Old August 13, 2003, 19:43   #91
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 08:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by finbar
I made a yummy Self-Saucing Chocolate Pudding for pud tonight. Now I wish I hadn't. I've got a heap of work to do and all I want to do is go to sleep.
I did! And had to get up at 6 this morning to finish what I should have finished last night!
Old August 13, 2003, 20:40   #92
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 18:57
Poor Australian Dental Health.
Old August 13, 2003, 22:39   #93
finbar
Emperor

Poor Australia Full Stop

There are a couple of portions of pud left over. Want some? Better get in quick before Havak's sweet tooth Hoovers it up.
Old August 13, 2003, 22:43   #94
Frozzy
Emperor

Sorry, just had lunch. Nice bacon sandwich.
Old August 13, 2003, 23:27   #95
finbar
Emperor

Poor New Zealand Cholesterol Levels.
Old August 13, 2003, 23:32   #96
Frozzy
Emperor

It's counteracted by good exercise.
Old August 14, 2003, 00:10   #97
finbar
Emperor

Exercise - good or bad - doesn't counter cholesterol.
Old August 14, 2003, 00:12   #98
Frozzy
Emperor

Counteracts fat which counteracts the chances of heart attacks.
Old August 14, 2003, 01:30   #99
finbar
Emperor

Cholesterol and "fat" aren't necessarily the same thing.
Old August 14, 2003, 01:37   #100
Frozzy
Emperor

Both are health risks.
Old August 14, 2003, 02:54   #101
finbar
Emperor

Yellow and red are both colours but they're not the same thing.
Old August 14, 2003, 02:55   #102
Frozzy
Emperor

Luku?
Old August 14, 2003, 03:48   #103
Havak
King

Local Time: 07:57
Good grief guys what was that all about? Healthy eating is a pint of bitter and a pork pie surely – though I could settle for a bacon sarnie and a choccy pud.

Quote:
In this case, he's right.
About the rebuilding yes – but the pre-emptive RWC excuse is there as well.

Quote:
We got more room - or made more space - against England than against the others. Except for Wales. Now I'm confused.
Because shocking as it was we were the ones attacking and pushing forward and creating the gaps for the counters – both teams therefore were playing against type. With the exception of individual brilliance from Sailor for the try and that break by Rogers our defence remained quite untroubled – not what one would ever expect from playing the Aussies.

On the plus side I think our boys could have mauled you around the park all game?

Quote:
When you meet a team only once, it gives more intensity to the match.
And arguably makes it more attractive to TV too.

Is it a cash cow Finbar? The Southern Unions have always been very evasive about that. The Six nations is a strange one in terms of money – TV is happy to pay top dollar for England-France (the fixture Sky wanted to keep) and the England-Ireland Sam decider could have sold for any price – but Wales-Scotland doesn’t make money.

This is why the expanded tournament keeps being raised – they can sell England-Australia and England-ABs (and yes England-Boks) here as often as they like – it’s hugely attractive to the fans.

The solution is easy – as you guys play out of season the tri antions should be scrapped and a different tournament hosted here (with every game at Twickenham). Sounds reasonable?

Finbar – you were up and working before I even thought of turning in – time differences can make the mind boggle.
Old August 14, 2003, 04:08   #104
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Havak
Good grief guys what was that all about? Healthy eating is a pint of bitter and a pork pie surely – though I could settle for a bacon sarnie and a choccy pud.
I don't know about the bacon sanger - and I wouldn't like to be on its journey at the moment - but I'll email you a serve of the pud. With half a cup of pure cream on the side. Delish!

Quote:
About the rebuilding yes – but the pre-emptive RWC excuse is there as well.
He, like any sensible person, has written them off.

Quote:
Because shocking as it was we were the ones attacking and pushing forward and creating the gaps for the counters – both teams therefore were playing against type.
It doesn't matter how it came about, the point still stands.

