View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality a choice?
Yes 14 18.67%
No 49 65.33%
I don't know 7 9.33%
is that a banana in your pants? 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 2, 2003, 23:45   #1
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Is Homosexuality a choice?
Well? I've been debating with some conservatives I know, online and IRL, about the current homosexuality issues (repeal of sodomy ban, gay marriage, etc). In a few instances, I've been told that "Homosexuality is a choice and a sin." So what does 'Poly think? Do homosexuals have a choice in who they are attracted to? Is their homosexuality a choice?
Old August 2, 2003, 23:50   #2
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 02:49
Yes, every morning they wake up and say "hey, I want to be this way."

Old August 2, 2003, 23:51   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 06:49
No.
Old August 2, 2003, 23:52   #4
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Re: Is Homosexuality a choice?
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Well? I've been debating with some conservatives I know, online and IRL, about the current homosexuality issues (repeal of sodomy ban, gay marriage, etc). In a few instances, I've been told that "Homosexuality is a choice and a sin." So what does 'Poly think? Do homosexuals have a choice in who they are attracted to? Is their homosexuality a choice?
All I know is that I chose to go to a female strip club tonight instead of a male one.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old August 2, 2003, 23:53   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 00:49
Of course it is, and I am pro-choice.

All of you anti-choice morons are homophboes.
Old August 2, 2003, 23:54   #6
Worthingtons
Prince

Hiya There

I Will choose this thread as the one to formally announce my Return to Apolyton (as starting a new thread would draw attention to the fact that I , an individual actually exist and hence be closed).

I do indeed think that Homosexuality is a Choice, and it will probably attract flames, I fail to see, that with all the perfections in our DNA (Yes, we are a far from perfect race but studying biology makes one aware of just how finely tuned we are in order to 'work') that there could possibly be a flaw in such a black and white issue as Sexuality. A Key Integral of any organism is Reproduction, in Humans this is done via Intercourse between male and female, it's in our genes to be sexually attracted to the opposite sex in order to ensure reproduction takes place. Homosexuality, which would hinder reproduction, would surely then be considered a 'flaw'.

I do not believe that a Race that has been evolving thousands of years could therefore could contain a flaw on such a black and white issue.
Old August 2, 2003, 23:55   #7
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Oh thank God you're back, I was hoping you'd got lost in the depths of a gay bathhouse.
Old August 2, 2003, 23:56   #8
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

By the way Boddingtons, if homosexuality is a choice, you just admitted your ass to being bisexual because you've chosen being "straight" when you could very well get it up the ass.
Old August 2, 2003, 23:56   #9
Worthingtons
Prince

Thank you for my Welcome.

I am too Pro-Choice though Asher, I merely stated my belief that Homosexuality is a Choice, i do not consider it in any way a sin.
Old August 2, 2003, 23:57   #10
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

You live in Pride Park, jesus christ.

Gay.

And I don't want to know what kind of derbies you guys do
Old August 3, 2003, 00:00   #11
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Worthingtons: If homosexuality is such a flaw, how come it didn't get taken out by evolution? And let me ask you a question... I assume you are straight, correct? Well, when you see an attractive woman, do you choose to be attracted to her?

This is a loaded question, because when heterosexual males see an attractive female, before they have time to even make a choice, their body releases hormones. There are significant biological and chemical reactions when a heterosexual male sees an attractive female.

and considering homosexuals have the same feelings, only for the same-sex, I fail to see how it is a choice...
Old August 3, 2003, 00:00   #12
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:49
What's wrong with homoexual men? Women are just so lovely, I mean look, there's thousands of them out there just waiting to be ****ged!!!

They're on the subway, in your apartment block, selling you records... everywhere!!!

Ain't life great?

I mean - I sympathise entirely with lesbians, although I personally like to discourage them (what would we do if all women discovered the "truth"?).
Old August 3, 2003, 00:03   #13
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
What's wrong with homoexual men? Women are just so lovely, I mean look, there's thousands of them out there just waiting to be ****ged!!!

They're on the subway, in your apartment block, selling you records... everywhere!!!

