Old July 31, 2003, 10:34   #1
0bsidi0n
Warlord

Local Time: 23:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My holy grail of modding...
I've looked for it everywhere and tried it everywhich way, but a buildable ocean bridge (see Confederation Bridge) seems impossible. I don't know if anyone cares, or if everyone has relegated it to the immodable, but I thought I'd share my latest attempt, and hopefully discussion and a subsequent solution will be discovered.

The closest I've gotten is this: I create an immobile deployable transport ship, very expensive, and create a 'bridge' of these units across a section of coast (I've decided that great expense and coast-only would be realistic requirements for these, as well as for the sake of game balance). Then, I allow workers to build railroads on coastal, walk the worker onto the "platform", and build said improvements.

The trouble is this: while units could certainly traverse a bridge of transports, they do not gain the movement bonus of the railroad. I cannot find any line or file that will allow this change, but I'm hoping someone else has stumbled across it.

I think this approach, should it ever come to fruition, is the most realistic. These bridges would be expensive, immobile, destroyable, defendable (by ships), and a feasible way to connect close landmasses. Sorry for the longwindedness, I just wanted to present all my research and findings; perhaps someone knows how to make this possible?
0bsidi0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2003, 14:18   #2
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 01:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Many things like this have been tried and AFAIK none of them really ever worked well. One of the main reasons is the AI wont use it.

Sell your photos
Sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2003, 07:29   #3
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 07:42
Re: My holy grail of modding...
Quote:
Originally posted by 0bsidi0n
The trouble is this: while units could certainly traverse a bridge of transports, they do not gain the movement bonus of the railroad. I cannot find any line or file that will allow this change, but I'm hoping someone else has stumbled across it.
It's due to the fact that the unit has to be loaded and unloaded on each move from ship to ship. This is almost certainly hardcoded to take up one movement point.
Old August 1, 2003, 16:34   #4
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 02:42
The Holy Grail of modding is EVENTS.
Old August 1, 2003, 16:41   #5
0bsidi0n
Warlord

Touché Immortal Wombat. I guess the dream really is dead. I agree events would be great for scenarios, but I like to play a fresh game every time, so unless you could create random events I wouldn't really care.
Old August 1, 2003, 16:51   #6
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 02:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

It's due to the fact that the unit has to be loaded and unloaded on each move from ship to ship. This is almost certainly hardcoded to take up one movement point.
Actually, I think it is possible to do it without using movement points. I forget how, but I remember we did it in the first civ3 demogame to reach Uber Isle.
Old August 1, 2003, 18:13   #7
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Actually, I think it is possible to do it without using movement points. I forget how, but I remember we did it in the first civ3 demogame to reach Uber Isle.
You're right... the maneuver was transferring the settler from the galley on our shore to the galley on Uber Isle's shore without risking the settler or the galley on the Uber side. The galleys met on a sea tile near the middle and the settler was activated, then loaded into the galley from the Uber side, which had movement left to take it back to the coast.

So a transport bridge is possible, but you need more ships than tiles that need to be crossed, and the number of ships limits how many can cross on a turn.
Old August 1, 2003, 18:37   #8
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
The Holy Grail of modding is EVENTS.
I would agree with this.

Has there been any word on whether or not the new "robust" conquests editor will have the ability for us to add events?

Sell your photos
Sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2003, 20:25   #9
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 07:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
You're right... the maneuver was transferring the settler from the galley on our shore to the galley on Uber Isle's shore without risking the settler or the galley on the Uber side. The galleys met on a sea tile near the middle and the settler was activated, then loaded into the galley from the Uber side, which had movement left to take it back to the coast.
Did it not take up a movement point for the settler?

Events? good luck (sig). All you need in theory is one random() function to be able to create any variety of random events.
Old August 1, 2003, 20:34   #10
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 08:42
That would be interesting IW. Fixed events are all nice, but random events are the real deal
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2003, 10:51   #11
0bsidi0n
Warlord

Kloreep/Skywalker,
Would either of you be able to point me to a resource, link, or anything else so I can get more info about this Uber Isle? I've never even heard of it before, but now I'm excited again that this just might work...
Old August 7, 2003, 13:41   #12
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

The galley thing is the old ship-chain maneuver.

Speaking of events, is there such an event that would teleport a unit from point A to B and vice versa? That could be used as a "bridge" of sorts.
:) Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote