Old August 4, 2003, 15:43   #1
Japher
Emperor

Local Time: 06:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Movie Review Thread
Last weekend I rented 4 movies, 1 one of which was scratched so I was unable to watch it (The Hours). Of the three I actually did watch here are some reviews, for no particular reason.

Punch Drunk Love:

While my wife loathed it because of it's artsy darkness, that kind-of reflected an air of dark humor/art nuevo, I found it rather enjoyable and laughable in away that made me feel guilty about it. All the performances were great, the story was dry, but kept me interested, and the character developments had me wondering about them long after the movie had ended. I wouldn't recommend this picture to my parents who would rather watch Martin Lawrence's ears flop around, but to those who enjoy a movie more for it's ability to push an envolope than for it's ability to blow-up; this one is for you.

Final Destination 2:

My wife and I enjoyed the first one, more so because it was a surprising rental of which we had no expectations for. This one, however, we approached with mild anticipation and were not let down. The movie was just as shocking and amuzing as the first one, but was, for obviouse reasons, less origional. Yet, something about waiting to see how someone will die, and to see sometimes cleaver and horrific deaths presents a level of suspense and laughability which leaves you grinning and gasping, "Oh, my god!" If you like hack-and-slash movies this duo of films will not let you down.

They:

Wes Craven has long been one of my most favorite maker of blood and gore movies. While this one got to a good start, leading you to believe that there actually was something under your bed, it never went anywhere. A couple of scenes startled you, but nothing really scared you more than anticipation of the ending, which never came. While bad endings can ruin a good movie, this movie was not only suffering due to it's ending. Poorly developed characters, poor special effects (of which there were few), and dime-a-dozen actors plagued this dry and unemotional flick. In all, I would not recommend this rental to my worst enemy; instead I would recommend 'Hoodlum', and let them really no what suffering is.
Old August 4, 2003, 16:06   #2
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 15:53
Gigli is really bad.
Old August 4, 2003, 17:36   #3
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 01:53
Bump, just so that poor Japher will have at LEAST two posts in his thread.
Old August 4, 2003, 17:37   #4
Japher
Emperor

my threads always suck, oh-well, not like this one was on anything
Old August 4, 2003, 17:38   #5
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
my threads always suck, oh-well, not like this one was on anything
Hey -- you will probably get more posts this evening when more people are at home.
Old August 4, 2003, 17:39   #6
Japher
Emperor

No, this will be on page 3 by then, and nobody bothers to look back that far.
Old August 4, 2003, 17:44   #7
MrFun
Emperor

I usually (but not always) go to the first page of a thread regardless of length.

Then I am likely to skip to the last page, to the current point of the discussion if it's four or more pages long. Otherwise, I scan through all three pages.
Old August 4, 2003, 20:19   #8
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 17:53
He means page three of the OT forum. People only check the first page, and on rare occasions the second.
Old August 4, 2003, 20:25   #9
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
He means page three of the OT forum. People only check the first page, and on rare occasions the second.
ah
Old August 4, 2003, 21:59   #10
Japher
Emperor

Well, I can't believe this was still on page 1 (of the forum)

Yet, I also want to give my review of Pirates of Carrririrbebenaean (spelling?) for Boris, since he told me to go see it.

Pirates:

This was the best movie of the year hands down, and I think it will be hard to beat. I have gone to the theatrerer twice two see it already, and I really want to go see it again. The hot chick was kewl:b, anb Johnny Depp deserves an Oscar for his performance and would debate putting ol' what's his bad face Balduco up for supporting actor. The sets were awesome, the score perfect, special effects amazing, and the direction superb. All in all I have never been so surprised by a Disney movie, and I hope they keep with this director and continue to turn out movies such as this... Though, I am no fan of Bruckheimer, I can only asume he had no hand in this movie apart from forking up the cash... Yet, it was well worth it... If you haven't seen this movie, go before it is out of the theatereres, you will be glad you did...

P.S.
I'm not drunk, I'm stupid.
Old August 4, 2003, 22:09   #11
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 00:53
Well,

Pirates:

Was better than it had any right to be. Very fun movie, Johnny Depp was amazing in it, and Rush was also very good.