Quote:
Is it a cash cow Finbar? The Southern Unions have always been very evasive about that. The Six nations is a strange one in terms of money – TV is happy to pay top dollar for England-France (the fixture Sky wanted to keep) and the England-Ireland Sam decider could have sold for any price – but Wales-Scotland doesn’t make money.
The SH RUs do very well out of S12. It's more than just the TV and Pay-TV rights, there's also a lot of sponsorship involved. Are the 6-Nations broadcast rights sold match by match? That's what it sounds like you're saying.

One of the problems with the Tri-Nations for the players, as one of the AB players recently pointed out, is that they're just playing against the same players they play - seemingly endlessly - in S12.

Quote:
Finbar – you were up and working before I even thought of turning in – time differences can make the mind boggle.
Shame on you! You'll be keeping Tamerlin hours next!
Old August 14, 2003, 04:18   #105
Andydog
Civilization IV PBEMIron Civers
Emperor

I heard that New Zealand are the ones that suggested that the Bledisloe goes back to 3, as we need the additional revenue from TV etc. The only reason John O'Neil made the announcement is that the Kiwis invited the exec team from the ARU over to the final Bledisloe to discuss this as well as a 4th Australian team in the Super 12. It sounds like the Aussies will agree to a third game if the Kiwis agree to the 4th team.
Old August 14, 2003, 04:21   #106
Frozzy
Emperor

I don't get this.

If Australian players are divided between 4 franchises, surely they will be weaker?
Old August 14, 2003, 06:43   #107
Havak
King

Quote:
I'll email you a serve of the pud. With half a cup of pure cream on the side. Delish!
Boy did this make me feel hungry!!

Quote:
He, like any sensible person, has written them off.
Marvelous line – argue against it and I become instantly a non sensible person. Never the less…

Quote:
It doesn't matter how it came about, the point still stands.
Legal chicanery! (with apologies to Tamerlins copyright) The back story is important – and worth retelling time and time again…

Quote:
Are the 6-Nations broadcast rights sold match by match? That's what it sounds like you're saying.
Domestic rights are sold in a block of home games by country. Sky released the entire England franchise because they couldn’t just keep the fixture they wanted (v France). Apologies for the confusion. The BBC now have the 6N England rights, they have long held the rest of the UK rights (paid two peanuts for them of course) – the BBC has a very symbiotic deal with RTE in Ireland for those games and some French broadcaster for the France fixtures. Net result – I get to see every game on Auntie Beeb.

Sky have retained the autumn games as they are huge crowd (and sponsorship) pullers at the moment whilst we are knocking you all over (they would be big draws anyway but beating all comers has helped supersize them).

Quote:
One of the problems with the Tri-Nations for the players, as one of the AB players recently pointed out, is that they're just playing against the same players they play - seemingly endlessly - in S12.
Well to be honest S12 is not a competition I see any point of outside of money – I know you have pointed out the Aussies benefit because of your small club system but I’ve never seen what the Kiwis get out of it. I honestly think the Kiwis and Boks would be better served by a ‘Pacific cup’ knockout tournament along the lines of the Euro Cup.

The fatal problem with S12 – there are six teams every time that shouldn’t even bother taking part – the bottom four get creamed regularly because all the best players are pushed into certain franchises. In the English Premiership the bottom side can and has beaten the top – it’s far more competitive (excepting the odd four seasons dominated by Tigers of course). S12 is fake, it’s unfair in terms of lacking a level playing field and the rugby played is nothing like test rugger (in fact it is utterly tedious at times when you think the ref must have swallowed his ******* whistle for what he lets go) – what does it offer except money?

I think to match Tamerlin hours I might need his love of horticulture.

Whilst I would like to see more Aussie-AB games to be honest with you chaps I’d rather see both those teams play us and France more often instead – but then that means more to us than you I suspect (I fully expect the Kiwis to avoid us outside the RWC for a very long time now) – and the Kiwi public already seems to be using revisionist history on June and November anyway – “we didn’t really lose because it was the wrong type of sky/grass/we fielded players with one leg/if only Carlos knew which direction the sticks were in” etc.

