Old August 5, 2003, 20:26   #1
Taniwha
Settler

Local Time: 06:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Noob question re: Upgrades
I just cant seem to get the hang of the workshop/upgrades/prototypes thing. I can build "Super Fusion Fungicdal formers" but when I try to upgrade all my lowly basic formers to the newer model it says it can't do it.

Any tips for a Workshop noob?
Old August 5, 2003, 21:10   #2
Petek
lifer
Prince

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
One possible explanation: You cannot upgrade to a different chassis. It's likely that your basic formers used an infantry chassis. If the "Super Fusion Fungicdal formers" use a rover chassis, no upgrade is possible. You would have to design another former based on an infantry chassis. you then should be able to upgrade.
Old August 5, 2003, 22:53   #3
Taniwha
Settler

Yes you are correct. My original formers are using infantry 1, and the new ones are using rover 2.

Thanks.
Old August 6, 2003, 12:39   #4
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 23:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Vet question: I think SMAC was in the stores at the beginning of 1999. SMACX came out a couple years later. How does one manage to be a newbie at this point? Were you lucky enough to pick up the game from a delete bin?
Old August 6, 2003, 22:40   #5
Taniwha
Settler

Well

I've managed to wean myself off MMORPG's recently, I played Asheron's Call for 2 years then Dark Age of Camelot for 2 years. Anyone who has played an MMORPG knows that when you play those you dont have time to play ANY other game.

I was a big Civ fan and SMAC sat dormant for 4 years.
Old August 9, 2003, 15:40   #6
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 02:57
Another thing you want to be careful about is a slight bug with Workshop upgrades.

If you tell a single unit to upgrade, that exhausts its moves for the rest of the turn.

If you make a universal upgrade via the workshop, your units still retain all their moves for the rest of their turn. That can be very useful in tight combat situations when you want an attack force to attack this turn, but you have to make them upgrade first.

However, a bug exists with aircraft. If you decide to change aircraft this way, make sure that your planes are either in a base, or have their FULL movement remaining. If you upgrade your planes to a greater reactor, you'll get two extra move squares. This is utterly disastrous if your planes have already moved because the computer will NOT GIVE THEM an extra turn to get back to base. It will just give you two extra moves to get to a base or crash and burn.

This has destroyed entire squadrons of my air force before now and I tell you this to spare you the embarrassment of losing your bombers to a computer glitch. Multiplayer games are also unintentionally hilarious when this happens./
Old August 9, 2003, 23:36   #7
VoidEvils
Settler

That is a hilarious bug.

And I'm a n00b to SMAC, as I just got a copy afew days ago. For the most part, I've just been playing console games and the AOE series throughout my life.
Old August 10, 2003, 06:42   #8
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 01:57
Quote:
Originally posted by VoidEvils
... For the most part, I've just been playing console games and the AOE series throughout my life.
I wouldn't admit that, even were it true!
Old August 12, 2003, 12:07   #9
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Welcome to the promised land of computer gaming. You have finally crossed the wilderness and reached a game overflowing with milk and honey.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old August 12, 2003, 13:22   #10
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 02:57
Quote:
Originally posted by RedFred
Vet question: I think SMAC was in the stores at the beginning of 1999. SMACX came out a couple years later. How does one manage to be a newbie at this point? Were you lucky enough to pick up the game from a delete bin?
SMAC is widely available in a shovelware version for about $10 US. (SMAX is not ) Thats how i got my copy, about 5 months ago. So there is still a source of SMAC newbies (at least here in the States)