T3:

Nothing special, but it does the job it sets out to do.

Bruce all Mighty:

Not as funny as Ace ventura, but has more depth. Better than the last few Carey movies.

Nemo:

Excellent, Pixar continues to bat 1000.

Mondays in the Sun:

Great Spanish flcik about unemployed shipyard workers.

Cukooo:

Very interesting Russian flick: the Lapp woman looks great, and does a good job for a first time actress. Overall good, but not for everyone.

Swimming Pool:

OK, strange ending did not sit well with me, but seeing Sagnier naked
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 4, 2003, 22:36   #12
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:53
Gepap, you have talent for being a critic

Short and to the point , none of that fancy smancy stuff here
Old August 4, 2003, 23:13   #13
GePap
Emperor

Save people reading time, no?

Hmm... which others?

Well, as a preview (since it does not come out till Octoberm but I got into an advanced screening)

School of Rock:

Comedy starring Jack Black. Black fits role perfectly, the kids in it are very good. Very frmulaic, but if you don;t mind, the formula works.

City of God:

Many excellent scenes, but overall too long.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 4, 2003, 23:22   #14
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 23:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Pirates of the Carribean: Best movie of the year? Probably. I'd have to see X2 again to make sure. Depp is, obviously, brilliant. And Rush! Rush fills his role perfectly; the ultimate foil for Depp. Beautiful. Plus, it had Jonathan Pryce, and I support any venture that gives that wonderful man work. I can't wait for the DVD.

Terminator 3: I was suitably entertained. Arnie was good. Nothing memorable, but I got what I went for. I liked the ending and would definitely see a fourth installment if they make one.

Finding Nemo: Third best movie of the year, definitely. Brooks is always great. Pixar can do no wrong.

Gangs of New York: Love it, love it, love it. Last year's best pic by far. One of the few jewels of my DVD collection.

Beetlejuice: I really, really love this movie. One of the most likeable casts of all time... Baldwin, Jones, O'Hara, Ryder, GOULET (!)... And Keaton is pitch-perfect. A true classic. Love it.

On a related note: Only 8 more days 'til Futurama Season 2 comes out on DVD! I cannae wait.
Old August 4, 2003, 23:36   #15
Japher
Emperor

Nemo: Great movie, PIXAR has once again out done themselves, and I agree that Disney are going down on the animation which is more why they need to put out more movies like PIRATES

Old School: Rented this, and while it had some funny skits, really let me down in the long run... I'm going streaking....!
Old August 5, 2003, 04:56   #16
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cinch
On a related note: Only 8 more days 'til Futurama Season 2 comes out on DVD! I cannae wait.
Really? Season 3 is out here already and has been for some time.
Old August 5, 2003, 05:28   #17
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

I just saw Cremaster 3, an almost unbelievably pretentious art film.

It clocked in at around three hours and as near as I can tell it was a symbolic retelling of a Masonic initiation and the life of Masonic figure Hiram Abiff. Takes place mostly in the Chrysler Building and the stairs of the Guggenheim.

Great cinematography, sets, costumes, and even some cool special effects.

But a little too arty for it's own good, I'm afraid.

The people in front of me seemed a little offended when I said the first half of the movie reminded me of a Super Mario Bros game for some odd reason.

Then they seemed really pissed after the second half, which was very, very much like a Mario Bros game, only played on the circular staircase of the Guggenheim. I think I ruined the movie for them and I'm glad.

Appearances by Agnostic Front, world's worst sculptor Richard Serra, and legless track star Aimee Mullins, who is absolutely stunningly beautiful (see below).
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	aimee.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	50937  
Old August 5, 2003, 13:48   #18
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 23:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
that's an interesting sexual position

I have only seen 2 films lately

T2 and 28 days later. I liked them both, but both could have used some improvements.

I guess I'll see that pirate movie. At first I was worried it was too aimed at kids. Is there at least a decent amount of adult stuff in this movie? Everyone says it is good, so I should get around to seeing it.