Old August 7, 2003, 20:00   #151
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 01:54
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Verto
It seems that the 'liberals' have these basic views.
Hmmm, I'm a liberal so let's see.

Quote:
1.) They know what the rich can and should pay in taxes.
Most people should pay taxes. On the other hand, if everyone earned at least a living wage, then everyone should pay taxes. Thus, trivially, the rich should pay taxes.

Quote:
2.) The wealthy should be punished for having succeeded in a free economy.
Sounds like Rush Limbaugh rhetoric to me. No punishment, just a rate based on the marginal utility of each dollar. I utterly disagree with you here.

Quote:
3.) It is not about the government existing on the amount of funds the American people feel it deserves. It is about the American people paying enough taxes to keep government afloat.
The "people" typically feel that the government should do all sorts of things but that the "people" shouldn't get taxed. I.e. people want programs without taxes. So yes, it is about giving government sufficient funds to avoid deficits - not what the people feel the government deserves. I'll go with you on this one also.

2 out of 3 isn't bad.
Old August 7, 2003, 20:16   #152
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Strangelove -
Quote:
Yes, but if you make 5 million the payroll tax is peanuts.
We were talking about $100,000 income.

Quote:
Medical ethics dictates that I can't abandon people just because they change from private insurance to public. In some instances that would be virtually manslaughter. Even if that weren't the case I would not refuse to treat a person based on the type of insurance they have. Can you understand that?
Strangelove, what does all this have to do with the subject we were discussing?

Quote:
Well, I can't ask my office staff to work for free, can I?
Again, what does this have to do with anything? Did I say you should?

Quote:
Anyway I don't think I overcharge, particularly when you consider what lawyers ask for an hour's work.
Even if true, so what? It is a FACT that the medical profession is driven to over-charge some people because of government policies.

Quote:
No, you complain about the progressive tax rate, then I inform you of the burden the government places on one particular group that provides services to them.
No Strangelove, I pointed out the hypocrisy of liberals like Sharpton and their terminology and you said my "hypothetical" was bogus, a charge I refuted which you then dropped. Progressivity is a second issue and one you've ignored till now...

Quote:
The progressive tax is at least distributed and legally mandated.
Slavery and genocide were legal.

Quote:
The retroactive fee adjustments enforced by Medicare are focused on one small group, and probably have no legal precident.
What does this have to do with anything? If you want a debate on all this stuff, start your own thread.
Old August 7, 2003, 20:43   #153
rmsharpe
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Half of my income isn't enough for Sharpton, I guess.

Perhaps if I get myself a phony "Reverend" title and start a "non-profit" organization, I could evade paying my taxes, too.
Old August 7, 2003, 21:02   #154
Ned
King

Local Time: 22:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Guys like Sharpton are trying to impose equality on society using progressive taxation. They could care less about whether this hurts economic activity or whether it is fair and just. It is more of "from each according to his ability and to each according to his need" philosophy.

Sharpton is a Marxists, clearly.

Now, if communism is your cup of tea, Sharpton is your man. It seems to me Sharpton would be the ideal candidate for the Democrats, as he truly represents their core values.