Old August 6, 2003, 09:44   #1
Menlas
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Revealing the map during modern times
Hi there,

Do you know if there's a way to reveal a part of the map (or the whole map) , by cancelling the fog of war for example ?
I mean, it's quite strange we cannot even see the map of our allies (or even enemies) during the modern age... As soon as you discover the Satellites tech, wouldn't it be logic to reveal the whole map, assuming you have spy satellites ? I miss CtP with its Globesat and spyplanes
So, is there a way, in the editor for example, to do it ?

Thanks
Old August 6, 2003, 09:52   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Actually, this ability will be incorporated in the release of Civ3 Conquests - discovering Satellites will cancel out the fog of war.
Old August 6, 2003, 10:02   #3
Menlas
Chieftain

So, basically I'll have to buy the XP to get that... sounds like Microsoft stategy

Thanks
Old August 6, 2003, 10:38   #4
Vlado
Chieftain

Hmmm, watching every single unit move on the map... Hmmm... Maybe I'll just buy this paint and watch that dry instead...
Old August 6, 2003, 12:25   #5
David Murray
Prince

Local Time: 06:59
I only remember reading that Satellites in C3C will make the whole map explored, not permanently visible. Of course, it would be much better if the whole map was permanently visible!
Old August 6, 2003, 12:47   #6
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

Quote:
Hmmm, watching every single unit move on the map... Hmmm... Maybe I'll just buy this paint and watch that dry instead...
There is a wonder in CTP2 which allows you to see everything happening on the map. Turns out what the AI does the most is move in circles going nowhere. Quite literally.
Old August 6, 2003, 13:51   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 08:59
hi ,

well they should have a small military wonder that lets you see all the movements in lets say a 9 X 9 area , this should increase on the map size , for a 362 X 362 it should be something like 18 X 18 or so , .....

ones every so many turns you should be able to let your spy center to take a look at that square and you should see everything that happens for two turns , .....

have a nice day
Old August 6, 2003, 21:26   #8
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 01:59
Steal map
Old August 7, 2003, 01:09   #9
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 00:59
not just in cpt2 does the ai go in circles... in civ3have you seen the ai move units on its own territory? it does the same with fast units on roads. just atch the knights go round and round and round... NEVER build an outpost on a mountain near ai territory!
Old August 7, 2003, 03:08   #10
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by zorbop
not just in cpt2 does the ai go in circles... in civ3have you seen the ai move units on its own territory? it does the same with fast units on roads. just atch the knights go round and round and round... NEVER build an outpost on a mountain near ai territory!
hi ,

well this is supposed to be fixed now , .....

but it would be nice to see the AI build an outpost or airfield ones in a while , .....

have a nice day
Old August 7, 2003, 09:35   #11
David Murray
Prince

In Civilization II, I think the whole map became revealed when one person research space flight, or something. Anyway, it would say: 'Astronauts bring back pictures of earth from space'. It's been awhile but I don't remember any particular problems with looping in civ 2
Old August 7, 2003, 12:58   #12
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Uncovering the map with 'satellites' was useless in civ2 and if thats all it does, it will be useless in conquests too.

As panag suggested there could be a small wonder with satellites that allows for look down intel on a 3x3 piece of land. If you made satellites a unit then they could be moved (and destroyed by the use of nuclear weapons) Maybe they'll have time to include these ideas. Panag dont you have a direct line to them
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old August 7, 2003, 13:20   #13
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
Uncovering the map with 'satellites' was useless in civ2 and if thats all it does, it will be useless in conquests too.

As panag suggested there could be a small wonder with satellites that allows for look down intel on a 3x3 piece of land. If you made satellites a unit then they could be moved (and destroyed by the use of nuclear weapons) Maybe they'll have time to include these ideas. Panag dont you have a direct line to them
hi ,

well a long , long time ago the idea came up in a long chat with firaxis , panag , Mike , Gramphos and two or three others where there , the idea was based on C&C tibsun , firestorm , ....

how the building - improvement is going to work still remains a bit of a mystery , ...... even the beta tester are not fully sure what the final is going to be , ......

have a nice day

P.S. ; the direct line is one crate of beer for some info or ideas , ......
Old August 7, 2003, 13:42   #14
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 09:59
It's a big pain in the butt when you have to watch 350 AI units move. As if Civ 3 turns aren't slow enough already.
Old August 7, 2003, 13:55   #15
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
It's a big pain in the butt when you have to watch 350 AI units move. As if Civ 3 turns aren't slow enough already.

hi ,

well when working with that square ( gps - sat ) you could just not use it till you want to , or just use it at sea or your own land , .....

