Old August 3, 2003, 16:09   #1
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 00:51
Local Date: November 2, 2010
FF6 Cursed Shield and other things...
Well, this time around playing through I'm trying to do everything right.

Get the Economizers from the Bracosaur, that kind of thing.

When going for the Cursed Shield and transforming it though, I've played the required 255 battles and have yet to see it transform. Is there anything else I should know (like not stopping and saving, not sleeping at an inn, not going anywhere else, aka a screen change?) I'm starting to get disgruntled that I won't get it, and therefore won't get Ultima (I went and got the Illumina instead since I knew from previous Game Genie plays that the Paladin Shield teaches Ultima at the same rate as Ragnaork).

Also, does the Relic Ring get cured at the same rate, or can it be cured? And should I even try curing both at the same time?

Likewise, I'm going to the flaming dino forest, yet I never see a Bracosaur... are they just rare, or what.

The first time I played through with my cousin I went all Game Genie on it after we'd played through to the world of ruin and gotten familiar with the game. This time I want to go all out honest and get everything that way. Plus, I now have the FF6 Anthology version and I'd like to see what the cgi ending is now that I've ceased being impressed with the opening.

I know, I know, shouldn't have cheated the first time, but now I have the patience, and for the next few weeks, the time, to play through again and do everything right, but that's where I'm hung up currently.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...
Old August 3, 2003, 17:34   #2
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Re the Cursed Shield-- IIRC, you need the Ribbon and Cursed Shield equipped for 255 battles. I'd guess the same thing would be true for the Relic Ring...
Old August 3, 2003, 18:43   #3
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 01:51
Well, you don't NEED a Ribbon on, per se, it just makes things a lot easier. IIRC, wearing something to stop the stoning & confusion only (and other nasty-stoppers) and then equipping Imp weapons isn't a bad strategy.

That said, if you're being a nasty power-player, you don't want to level-up with the Cursed Shield equipped, since its hoses your stats, too. The Veldt is safe if you don't want any XP.

Myself, I could never bring myself to do this. FF6 is so painfully easy anyway, and I can rarely stop myself from insuring that the next person to level up always has an Esper that increases Magic power. By the end of the game, I'm only at level 30, but my Fire2s can do almost max damage.

By the way, why bother with Economizers? Gem Box + Earrings, I say. Quick, Ultima, Ultima, Ultima. Quick, Ultima, Ultima, Osmose.
Old August 6, 2003, 22:25   #4
FlameFlash
Call to Power PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMMacACDG PeaceCall To Power SuperLeagueACDG3 Data AngelsCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerC4BtSDG Team Banana
Emperor

Too true SnowFire, but I am wanting to try and get everything this time... giving myself another challenge.

Have either of you ever actually cured either of those items, or are we still talking rumor, because what I'm really wanting to know is if I can save, enter other areas, that kind of thing. I'm doubting it, but thus far I haven't been able to get in.

And as far as the Economizer goes, just getting it and a Gem Box honestly would be nice for once.

As always, will play after work. I wonder if I'll ever be able to turn that the other way...