Yes I am in one of those moods as it happens…
Old August 14, 2003, 07:32   #108
Andydog
Emperor

Quote:
and the Kiwi public already seems to be using revisionist history on June and November anyway – “we didn’t really lose because it was the wrong type of sky/grass/we fielded players with one leg/if only Carlos knew which direction the sticks were in” etc.
Now I hope you're all listening - THIS is what you call bait ladies and gentlemen... none of this half-arsed maggots on a hook thing – but full on goading swathes of text like this young bitter drinker has produced.
Old August 14, 2003, 07:39   #109
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Quote:
In the English Premiership the bottom side can and has beaten the top – it’s far more competitive (excepting the odd four seasons dominated by Tigers of course).
You're quite lucky with your championship. In France, there are usually half of the teams which start with no chance of winning, and then most of them would be more than happy to get into the final phases. There are only a few strong clubs, but even a side like Colomiers, which managed to get into a final of the Heineken cup, bleeds players regularly, mostly to their neighbour Toulouse, but also to other big rich clubs like the Stade Francais (Galthie explicitly said he left Colomiers to stand a chance of winning the Brennus shield, which he did with Paris).
Net result is that the French championship has little followers on TV until the final phases, and there's almost only one match you can be sure to watch on TV, the final. Nobody cares to see Toulouse smash La Rochelle on TV. Those who care will be at the stadium, and the good players from La Rochelle will leave their club and play for Toulouse.
Old August 14, 2003, 08:16   #110
Havak
King

I was being a little flippant LDiCesare - our league does have problems but they are chiefly now between the first and second division with the former trying to keep anyone coming into the boys club from the latter. I rate the Premiership as much more competitive than the S12 however - and it sounds like the same holds true in comparsion to the French top league.

I made the bait smell like a week old kipper deliberately of course AndyDog - lest anyone think I was deadly serious.

I already knew as I wrote it that both the ABs and Wallabies had in fact agreed to face us again next year as well as hoping to get that 3rd game between themselves.

See who faces who here

Scotland Finbar? Why?
Old August 14, 2003, 08:40   #111
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Andydog
I heard that New Zealand are the ones that suggested that the Bledisloe goes back to 3, as we need the additional revenue from TV etc. The only reason John O'Neil made the announcement is that the Kiwis invited the exec team from the ARU over to the final Bledisloe to discuss this as well as a 4th Australian team in the Super 12. It sounds like the Aussies will agree to a third game if the Kiwis agree to the 4th team.
I think you're quite right. It will be a trade off.
Old August 14, 2003, 08:41   #112
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
Luku?
Pardon?
Old August 14, 2003, 08:45   #113
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Frozzy
I don't get this.

If Australian players are divided between 4 franchises, surely they will be weaker?
The ARU believes there are sufficient players of sufficient quality to staff the extra franchise.
Old August 14, 2003, 08:59   #114
finbar
Emperor

Quote:

Boy did this make me feel hungry!!
Sorry, we finished the leftovers tonight.

Quote:
Marvelous line – argue against it and I become instantly a non sensible person. Never the less…
Come in spinner, as the saying goes.

Quote:
Domestic rights are sold in a block of home games by country. Sky released the entire England franchise because they couldn’t just keep the fixture they wanted (v France). Apologies for the confusion. The BBC now have the 6N England rights, they have long held the rest of the UK rights (paid two peanuts for them of course) – the BBC has a very symbiotic deal with RTE in Ireland for those games and some French broadcaster for the France fixtures. Net result – I get to see every game on Auntie Beeb.
Now I get it. You obviously prefer the Beeb.

Quote:
Well to be honest S12 is not a competition I see any point of outside of money – I know you have pointed out the Aussies benefit because of your small club system but I’ve never seen what the Kiwis get out of it. I honestly think the Kiwis and Boks would be better served by a ‘Pacific cup’ knockout tournament along the lines of the Euro Cup.
That has been the Kiwi argument - they don't need S12. You're right, both the Boks and Kiwis might be better off with a knock-out club comp, except the travel time would make it nearly impossible.

Quote:
The fatal problem with S12 – there are six teams every time that shouldn’t even bother taking part – the bottom four get creamed regularly because all the best players are pushed into certain franchises.
I agree. The Boks have at least one team too many, possibly two.

