Old August 1, 2003, 13:40   #1
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Local Time: 01:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Which Mod?
Ok, back from the dead. I used to be a regular here at Apolyton, but it's been a looonnngg time. Some of you may remember me (probably not!), but I do remember some of you. Anyway, a lot has happened. All of a sudden I hear something about the release of CtP2 source code and my ears perk up.

Well, in the meantime I decide to wander of here from the "other" Civ site and see what the latest, greatest mods are. Even a year and a half ago, some great things were happening.

So, here I am, taking a look at "Links to important mods . . ." and see 2 or 3 that look great. But, which one do I choose?

I'll tell you how I like my games, then maybe you could help me choose. I'm not a warmonger. If I can, I like to use diplomacy to cajole my "opponents" into partners. If I need to use the big stick, I will, but only if provoked. I HATE border violatons. This WILL provoke me if it starts getting excessive. I like a good challenge, but I don't like insane difficulty. I don't want to have to slap away all the AI opponents who are attacking to "provide the extra challenge CtP never had".

I, of course, currently have Civ3, but I am waiting for the expansion pack. In the meantime, I thought it would be a lot of fun to reload that old CtP game and slap one of these incredible mods onto it and give it another chance.

Thanks,

CK
Old August 1, 2003, 15:46   #2
tlatoani
Warlord

By what you say I think you would like GoodMod for SAP or MedMod. Cradle is very much a war game and CTC, while it's a little less war mongering, it's still a conquest game (but very fun).

Enjoy.
Old August 1, 2003, 16:57   #3
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Thank you, sir.
Old August 1, 2003, 17:39   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:45
Hey, Colonel Kraken,

Of course I remember you

I agree with tlatoani, SAP and particularly MedMod are the more peace- and diplomacy-oriented of the mods.
Old August 2, 2003, 08:13   #5
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Re: Which Mod?
Quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Kraken
I HATE border violatons. This WILL provoke me if it starts getting excessive.
Did you throw your civ3 disk against the wall because this was one of the most irritating element of that game - given that there is no ZOC either so you had to set up a wall of units on every inch of your borders...

It seemed to be much worse than CTP2.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old August 2, 2003, 10:45   #6
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 06:45
that and trying to kick people out of your territory in ctp2
Old August 4, 2003, 14:07   #7
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
Hey, Colonel Kraken,

Of course I remember you
Hey, thanks Locutus. Thanks all.

--CK

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian

Did you throw your civ3 disk against the wall because this was one of the most irritating element of that game - given that there is no ZOC either so you had to set up a wall of units on every inch of your borders...
Actually, it's not so bad. The AI (now) does quite a good job of staying off your turf. If they violate it too many times, they are automatically removed from your borders (unless they decide to declare war). It works pretty good. Not perfect, but decent.
Old August 4, 2003, 19:36   #8
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

I see something in a couple of other threads about the "SAP2" mod. What is this? Would I like this or Med Mod better?

Thanks,

CK
Old August 4, 2003, 21:12   #9
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 16:45
SAP2 is basically the mod that makes CTP2 as it should've been. There's nothing new in it, it just fixes bugs, imbalances and heaps of other ingame problems. It's generally recommended that instead of starting on the patched game, start on SAP2 then work into one of the other mods which add things to the game like Med mod, cradle or WAW.
Old August 5, 2003, 22:37   #10
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 07:45
its a shame, i really like MM2 but it is really outdated now and just doesnt have enough of the new stuff i see on these forums and other mods to keep me satisified.

The main mod im waiting for is Locutus's but sadly i cant see this comming out in the near future ... or ever for that fact

ah well with this source code news u never know what could happen
http://www.tiberiumsun.com