Old May 1, 2001, 00:15   #1
jake03
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:58
Local Date: October 30, 2010
science city
HI there,

I have read a lot about building science city. So If I was to build the perfect science city what would I build and in what order

Old May 1, 2001, 00:50   #2
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Local Time: 16:58
Check out the Great Library Index link to the SSC (super science city). That will give you the skinny. Basically, you build the Colossus, Copernicus' Observatory, and Sir I Newton's College in the same city. You'll need a few defenders and a temple while this is going on. While not building a wonder, build a library and later a university. A key is to build the wonders by first assembling caravans in other cities - during this time, the SSC can be productive with the necessary happiness issues or caravans.

------------------
"There is no fortress impregnable to an ass laden with gold."
-Philip of Macedon
[This message has been edited by Marquis de Sodaq (edited April 30, 2001).]
Old May 1, 2001, 01:43   #3
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Local Time: 18:58
For me the best order is:
settler (to build roads and transform forest/jungle/swamp), Colossus, 3 trade routes, library, Cope's, university, Ike's. You want to build Ike's after the library and university, because Ike's only affects library and university output, not total science output.

The other thing you need to figure out are when to build the financial improvements. I usually build a marketplace just after Cope's (I find I really need to race to get this wonder; sometimes I even have to delay the library until after it is built). I tend to build a bank and a stock exchange as soon as they become available, since, unlike Cope's, Ike's is a low-priority AI wonder and you can afford to delay it while using those caravans to build higher-priority wonders (Leo's, Mike's, Adam's for me). Superhighways and SETI get built as soon as they become available.

Last thing I'd recommend is, if you're on water, make sure you have a harbor built before you start celebrating WLTxD in Republic/Democracy. It's a mistake I made alot at first; I'd start boosting city pop and run out of food almost immediately .

------------------
Dig trenches, with our men being killed off like flies? There isn't time to dig trenches. We'll have to buy them ready made. Here, run out and get some trenches.
-- Rufus T. Firefly, the original rush-builder