Quote:
I think to match Tamerlin hours I might need his love of horticulture.
I assume he's out with his hydroponic set up at the moment.
Old August 14, 2003, 09:05   #115
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Andydog
Now I hope you're all listening - THIS is what you call bait ladies and gentlemen... none of this half-arsed maggots on a hook thing – but full on goading swathes of text like this young bitter drinker has produced.
I didn't even read the para. I've long since learned to read the signals. I actually thought I'd educated him in the finer points of baiting but he has, sadly, regressed to his Saxon forefathers' unsubtle ways. In fact, I must petition Dan and Markos for a special Havak smilie - a chainmailed fist with a broadsword in it.
Old August 14, 2003, 09:10   #116
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Scotland Finbar? Why?
Who knows? Very odd. Maybe England didn't want to play two here.
Old August 15, 2003, 03:53   #117
Andydog
Emperor

Quote:
In fact, I must petition Dan and Markos for a special Havak smilie - a chainmailed fist with a broadsword in it.
how about a special Havak grin? they'd be bits of pork pie in his teeth and a pint of bitter frothing over his head.

Any thoughts on this weekends betting margin? Sure we may have a stronger forward pack but I do think it will be much tougher than Sydney - it will be similar to last week's match in Dunedin. The Aussies will work their arses off to starve the back three of the pill and the dewy night conditions (with a chance of rain) will again restrict scintillating backline moves.

NZ by 9.

[Edit: Forgot to put a wink after the first sentence. Just wanted to make sure poor old Havak knows I'm only pulling his tits!]

Last edited by Andydog; August 15, 2003 at 17:17.
Old August 15, 2003, 04:06   #118
Havak
King

Quote:
Sorry, we finished the leftovers tonight.
Darn it! I’m not a breakfast person but that would have done nicely right now.

Quote:
Come in spinner, as the saying goes.
Which reminds me – the captaincy is fitting Vaughan like Humility fits an Aussie cricketer – he scored a huge 1 in the first innings of the third test. Butcher got a century and strangely Nasser resumes this morning on 108 in an almost respectable total of 296-3.

Quote:
Now I get it. You obviously prefer the Beeb.
Auntie Beeb = free to air
Murdoch’s Sky = subscription (and most of this props up it’s stupid 1 Billion pound soccer deal – and I HATE soccer).

Quote:
except the travel time would make it nearly impossible.
Good point – it’s easy to forget how far apart you all are.

Quote:
I agree. The Boks have at least one team too many, possibly two.
Two I would say. Plus I think the Kiwis have one too many – and I’m with the Kiwis on the fact that I don’t think Australia can possible field a 4th quality franchise. After all there aren’t three decent front row forwards in the entire country.

Quote:
I assume he's out with his hydroponic set up at the moment.
Very quiet isn’t he? And with the two legger between England and France only a fortnight away too.

Quote:
In fact, I must petition Dan and Markos for a special Havak smilie - a chainmailed fist with a broadsword in it.
That would be nice.

It’s all deliberate of course – I like to keep thing light hearted and non too serious. I’ll drop the odd bit of thoughtful serious bait in just to keep Finbar happy.

I just hope you remember should one of your sides ever return to being number 1 in the world (as unlikely as that is) the supreme humility with which I have behaved whilst England have reigned unchallenged over the Rugby world?

(that was my MikeH impersonation – any good?)

Quote:
Who knows? Very odd. Maybe England didn't want to play two here.
I think we got caught out be signing to the two Kiwi games first to be honest – but Scotland are certainly a waste of time for the Wallabies at the moment. Ask Ireland back – Fester (Woodsy) is fit again as it O’Gara – they might recreate last Novembers form instead of this June’s abject surrender.

Margins gents? Based on the ABs form and the last fixture it has to be 21 to the Aussies?
Old August 15, 2003, 04:09   #119
Frozzy
Emperor

Old August 15, 2003, 04:21   #120
Frozzy
Emperor

Guess what started today? Air New Zealand NPC!

Half time:

Auckland 3 - 6 Otago.

Otago are favourites for the NPC this year as, surprise, they have no ABs!