Ain't life great?

I mean - I sympathise entirely with lesbians, although I personally like to discourage them (what would we do if all women discovered the "truth"?).
Jerry! Jerry! Michael! Michael!
Old August 3, 2003, 00:12   #14
Worthingtons
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
Worthingtons: If homosexuality is such a flaw, how come it didn't get taken out by evolution?

DOH! - That was my exact argument - IF it was Genetic Evolution would have taken it out!!

As for seeing a Female, yes, i would say I'm straight - But when i see that female it is Natrual to be attracted to them, i dont choose it. My Argument is that Gays Choose to be Gay, but not neccesarily based on pure attraction - I think it is sometimes down to bad experiences with Women, or misinterpreting feelings for other blokes.
Old August 3, 2003, 00:17   #15
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
DOH! - That was my exact argument - IF it was Genetic Evolution would have taken it out!!
I see.

Quote:
As for seeing a Female, yes, i would say I'm straight - But when i see that female it is Natrual to be attracted to them, i dont choose it. My Argument is that Gays Choose to be Gay, but not neccesarily based on pure attraction - I think it is sometimes down to bad experiences with Women, or misinterpreting feelings for other blokes.
Your opinion is noted, but I would suggest you investigate attraction and chemical reactions. Homosexual men experience the same chemical reactions as straight men when they view attractive people. And considering this, homosexuality cannot be a choice as you describe it.
Old August 3, 2003, 00:18   #16
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 03:49
Homosexuality isn't a choice. It is that clear cut.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old August 3, 2003, 00:19   #17
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

"hypothalamus" is the part of the brain that releases hormones and chemicals that give the feeling of attraction, BTW
Old August 3, 2003, 00:20   #18
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Worthingtons
My Argument is that Gays Choose to be Gay, but not neccesarily based on pure attraction - I think it is sometimes down to bad experiences with Women, or misinterpreting feelings for other blokes.
Your argument does not have merit. I would not choose to be this way. And nor have I ever been on a date with a women, and nor do I misinterpret feelings for other guys.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old August 3, 2003, 00:24   #19
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

As far as I'm concerned, homosexuality is at least partially biological. My understanding is that there exists a fair amount of research into the subject, and, though there has been nothing conclusive, much of the evidence collected suggests this.

Unfortunately, I can't point to anything specific, because about the only thing I've heard on the subject comes from my German teacher (has a master's in philosophy, and loves to have ethics discussions) who may or may not be an accurate source.
Old August 3, 2003, 00:26   #20
Worthingtons
Prince

Interesting Sava, I wasnt aware of that such science existed - excuse my Ignorance.
Still, I doubt very much that every person's motivation for changing sexuality is the same - the few people i have seen turn Gay have not exactly had ideal past's, A Friend i know Online accounced his sexuality about a half a year ago, and i wasnt even midly suprised, because of his past.
Old August 3, 2003, 00:28   #21
Worthingtons
Prince

Fez, I see you are trolling as usual.

You state my opinion does not have Merit yet at least i back it up with some reasoning, You are merely stating an Opinion and leaving at that - You, are the one who's opinion does not have merit (until you at least give some explanation for it).
Old August 3, 2003, 00:30   #22
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Fez, I see you are trolling as usual.

You state my opinion does not have Merit yet at least i back it up with some reasoning, You are merely stating an Opinion and leaving at that - You, are the one who's opinion does not have merit (until you at least give some explanation for it).
I am stating what I think about it. From my personal belief, as this strikes me personally. It isn't a choice. I gave my reason, I didn't choose to be this way.
Old August 3, 2003, 00:37   #23
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Interesting Sava, I wasnt aware of that such science existed - excuse my Ignorance.
Still, I doubt very much that every person's motivation for changing sexuality is the same - the few people i have seen turn Gay have not exactly had ideal past's, A Friend i know Online accounced his sexuality about a half a year ago, and i wasnt even midly suprised, because of his past.
ah, and perhaps the reason such relationships don't work is because the person is a homosexual and not really attracted to the other person. It's hard to make a relationship work when you aren't attracted to someone. And plus, some people might not realize they are homosexual until after such an experience. From birth we're socialized into thinking getting married and having children is what life is all about... and for some it is. But other people simply might be going on with "life" without truly realizing their homosexuality. I had a friend of my family come out when she was in her 50's. She has two daughters and had to divorce her husband because of the situation. I've had long conversations with this woman and they were very revealing about her situation. It's hard to accept being different, especially when you don't know why.

