Old September 11, 2003, 09:27   #421
Havak
King

Local Time: 07:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The more serious side of that of course is that we play far too much rugby here - and none of the various sponsors of the tournaments are prepared to give up their prime slot in the calendar.

But logically May/June would have been far better for us - given we play a full league program throughout the RWC and six nations this season.

So is it possible, just possible mind you, that the tri-nations countries didn't want it before that tournament (that didn't exist in 95) - in which case you are as stubborn as we are.

A real case of everybody loses I think?
Old September 11, 2003, 11:23   #422
Caligastia
Emperor

Local Time: 02:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Havak
Make sure you catch England v Georgia though.
Ha, not likely. I'll probably watch NZ v Italy though.
Old September 11, 2003, 11:36   #423
Havak
King

Well if you are happy watching second division stuff instead of my recommended Clash of the Titans...

Poor Italy - five years ago they would have given a decent showing I think (they would never have beaten you) but now they are really at a low point. Two wins in four years in the six nations - at home to Scotland and Wales. Kind of says it all really?

As for fixtures - Pumas-Australia and Ireland-Australia should be tasty and I'm certainly going to catch NZ-Wales.
Old September 11, 2003, 12:08   #424
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 08:57
If you are in need of real competition and matches between even parties be sure to watch France - USA.
Old September 11, 2003, 12:08   #425
Caligastia
Emperor

Not to mention England v South Africa.

Will anyone be watching Georgia vs. Samoa?

I'm going to try to watch all the USA games. They should have a good chance of beating Japan and possibly Fiji. Hopefully they also beat Scotland and make it past pool play.
Old September 11, 2003, 19:30   #426
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tamerlin
If you are in need of real competition and matches between even parties be sure to watch France - USA.
There's a lot of Australian in you, Tamerlin. Except your command of English is better than most Australians'.
Old September 11, 2003, 19:55   #427
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Nothing against France, but I'll be cheering for the US.
Old September 11, 2003, 20:59   #428
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by finbar
There's a lot of Australian in you, Tamerlin.
Given what you are usually saying about your compatriots I don't know if I must take it for a compliment or for an insult.

Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia
Just for that I hope they will be slaughtered...

...the Eagles of course.
Old September 11, 2003, 21:02   #429
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Given what you are usually saying about your compatriots I don't know if I must take it for a compliment or for an insult.
Bit of both. Australians love to kick their "heroes" when they're down too. But your English is vastly superior to most Australians.
Old September 11, 2003, 23:21   #430
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 14:57
The Boks seem to have put their inquiry into recent allegations of racism on hold until next year.

http://www.planetrugby.com/LATEST_NE...ry_30597.shtml

While this may indeed be more beneficial to their players performance I can't help but feel that its just going to add more fuel to the fire as far as international media coverage is concerned ...
Old September 12, 2003, 00:20   #431
finbar
Emperor

It's called copping out.
Old September 12, 2003, 00:23   #432
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
At my college, the rugby team is a social and competitive club. We just had a party with one of the sororities. Its good stuff.

BALL'S OUT!
Old September 12, 2003, 03:54   #433
finbar
Emperor

Old September 12, 2003, 04:13   #434
Havak
King

Quote:
You meant France-Australia surely Tamerlin?

Quote:
Will anyone be watching Georgia vs. Samoa?
You know I probably will – I get rather sad around RWC time and watch almost any game.

Quote:
Hopefully they also beat Scotland and make it past pool play.
Ireland – minus the noted injured players – destroyed Scotland last weekend. Behind the scrum Scotland look woeful. The forwards are solid but if the Eagles can match them up front they have every chance I would say.

Remember however we are talking about an Eagles side that was destroyed twice inside a week in June by an England XV that didn’t include any of the 30 players touring in Aus and NZ – that doesn’t speak much for the current strength of the Eagles to me?

Quote:
There's a lot of Australian in you, Tamerlin. Except your command of English is better than most Australians'.
As you have both noted – a super way there to both insult and compliment a man all at the same time?
His command of English is of course better than most Brits possess!

Quote:
I should cheer for France I know – but I may have to jump ship on Tamerlin here – I’d certainly rather draw the US in the semi final than France – if we get that far (and fun exchanges aside I’m not assuming anything there).

Are you truly surprised the Boks have held off the enquiry? It simply can’t help the team performance to have it before the tournament. And anyway their coach believes the incident has helped ‘bond’ the squad. I really am starting to wonder what planet the guy lives on?
Old September 12, 2003, 04:52   #435
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
As you have both noted – a super way there to both insult and compliment a man all at the same time?
I heard an esteemed French author and philosopher on the wireless this afternoon talking about the wrongness of the current approach to Islam. From his turn of phrase, I could've sworn it was Tamerlin. Our Man in Toulouse is hiding his not inconsiderable light under a rather large bushel, methinks.

