Old August 5, 2003, 04:13   #1
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 00:55
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Feudal $MiniGame Demogame: A New Government

I have a few ideas that I hope will revitalize the government we use in this new demogame.

First of all, land = votes. For every tile one person owns, he gets one vote in the monthly national election. This represents the landowner's ability to influence the peasents that works his lands.
Of course, if you owned no land you would (for fairness sake, and to make things interesting - see below) get one vote. If you had pledged your allegience to another lord, you would be expected to vote the same way he does.

My hope is that that the above will revitalize political parties. I can see a few people with lots of land uniting, and a larger group of small landowners working together.

Second, financial incentive for elected office. Call it a salary. This would encourage peope to run for office in the first place.

Third, a parliament, or something to that effect.

The 'House of Commons' consists of everybody, something like the NewCon's Senate. They vote on all game matters, and on the creation/amendment of rules.

The 'House of Lords' is a more exclusive body. Let's say our civ has x number of tiles. For every y tiles (where y is a fixed number), rounded down, there is one member of the House of Lords. Of course, y is a fairly high number, say 50 . To become a member of the House of Lords, you need to have y tiles. Of course, since y is a larger number, it would be difficult for one person to have that many tiles. You can either own the fifty tiles, or have a group of people who have y tiles between them. Once chosen, you will remain a Lord, no elections. However, if you displease those people backing you, or somehow end up with less than y tiles, you lose your spot in the House. The Lords only vote on matters involving creating/amending new laws.

The House of Lord would be another encourager of political parties. To become a Lord, you would probably have to gather a group of people to use their tiles, along with yours, to back you.
Another key: both houses create the laws. They could create laws to discourage other political parties, thus making the political arena just a bit more interesting.

Lastly, one more position, something like a God. To keep people on their feet, this neutral God could come in at random points and screw around.
For example, the God could come in and, through some twist of fate, say, kill/discredit/incite revolts against a major landowner. This landowner loses everything he owns. He was a member of the House of Lords, which gives someone a chance to take the spot. He loses his office, forcing a special election, etc.

Any thoughts on this odd rant caused by a lack of doughnuts?
Old August 5, 2003, 07:35   #2
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Re: Feudal $MiniGame Demogame: A New Government
Quote:
Originally posted by Octavian X

Second, financial incentive for elected office. Call it a salary. This would encourage peope to run for office in the first place.
Its already in there, they get a cut of all the money made from auctioning off units and land.
Old August 5, 2003, 07:43   #3
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 06:55
Hmmmm.... doughnuts....

d'oh!!!!

This is very similar to the two house system that I orriginally set up for GoW. It got shot down rather quickly by virtually every member of the team (and a majority of them are on the list for this game) as being TOO CORRUPT. Plus it would make things much more complicated than they already are.

Here is another proposal:

Emperor: Plays the Game.

Imperial Advisor: Plays the game is the Emperor is not available.

Imperial Ambassador: In charge of all FA matters except War/Peace.

Domestic Minister: None. All DM matters to be decided by city Mayors (elections to be held monthly) to include PW, Builds, Queues, and WF.
WF issues: If more than one city can work a tile, a three step process can be used to determine which city actually gets to use the tile.
1) All city Mayors in question come to a compromise. All Mayors involved must agree to this compromise. If they don't, then it goes to step two.
2) The tile owner gets to decide which city gets to work his tile.
3) If the tile owner in question opts for working for another city, the owners of the surounding tile my "send in the troops" to force the situation.

SMC (or Supreme Imperial Commander): There is no standing SMC/SIC. The only time there is is when there has been an Imperial Decree from the Senate. If there is an Imperial Decree, then the APPOINTED SMC/SIC has complete control over all units with a defensive value. The Imperial Decree last until the Senate votes to cancel the Decree.

The matter of Exploration is a different matter. I would say that the exploration of the Seas be given to the Imperial Ambassador, as the Mapwhoring will need to be done every turn or every other turn. Early exploration could either be an Amended Imperial Decree (one that grants SIC powers on a limited basis which would be described in the decree itself) or just have everyone vote/quick poll.

City placement issues will be up to the person/persons who own the shares of a settler.

City Conquest. This is an issue that needs to be looked at in greater detail. Yes the idea of "if my units take the city, it becomes my city" concept is very appealing, but it limits the sale of tiles and could seriously hamper the expansion of the game to new players. I am not saying drop it completely, just that we need to look at it more closely.

I guess thats enough rambling for now. let me know what you guys think.

like I really needed to tell you guys to tell me what you think!!!!
Old August 5, 2003, 16:54   #4
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I left an area blank in the rules list because I had been thinking we might want to work a two house system into it.

My thoughts were a House of Lords with one vote per tile owned and a Senate where each member of the DemoGame got one vote. I was having a hard time coming up with what the two groups would vote on though.
Old August 6, 2003, 03:08   #5
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
This is very similar to the two house system that I orriginally set up for GoW. It got shot down rather quickly by virtually every member of the team (and a majority of them are on the list for this game) as being TOO CORRUPT. Plus it would make things much more complicated than they already are.
I dunno: I was thinking this corruption in an easier game would be more interesting.