Old July 28, 2003, 17:46   #1
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 00:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Question about marketing a game idea
I came up with two excellent ideas for a board game. The ideas are pretty well thought through on paper. I have worked out the rules and such.

I am just curious. Hypothetically, if I wanted to market the ideas into board games, what would I have to do? I guess that I'd have to copyright the ideas, and then try to sale them to a company that makes board games. Am I close?
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old July 28, 2003, 17:48   #2
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 07:28
a) Write the best description you can.

b) Include pictures/design idea for the board and pieces.

c) Playtest with friends.

d) Rewrite the description and designs to account for the playtesting.

Once you've gone through the cycle a few times, and have a witnessed, dated description, you can think about approaching a company with the idea.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old July 28, 2003, 18:05   #3
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy
a) Write the best description you can.

b) Include pictures/design idea for the board and pieces.

c) Playtest with friends.

d) Rewrite the description and designs to account for the playtesting.

Once you've gone through the cycle a few times, and have a witnessed, dated description, you can think about approaching a company with the idea.
thanks.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
Old July 28, 2003, 18:27   #4
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 06:28
You can find a lot of examples of "design documents" on the web for just such a thing, diplomat...
Old July 28, 2003, 18:35   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 01:28
yes, have a working demo thats been through a ton of playtesting / balancing. good luck
Old July 28, 2003, 18:41   #6
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 08:28
I suppose the first step would be researching whether or not there will be (reasonable) demand for these games of yours.

You might think it's great and cool, but if no-one else does, then it's still going to flop.
Old July 28, 2003, 18:43   #7
Japher
Emperor

no game will flop if you just add a little sex appeal
Old July 28, 2003, 18:49   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 01:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
or make it a drinking game. ever play civ3 where every 5 turns, the lowest scoring person takes a shot?

fun fun fun!
Old July 28, 2003, 19:12   #9
Japher
Emperor

I play Civ 3 where every turn I have to chugg a beer. Never make it to far, so I try and start if far enough a long so that the turns are pretty long...
Old July 28, 2003, 22:28   #10
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zopperoni
I suppose the first step would be researching whether or not there will be (reasonable) demand for these games of yours.

You might think it's great and cool, but if no-one else does, then it's still going to flop.
I know. The problem with most board games is that they often require 5 or more people to play. Since it is not always easy to get that many people to sit down and play, many board games don't have a lot of demand.

That is why I plan to have a variation where only 1 or 2 people are needed. This will mean that people will be more likely to be able to play it. This should increase interest and demand.
Old July 28, 2003, 22:30   #11
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
I am not sure sex appeal would fit very well in the theme of the games.

Of course, I could maybe decorate the side of the board with pictures of girls in bikinis, that might work.
I could call it the "special college edition".
Old July 29, 2003, 05:02   #12
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:28
The appeal of board games lie with the social elements, that's why you see so many simple, beer and pretzel type games. Gorgnard (sp?) games aren't really very popular.
Old July 29, 2003, 10:39   #13
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Gorgnard (sp?) games aren't really very popular.
What do you mean by "gorgnard games"? Could you explain? Do you mean games that require a lot of serious thinking?
Old July 30, 2003, 04:51   #14
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 14:28
Games that only diehards play. Complex rules, high degree of realism (where appropiate) and lots of serious thinking.
Old July 30, 2003, 06:28   #15
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

like north & south, Colonist from Catan and Civilization Board game

my favorite 3 board games...
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old July 30, 2003, 06:43   #16
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 23:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What is more believable than a witness: write your rules down and, in a really well sealed envelope, mail them to yourself. Do not open them once you get them.
Old July 30, 2003, 06:46   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:28
Quote:
Originally posted by The diplomat
What do you mean by "gorgnard games"?
Games where between turns more resembles Mornington Cresent.
"Your attack on my left flank would have been really devastating. Had you supplied your troops with ammunition, of course. "
Old July 30, 2003, 07:46   #18
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 07:28
Quote:
The appeal of board games lie with the social elements, that's why you see so many simple, beer and pretzel type games. Gorgnard (sp?) games aren't really very popular.
I suggest Grognard. This name was given to the old soldiers of Napoleon Imperial Guard who were always grumbling (to grumble= grogner).
Old July 30, 2003, 10:13   #19
The diplomat
King

Quote:
Games that only diehards play. Complex rules, high degree of realism (where appropiate) and lots of serious thinking.
Well then I guess I am safe. Neither of my two board games would be like that all. There would some thinking, but mostly the fun kind. The rules would be very simple, and the focus would not be on super realism, but on fun. The games would be very appropriate from casual players.
Old August 2, 2003, 14:11   #20
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Local Time: 02:28
On a (somewhat related) topic: How do you go about getting developers interested in a video game? This has been a topic of discussion in some classes here that deal with video game theory.