Quote:
Are you truly surprised the Boks have held off the enquiry? It simply can’t help the team performance to have it before the tournament. And anyway their coach believes the incident has helped ‘bond’ the squad. I really am starting to wonder what planet the guy lives on?
It will haunt them all the way. The man's a moron.
Old September 12, 2003, 06:37   #436
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by finbar
I heard an esteemed French author and philosopher on the wireless this afternoon talking about the wrongness of the current approach to Islam. From his turn of phrase, I could've sworn it was Tamerlin. Our Man in Toulouse is hiding his not inconsiderable light under a rather large bushel, methinks.
Alas, no! I am nor esteemed nor an author or philosopher or any kind. The only things I am writing are adventures for my fellow role playing gamers which can hardly be considered as litterature... though it is generally very entertaining.
Old September 12, 2003, 06:51   #437
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
You meant France-Australia surely Tamerlin?
Are the Aussies so desperate?

Quote:
I should cheer for France I know – but I may have to jump ship on Tamerlin here – I’d certainly rather draw the US in the semi final than France – if we get that far (and fun exchanges aside I’m not assuming anything there).
False brother!

Quote:
A few decades ago it was called Propaganda!

Quote:
OK, I have finally understood... you both have something to ask to me!
Old September 12, 2003, 07:11   #438
Havak
King

Um...you mean like "Can you lend me a tenner (make that twenty euros)?"
Old September 12, 2003, 10:02   #439
finbar
Emperor

Read this for some very unpleasant detail of what's been going on within the Springbok squad.
Old September 12, 2003, 11:00   #440
Havak
King

Very disturbing stuff - though it is rather pleasing to see Kempson and Krige come out of it with some positive personal integrity.
Old September 12, 2003, 11:28   #441
spartak
King

Local Time: 06:57
Awful.
Old September 12, 2003, 11:44   #442
Caligastia
Emperor

I just don't see what all the fuss is about, and why everybody thinks it's their business. If the Springboks have players with racial prejudices, then obviously that's going to cause problems with team unity. It's up to them to either get the player to confront his prejudices or get rid of him.

Another factor in this is the institution of racial quotas. It must be hard enough to get white players who were raised under apartheid to accept playing with non-whites even without racial quotas. There must be huge resentment towards players who are promoted because of their race, not their ability.
Old September 12, 2003, 11:47   #443
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
Just for that I hope they will be slaughtered...
They probably will be, but you can't blame me for cheering them on. After all, I do live here, so I have an interest in supporting US rugby.
Old September 12, 2003, 11:55   #444
Caligastia
Emperor

Quote:
You know I probably will – I get rather sad around RWC time and watch almost any game.
Do you sad as in pathetic? Well call me pathetic then because I will probably do the same. As I said - my wife will miss me.

Quote:
Ireland – minus the noted injured players – destroyed Scotland last weekend. Behind the scrum Scotland look woeful. The forwards are solid but if the Eagles can match them up front they have every chance I would say.
The Eagles have been doing better than they historically do. They managed to beat Canada quite convincingly. Normally Canada would easily roll them. As I have said before, rugby is growing here.

Quote:
Remember however we are talking about an Eagles side that was destroyed twice inside a week in June by an England XV that didn’t include any of the 30 players touring in Aus and NZ – that doesn’t speak much for the current strength of the Eagles to me?
Perhaps not, but I think the same England team the Eagles faced probably could have beaten Scotland.

The Eagles are capable of suprising. Last year they played a Springbok team that was a mix of first and second string players and only lost by 20. They were actually ahead for the first half.
Old September 12, 2003, 14:26   #445
spartak
King

Local Time: 06:57
If the six nations were played on the merit of the teams would the England A, B and C size deserve to play instead of Wales Scotland and Italy?
Old September 12, 2003, 17:52   #446
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by spartak
If the six nations were played on the merit of the teams would the England A, B and C size deserve to play instead of Wales Scotland and Italy?
I'd imagine a two-man team of Clive Woodward and Will Carling would deserve a place in front of Italy at the moment.
Old September 12, 2003, 18:49   #447
finbar
Emperor

Brisbane weather update. Last night they played an AFL semi-final in Brisbane. Yesterday's max was 34C. It was 26C during the game. Players donned ice vests in the breaks between quarters and when on the interchange bench.
Old September 12, 2003, 18:50   #448
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Very disturbing stuff - though it is rather pleasing to see Kempson and Krige come out of it with some positive personal integrity.
As I've said before about Krige, there's a lot to admire about the man. If only he didn't let himself down with some appalling onfield behaviour.
Old September 12, 2003, 19:01   #449
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 18:57
Waikato -d- Otago 27-15

Top of the table clash sees Waikato move to the top of the NPC. Waikato score 4 tries to none. Only Willie Walker's penalties kept Otago in the hunt... Very very interesting stats at the end of the game.

Possesion WAI 37% OTA 63%
Rucks/Mauls WAI 61 OTA 121
Handling Errors WAI 5 OTA 15
Scrums won WAI 9 OTA 1
Old September 12, 2003, 21:42   #450
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
Waikato -d- Otago 27-15

Top of the table clash sees Waikato move to the top of the NPC. Waikato score 4 tries to none. Only Willie Walker's penalties kept Otago in the hunt... Very very interesting stats at the end of the game.

Possesion WAI 37% OTA 63%
Rucks/Mauls WAI 61 OTA 121
Handling Errors WAI 5 OTA 15
Scrums won WAI 9 OTA 1
Interesting stats indeed. Otago had heaps more ball but obviously coughed it up heaps more. And, with no tries, they obviously had trouble finishing. Or, to put it the other way, Waikato made the very most of their opportunities. Incredible ruck/maul imbalance too.