Old July 30, 2003, 21:02   #1
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 00:40
Local Date: November 2, 2010
White Wolf-Time of Judgement-Thoughts?
Before I post my comments, I'm curious as to if anybody wants to post their thoughts on the ending of the World of Darkness line.

For those of you who aren't aware as to what is going on, check out White Wolf's homepage and then let me know.

...or am I the only heavy WW player around here?

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old July 31, 2003, 01:28   #2
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 14:40
I haven't had much of a chance to actually play in quite some time but I've still kept pace with where they've gone with it.
It is slightly disappointing that they're ending it but I did feel they'd begun to add a little too much "clutter" to the genre and I'm not quite sure exactly how much further they could've taken it.

The endtimes certainly does sound rather interesting though ...
Old July 31, 2003, 06:30   #3
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 07:40
Since I've never knowingly played an official Vampire or Werewolf module of any kind, just material sympathetic to the setting created by our White Wolf obsessed GM, it shouldn't make any difference to me.

Last edited by Grumbold; July 31, 2003 at 06:40.
Old July 31, 2003, 15:11   #4
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:40
I don't like it, myself. On one hand, I prefer serials to series, so from some perspective, it's good that this has an ending. On the other hand, I don't think White Wolf should be providing us with plot so much as a SETTING, where we can make our own plot. And yes, that setting should fluctuate realistically, but this seems a bit much! And why stop production? I like Hunter & Mage & Vampire, and hope that they continue into the future.

Sigh. I suppose a lot of this depends on what they "replace" it with. I like the idea of the World of Darkness at least- it makes setting creation a lot easier, because it's just our world, except darker & with supernatural critters running around. Introducing a big earth-shaking plot twist to move the WoD away from the real world... hmph.

At least they could keep in print "classic" WoD stuff, frozen before the Apocalypse or assuming it never happens.

Edit: Grumbold, what do you mean by "official?" The extremely loose nature of the campaign setting means that most of those extra setting books detailing cities & stuff are optional, you just use the real world + critters. I know most of my knowledge is straight from the core books.
Old August 1, 2003, 05:04   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 07:40
Well I can't see how they can bring the Apocalypse to its logical conclusion without actually telling you solid stuff about how it goes. If they release a sourcebook that says that by 2010 the Garou have been defeated and reduced to a few loners, you either pretend the book does not exist or have to steer your plotlines to agree with them. If the Apocalypse does not end with near-total defeat for one side then there's no reason to stop printing more books!

I've only ever read the player sourcebook for any of these games, so I don't know if any actual adventures have been released for them.
Old August 3, 2003, 15:54   #6
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowFire
I don't like it, myself. On one hand, I prefer serials to series, so from some perspective, it's good that this has an ending. On the other hand, I don't think White Wolf should be providing us with plot so much as a SETTING, where we can make our own plot. And yes, that setting should fluctuate realistically, but this seems a bit much! And why stop production? I like Hunter & Mage & Vampire, and hope that they continue into the future.
Amen to that! The Setting is what is important to stories and characters... they shouldn't be dictating Plot without going against their golden rule... and not reprinting books for this era of the WoD for a while certainly violates that rule.

Of course, I'm a Mage, Hunter, Demon fan, so of course I'm going to gripe... especially now that the "red star" can be seen in the real night sky, not the umbral one in game.

Quote:
Sigh. I suppose a lot of this depends on what they "replace" it with. I like the idea of the World of Darkness at least- it makes setting creation a lot easier, because it's just our world, except darker & with supernatural critters running around. Introducing a big earth-shaking plot twist to move the WoD away from the real world... hmph.
One of the reasons I love WoD as well and one of the reasons I'm not fond of what they're doing.

Quote:
At least they could keep in print "classic" WoD stuff, frozen before the Apocalypse or assuming it never happens.
Exactly! that way they can also make money off of the Convention books that they're now not going to come out with as well as all the other books that I haven't been able to buy yet...

Quote:
Edit: Grumbold, what do you mean by "official?" The extremely loose nature of the campaign setting means that most of those extra setting books detailing cities & stuff are optional, you just use the real world + critters. I know most of my knowledge is straight from the core books.
Yeah, I have yet to get one of those city books, though if I can before it goes off the shelves I get myself the Mage Las Vegas one. It is nice to see how WW would set up a city of supes
(Hunter term, sorry) so that you can follow that model if you want to for whatever city you base the troupe in.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 4, 2003, 04:36   #7
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 01:40
I am sad to see it go
I do think they should keep a stock of the old core books but I don't think it's going to happen. I think they are going to try to go with a completely different product line. Unfortunately....
Old August 6, 2003, 22:39   #8
FlameFlash
Emperor

/me nods.

That's what I think is unfortunate too. There are a lot of good books that they're even releasing soon that quite a few players won't have the money to get for some time yet.