Old July 27, 2003, 04:01   #1
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 03:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Asher, you have any information on G5?
I saw a commercial for this and Apple claims it is the "fastest personal computer in the world". As I know this is just part of its BS advertisement campaign I would like to see documentation comparing the G5 with comparable AMD/Intel machines.

Thanks.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:04   #2
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 00:23
This has been discussed and debunked before.

It's bullshit, although it certainly is fast.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:06   #3
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

if you're not careful it will BLOW YOU THROUGH YOUR WALLS :O maybe i'd get one if it came with a drywall repair kit
Old July 27, 2003, 04:07   #4
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
This has been discussed and debunked before.

It's bullshit, although it certainly is fast.
I know that.. I just want to see benchmarks and stuff comparing Intel with it... could you pull any up for me?
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:10   #5
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 01:23
AFAIK, most experts think it will be the fastest computer to be released for at least ten years.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:11   #6
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 06:23
its so fast that when u run it god will appear to u on the screen.

now thats fast.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:12   #7
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
AFAIK, most experts think it will be the fastest computer to be released for at least ten years.
Again more crap. It isn't the fastest out there.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:18   #8
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Apple based the claim on the SPEC CPU 2000 benchmark.

IBM and Apple have been heavily optimizing the GCC compiler for the G5 for a long time now.
Intel optimizes its own Intel compiler rather than GCC.

So Apple saw this, thought it'd make a brilliant marketing move -- we can compile both using the same compiler, because 99.9% of people won't know that GCC sucks for Pentium 4 code. But just to be safe, they disabled SSE2 (which is a huge performance booster, akin to the G5's AltiVec) because they claimed it reduced performance (bullshit).

Anyway:
Apple's performance claims:
2GHz G5: fp: 840, int: 800
3.06GHz Xeon:fp: 646, int: 836
3.0GHz P4: fp: 693, int: 889

But, unfortunately, when you don't cripple Intel's chips, it kinda spanks the G5. The following numbers are official and from SPEC.org, the official SPEC websites, and they've been checked for validity (note: Apple did not submit their scores).

3.06GHz Xeon: fp: 1173, int: 1242
3.0GHz P4: fp: 1229, int: 1151
3.2GHz P4: fp: 1267, int: 1205
Old July 27, 2003, 04:20   #9
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Please tell me this is a joke.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:21   #10
Giancarlo
King

Yeah I just found this site: http://www.aceshardware.com/read_news.jsp?id=75000384

"Perhaps the biggest threat to Apple's performance claims is not compilers, but time. The Power Mac G5s are scheduled to ship in August, but Intel has already introduced the 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 this week, while both Athlon 64 and Prescott are on the horizon. The true performance test will lie in a wide array of application-level benchmarks, affording some perspective to users for how well the applications they use will perform."

Monkspider, I think you should retract your statement.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:21   #11
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 02:23
Quote:
That's what I heard as well. The piece I saw said that the G5 is so powerful that it will easily be the fastest computer on the planet until quantum computers are perfected, which might be able to dethrone it.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:21   #12
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

All that power from both computers is nice, but is there any real reason to purchase either chip in the immidiate future? Sure, eventually itll become standard requirements to nearly every intesnse program, but....
Old July 27, 2003, 04:23   #13
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
That's what I heard as well. The piece I saw said that the G5 is so powerful that it will easily be the fastest computer on the planet until quantum computers are perfected, which might be able to dethrone it.
My link proves that is bullshit.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:24   #14
yavoon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
All that power from both computers is nice, but is there any real reason to purchase either chip in the immidiate future? Sure, eventually itll become standard requirements to nearly every intesnse program, but....
haha a cable modem is the most noticable feature for any normal computer user. the only reason to increase performance is eventually the programmers will make the word processor and operating system programs so bloated that they will drag down ur computer.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:24   #15
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

I think Drake was joking, Fez.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:24   #16
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

And yeah, Prescott/Pentium 5 is going to completely the G5.

And they'll be out around the same time.

God bless Apple...
Old July 27, 2003, 04:24   #17
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
I think Drake was joking, Fez.
I need a humor.. mine sucks...
Old July 27, 2003, 04:25   #18
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
You provide nothing!
Old July 27, 2003, 04:26   #19
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Quote:
You provide nothing!
Hey, hey,, I admitted my humor sucks... don't push your luck..
Old July 27, 2003, 04:27   #20
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Quote:
You provide nothing!
And yet you want to destroy Fezzies sense of humour...you criminal!
Old July 27, 2003, 04:29   #21
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

What sense of humor?

Anyways back to the topic, yeah the G5 is going to get its butt kicked when it comes out. I feel bad for the sorry bugger that falls for their highly deceptive advertisment campaign. Has the government open an investigation into that?
Old July 27, 2003, 04:29   #22
yavoon
Warlord

since this is degenerating I wna complain that my dad's office has to get new computers. even though they have absolutely no use for the added performance. but the mounting incompatability that bill keeps shoving on them gives them no choice.

I luv bill
Old July 27, 2003, 04:30   #23
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Old July 27, 2003, 04:30   #24
Drake Tungsten
Deity

The Other Side of the Story
Thanks for the link, Fezzie.

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/03/0...id=126&tid=181
Old July 27, 2003, 04:32   #25
Giancarlo
King

Re: The Other Side of the Story
Quote:
Thanks for the link, Fezzie.

http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/03/0...id=126&tid=181
Yeah the credible source to turn to... I am sure this man's assurances is gonna prevent the pitfall of the G5.. not.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:36   #26
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Why don't you think slashdot is a credible source?

For the record, I'm not endorsing the views presented in that article. I'm just trying to provide an alternative to the blustering pronouncements Asher flings at us all on a regular basis.
Old July 27, 2003, 04:46   #27
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Why don't you think slashdot is a credible source?

For the record, I'm not endorsing the views presented in that article. I'm just trying to provide an alternative to the blustering pronouncements Asher flings at us all on a regular basis.
I like Asher's blustering pronouncements.
Old July 27, 2003, 05:57   #28
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 07:23
In one year the G5 will be @ 3 ghz (atleast that is what Steve Jobs said), and remember that the fastest of the G5 powermacs uses dual G5s.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old July 27, 2003, 06:27   #29
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Hagbart
In one year the G5 will be @ 3 ghz (atleast that is what Steve Jobs said), and remember that the fastest of the G5 powermacs uses dual G5s.
But ask yourself this, where will Intel and AMD be at in one year? 5 or 6GHz or something..
Old July 27, 2003, 06:31   #30
Drake Tungsten
Deity

The biggest question about the G5 is how much its 64-bit architecture will speed up software designed to use it. These specs don't really take that into account and we won't really know until Panther comes out.