, why not think a bit further with this , they should include two types of " views " , one lets say 6X6 area that shows all the units ( high detail ) and since radar can see true a city , so should gps - sat do , and one 12X12 area pic that lets say shows all the wheel or track units ( low detail ) , no foot soldiers , .....

Firaxis , .....

have a great day

P.S. faster turns ? , get more ram , ......
Old August 8, 2003, 06:40   #16
David Murray
Prince

Here's an even better idea - make the whole map permanently visible (i.e. updated every turn, no fog of war) but include an option to turn off enemy unit animations! So that you just see enemy units stationary when it's your turn, but not them moving when it's not your turn. Revolutionary I tell you (even if I say so myself) - REVOLUTIONARY!!!
Old August 8, 2003, 08:03   #17
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by David Murray
Here's an even better idea - make the whole map permanently visible (i.e. updated every turn, no fog of war) but include an option to turn off enemy unit animations! So that you just see enemy units stationary when it's your turn, but not them moving when it's not your turn. Revolutionary I tell you (even if I say so myself) - REVOLUTIONARY!!!
Aaahhh, the smell of sarcasm.
Old August 8, 2003, 14:29   #18
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 09:59
Panag, no way.

And as for the speed of turns, late-game turns on Huge maps with 16 civs aren't too fast even with uber computers. On slower comps you can't play till the Middle Ages, on middle-of-the-road comps, it's screwed as Industrial begins.
Old August 9, 2003, 11:58   #19
Flight
Warlord

pld dave tbh

u can just get one of the many cheaty programs available and show yourself the map

for educational purposes only of course
Old August 9, 2003, 17:37   #20
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by zorbop
That can be shut off now though, with patch 1.27f. You add a command line in the game's INI file, I forget what now, and the AI will no longer patroll. I like that, it will make the turns much shorter now.
Old August 9, 2003, 18:14   #21
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 02:59
That does sound good.
Old August 10, 2003, 06:43   #22
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Panag, no way.

And as for the speed of turns, late-game turns on Huge maps with 16 civs aren't too fast even with uber computers. On slower comps you can't play till the Middle Ages, on middle-of-the-road comps, it's screwed as Industrial begins.

hi ,

what " no way " , no way that you are going to buy me that beer , .......; , oh well , ......

---------------------------------------------------------------

if you would only know Solver , .....

and get a faster comp

have a nice day
Old August 10, 2003, 09:37   #23
SpencerH
Emperor

That patrolling was how the AI always found the 'hidden' land units we added to our mods. They just bumped into them.
Old August 10, 2003, 11:10   #24
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
That patrolling was how the AI always found the 'hidden' land units we added to our mods. They just bumped into them.

hi ,

would this then mean that the AI cant see all troops unless he has seen them , ........

btw , " waypoints " and set lines of patrol for the human player the way like C&C would be great , .......

have a nice day
Old August 10, 2003, 18:36   #25
SpencerH
Emperor

Yeah I guess it does. I added a land submarine 'assasin' unit at one point with the idea that it could skulk around and pick off workers or injured units. Instead, what happened was that the units were OK as long as they were in non-developed land, but the instant they moved onto a road they were attacked. Our surmise at the time was that the AI was finding them through their constant unit movement.
Old August 10, 2003, 19:03   #26
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Roads are dangerous, aren't they?

Speaking of AI patrols, the human player ought to get patrols also. For one thing, any square that has an RR in it ought to have vision.
Old August 10, 2003, 19:10   #27
Hagbart
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Removing the fog of war with satts sounds strange. I don't want to see every unit in the world move around. But you can turn see enemy units off i guess, but then there wouldn't be much good about not having the fog of war.

The new iPod nano: nano
Old August 11, 2003, 06:54   #28
Menlas
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Hagbart
Removing the fog of war with satts sounds strange. I don't want to see every unit in the world move around. But you can turn see enemy units off i guess, but then there wouldn't be much good about not having the fog of war.

Well, why not having the possibility to buy satellites then. Not really an unit, but something which allows to see a part of the map...a 16*16 square for example.
Old August 11, 2003, 07:43   #29
Vlado
Chieftain

And so we get back to the first posts in this thread...
Old August 11, 2003, 12:37   #30
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hagbart
hi ,

FOW should stay , even with sats , for a number of things , ofetn the sat aint in the right orbit , pollution , weather , etc , .....

as far as RR and removing the fog of war , no , unless a unit has been there , ......

we dont want to make it to easy , ......

have a nice day