I can relate to homosexuals because I have depression. While the two are obviously different, I didn't realize I had severe depression until I was 18. I had always thought I was different because I didn't enjoy life, didn't see a point to it, and didn't care to live in this world. I've tried counseling, medication, therapy, and nothing works. It's just the way I was wired from birth. I haven't had terribly traumatic experiences. And since being depressed was all I ever knew, it was hard for me to have a frame of reference since I never fully felt happy.
Old August 3, 2003, 00:47   #24
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Just to throw in one tidbit from my German teacher, apparently current research is focusing possible hormonal differences between the first male child and those that follow. Apparently some correlation has been found between having an older brother and being gay. Some researchers believe this is due to drops in certain horomones following each male pregnancy.

I have no idea if this is accurate, but I thought I'd throw it out for discussion.
Old August 3, 2003, 00:49   #25
Giancarlo
King

I don't have an older brother. Perhaps that is accurate for some (maybe), but not for me.
Old August 3, 2003, 00:54   #26
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 08:49
I also rather think that Genetics may be involved. But as with Intelligence it may not be pure Genetics, but Genetics combined with Experiences in early childhood.

For example with Birds there is a Period of Imprinting, where you can make the Birds being attracted by other Species.
There is a well known Experiment, where male Zebra finches (Taeniopygia guttata) have been imprinted to display Courtship behaviour to Bengalese finches (Lonchura striata).

Maybe that Humans also have a Period in early Childhood which at least influences Sexual Preferences.

But there are also animal experiments, which show that Genetics have a certain Influence for sexual Preferences and so, as many attributes in Humans, such as the IQ, are determined by both, Genetics and Environment, I think it could be also correct for Sexual Preferences.
Old August 3, 2003, 01:03   #27
tinyp3nis
Prince

Local Time: 09:49
Quote:
I do indeed think that Homosexuality is a Choice, and it will probably attract flames, I fail to see, that with all the perfections in our DNA (Yes, we are a far from perfect race but studying biology makes one aware of just how finely tuned we are in order to 'work') that there could possibly be a flaw in such a black and white issue as Sexuality. A Key Integral of any organism is Reproduction, in Humans this is done via Intercourse between male and female, it's in our genes to be sexually attracted to the opposite sex in order to ensure reproduction takes place. Homosexuality, which would hinder reproduction, would surely then be considered a 'flaw'.
Insert any genetic fault, apply reasoning above. Conclusion is the same, which leads to --> There are no genetic faults and no genes either apprently?
If bleeders can still exists today, anything can. So what is that confuses you so much that you accept such reasoning as correct one? The volume? Too many gays? What? Please don't say that gay people didn't have children. We are finely tuned indeed, atleast the ones who get the good genes.
I don't exclude environmental factors as a part of causing gayness, but I doubt their significance.
Old August 3, 2003, 01:32   #28
Worthingtons
Prince

Of course undesirable genes exist in us, I wish My Skin was more tolerant to sun like colored people, but it's hardly a major issue, if i get sunburned woss the deal?
If , for some reason i had a gene which made me homosexual, it's be a big deal since it would threaten the prolonged existance of my species - Evolution would surely have stamped it out.

I dont disclude genetic factors based on the arguments for the subject, but it's thier significance i doubt
Old August 3, 2003, 01:43   #29
CorpusScorpius
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by tinyp3nis

If bleeders can still exists today, anything can.
There are way too many Genetic flaws that are still around to claim that evolution would have taken care of it.
Nature or Nurture, both, who knows?
Old August 3, 2003, 01:49   #30
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 02:49
I don't know.

Take a poll of the gay people, and whatever they decide, I'll assume is correct.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005