Old August 6, 2003, 06:27   #1
madosca
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:58
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Civ3 Ptw
When decreasing shield production of a city in order to delay production of a city improvm. (for example in order to swap to forbidden palace after the palace has moved) I noticed that if the population decreases the shield production returns to the maximum.
Not only it looks like in returning to the maximum (compatible withe the decreased population) it also recoups ALL the shields 'unpurposedly 'wasted' in previous turns.
Example:
CityA is the capital producing Sistine Chapel (2 turns)
CityB is producing Palace (5 turns)
In CityA I delay sistine chapel to 9 turns so as to swap to forbidden palace after the palace has been done in CityB.
When I am at 1 turn from Palace in CityB I am also at 5 turns from sist Chap in City A.
At this point City B does the Palace, Population of CityA decreases and immediately completes Sistin chapel.

The Main point is: IS IT NORMAL THAT A DECREASE IN POP MAKES YOU RECUPERATE ALL THE SHIELDS-DELAY OBTAIN IN THE PREVIOUS 4 TURNS?
tHANK YOU.
Old August 6, 2003, 06:31   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've never noticed this...you might be on to something Madosca.
Old August 6, 2003, 08:32   #3
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 08:58
No, it's probably the palace that is sold for X shilds once it's finnished in the new location
Old August 6, 2003, 08:53   #4
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ah, that would make sense. I didn't know that you can get X number of shields back from your old palace - since I have never moved my palace before.
Old August 6, 2003, 11:45   #5
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 02:58
You don't get shields back from moving the palace.

When population in CityA decreased, your governor assigned the remaining citizens to work different tiles, and that was enough to build the Sistine Chapel.

Here's how it might have gone:
CityA can produce 12 shields per turn at its current population, and needs 17 shields (2 turns) to complete the Sistine Chapel.

You reassign the citizens of CityA so that it produces 2 shields per turn (9 turns to completion).

After 4 turns, CityA has produced 8 shields, and needs 9 more shields to complete the Sistine Chapel. But at this point (turn 5) the population decreased, so the citizens were automatically reassigned to produce more shields (and to stop the city from starving). Since there are only 9 shields left, and the city was producing 12 shields before, the Wonder is completed.

This happens because food production and citizen growth is calculated before city shield production.
Old August 6, 2003, 13:11   #6
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 08:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich
Ah, that would make sense. I didn't know that you can get X number of shields back from your old palace - since I have never moved my palace before.
I've never moved mine either, and I thought it might be something like that, not that I knew it would be(and as proven I was wrong)
Old August 7, 2003, 06:05   #7
madosca
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:58
Thank you Alexman.
What you state clarifies my doubt.
Especially eliminates the wired situation in which pop decrease makes automatically recouperate (any) unpourposedly shields lost in the past. It only puts back the city in the best shield production situation.

Have a good day.