Emperor

Local Time: 06:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Don't jack my thread jack.
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Whoa! Thread-jack! *must... not... listen*

*gives in*

The difference between Gulf II and this is that they are trying to impose their philosophy on all of us, whereas we are simply saying that "It'd be a good thing to declare war on Iraq".

Don't you think it'd be counterproductive to send something over 50% of Americans to Iraq, just for kicks?
Like I said, I'm not going to take you seriously untill you start geting shot at.

Do It Ourselves
Old August 3, 2003, 11:51   #32
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:49
Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay
If I remember correctly, in addition to setting fires, the ELF also spikes trees (sticks metal spikes in them so that anyone trying to cut them with a chainsaw will have their chainsaw destroyed and will be at risk of flying chainsaw death) in logging areas, I believe. It's either them or some other kooky environmentalist group.
You remember incorrectly. Earth First! is the group of whom you are thinking, and officially they no longer spike trees. Unofficially, they probably never actually spiked any trees. That doesn't mean they couldn't put up signs and warn companies that trees were spiked. After all, the threat is as good as the real thing. On the other hand, companies also had a material reason to claim that trees had been spiked so they could shut down operations in a certain area and lay off workers. Why let the company take the blame for economic reasons when you can blame blue haird, eye brow studded, smelly freaks?

During the union organizing days, between 70 to 90 years ago, trees were spiked. No one around today remembers which trees were, and which trees weren't. One unfortunately lumber mill worker, however, found one as it splintered when it hit the saws and killed him. That was in the 1980s, and it's the only recent known instance of any one being injured by a spike.

These days, the kids either sit in the trees or they chain themselves to the gates of the forests in such a way as it takes all day to get them unhooked. During the night, a new crew sets up. AFAIK, they only do this in areas of old growth forest, so we can have trees that are more than a century old still left in our country.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 3, 2003, 12:59   #33
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:49
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Yeah, now we get people up here living in trees or stopping logging trucks while they drive across a bridge so someone can tie themselves to the truck and hang over the bridge.
Old August 3, 2003, 18:32   #34
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
we got to stop these enviro nuts before they manage to build an Eco Ranger!
Old August 3, 2003, 18:47   #35
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 02:49
NOOOOO!!!! Ctp2 references!

oh wait, they're our friends now
Old August 3, 2003, 21:58   #36
Sikander
King

ELF, just as lovable as PETA.
Old August 4, 2003, 10:25   #37
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 01:49
ELF and PETA do irreperable harm to their causes by their very extremism.
Old August 4, 2003, 13:40   #38
Oerdin
Deity

I agree these nut balls cause a great deal of harm to their cause.

As I recall ELF burned down part of a new apartment complex in San Diego a while back.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 4, 2003, 14:08   #39
Oerdin
Deity

Opps, the first post was about the apartment complex. Also I remember seeing stuff about some extremist enviromental group spiking trees though they did at least put up signs and paint markers on it so the loggers would know which trees were spiked.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 4, 2003, 15:06   #40
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:49
I thought this thread said 'Elvis attacks California' at first

The funny thing is, I don't think these people realise just how much pollution burning a building or SUV causes

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith