Old August 6, 2003, 12:22   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 00:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Tabejin Times: Steak Dinner 8/1
The day started much like any other day in Buffet.

Working the fields and bearing yet another rash of insults as they were flung at me from my fellow Tabejin.

"Diet? And you call yourself a Tabejin?"

"Look at you, you're wasting away!"

"How can you enjoy food when you refuse to eat?"

I've heard them all before, and will again I am sure. Besides, whoever calls 308 lbs wasting away has some serious issues. And, not gorging does not make for less enjoyment I have found.

Soon it came time for dinner. Having lost 12 lbs, I was in the mood to celebrate a bit. My wife sat down and prepared the kids their meal of chicken nuggets that Rhothaerill had become famous for, and I went out to seek a proper meal.

First on the stop was GodKings market. The finest selection of foods from the field to be had. Much to my dismay, though, they had already sold out of the sweet corn that was in season, and one of my favorites. Instead, I had to settle for some marbled cross between sweet corn and yellow corn. GodKing, though assured me I would find it to my liking, and sent me out into his fields to pick my own.

I was 6 when I first entered the fields. I still remember picking beans down what seemed an endless row for $0.10 a pound. It seemed like allot of cash for a six year old. That summer, I walked away with an impressive $80 that I used to purchase my own bicycle. Used, from the local swap meet. A nice 10 speed 'mountain' bike. This was put to good use the following years as I returned each year to the fields, learning to pick everything imaginable, but especially corn.

I've seen people tear open the ears looking for a good one. It annoys me to no end. This actually ruins the corn, drying it out. Picking straight from the field off of the stalks is the only way to go. I know a good ear of corn by it's feel. This one too old, that one too young...there's a good one, oh no, it has a worm...No need to ruin the corn by tearing it open.

With a half dozen ears in tow, it was time to go and visit good old mrmitchell at the bakery. Ah, the smell of fresh crossaints as are his specialty. However, I was in the mood for some good old fashioned dinner rolls. I am a sucker for rolls in general, especially 'hard' rolls. As such, as I left the bakery I knew that I would be perfectly satisfied with what I had already, but decided to go and visit Rhothaerill at his meat shop.

Rothaerill had been trying out just about any kind of meat you could imagine. Famous for his Chicken, I was in the mood to try something new. He suggested something he called 'steak'. Specifically a New York Steak. Now, what steak was or for that matter what New York was I had no idea, but was happy to take his word and be adventurous this evening.

Now what would a decent meal be without a desert, though. So off I was to The Carouser, Aidun's Inn. While his assortment of ales was something to behold, I was in the mood for something a bit different. Upon his suggestion, I left with an interesting mix of a frozen raspberry desert he called sherbet, and a sparkling soda with a lemon flavor.

Preparation is at least half the joy of food. As I was preparing the corn I had to resist the temptation of eating it raw. Oh sure, folks like corn on the cobb, but few know the sweet taste of it raw. Perhaps an acquired taste from my days working the fields where lunch was anything you wanted out of the field and a drink from the ditch. Still, cooked was where we were going tonight, so into the pot to boil with a touch of sugar added to the water.

I am a big fan of spices. However, wanting to taste this new meat, I resisted the urge to spice it up and as it was grilling, I only added a little season salt and some fresh ground black pepper.

As the smell from the grill aroused neighbors to peak over the fence and savor the aroma, I prepared a spread for the rolls by mixing a small bit of the sherbet into some butter, allowing the sherbet to melt and the butter to soften.

As the steaks aproached the desired color, the table was prepared and into the wine glasses I poured the soda and then added a scoop of the sherbet into each glass.

Timed perfectly as the kids fell asleep, we enjoyed a pleasant meal, followed by a pleasant evening.

FYI, I really did work a vegetable farm from the time I was 6, lying about my age to work and buying my first bicycle, and in later years my own school clothes as my dad was out of work often.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2003, 13:14   #2
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 02:59

Now I'm hungry ....
Old August 6, 2003, 13:52   #3
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

I think we need a hungry smiley

Nice stuff! (haha)
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Panzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2003, 23:21   #4
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:59
Before & After photos ??
Old August 7, 2003, 09:03   #5
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 00:59
You know, that's not a bad idea...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
UnOrthOdOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2003, 17:47   #6
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I had already posted this once.....

Looks like a feasting smiley to me!
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2003, 09:55   #7
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

a turkey that replentishes itself!!! I've got to get me one of those!
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Panzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote