is this? This is truly a great site and will likely only get better. If those of us who enjoy its features want to help it get better then we can't do it with direct support, but must do it indirectly through partner companies?

This just doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe there is something I just don't get.
Fair comment.

It is our hope that if and when we are able to get an optional subscriptional service in place, which would provide non-content related perks for those who subscribe, that this will be more or less a direct way of supporting this site financially; there will, of course, be a nominal percentage charged by whatever outfit we select to handle such electronic payments. Given the direct perks that would be received by any subscriber, this would not be a donation but rather a payment for services rendered.

We are not a registered or a non-registered charity and, as such, do not feel comfortable involving ourselves in donation situations. Nonetheless, we are extremely appreciative of such expressions of financial support for this site such as yours.

-----------
Dan; Apolyton CS