Old August 6, 2003, 21:57   #1
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 01:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
HELP: Crashes with added units.
OK, when ever I start a game (with a mod) and try to change production or goto one of the adiveos(sp?) it crashes with a "Civilization3x has made a error" window come up, and I have to restart the computer when that happens, to restart the game, another (but less important) problem, when ever the unit (2 out of 4 do this, and I don't know why,) comes on the civiopeida list to read about it, it crashes (the same way as the 1st 2 problems)

So, what the problem and am I an idiot?
Old August 6, 2003, 23:36   #2
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:00
I can't help you about the big crash (we'd need a precise description of the error message to hope helping you methinks), but I think I can help you about the civilopedia error.
The explanation is a tad long, but I explained the whole process of adding a unit properly, since I don't know where you went wrong. There are some parts of the explanation that you may skip, because you probably know about them already (the trick is, I don't know what these are )

Adding a unit requires much precision:

- the name of a unit must be exactly the same as the name of its folder, and of its .ini file. For example, let's say you are adding a "Cataphract", then your repertory for the unit must be called "Cataphract" and its .ini file must be called "Cataphract.ini". I think it's case sensitive.

- in the editor, when you tweak the stats of your Cataphract, there is also a Civilopedia field. Spontaneously, you'd think the Civilopedia field is unimportant, and you'll be tempted to leave it empty, or to use some convenient Civilopedia link (for example, your Cataphract unit would link to the pedia entry for the knight). Well, it is wrong. The pedia entry is hugely important for your new unit to display correctly. In our example, the pedia entry must be PRTO_Cataphract

- That's why you must edit "Civilopedia.txt" and "Pediaicons.txt". Before doing this, I'll explain a bit about the folders for specific scenario (skip this phase if you already know about them).
I assume you are making a specific mod or scenario. Let's say it's called "Byzantium.bix". Every specific file it uses, that is not found in the regular Civ3 game, must be within its own "scenario folder". In the editor, you tell the name of this scenario folder in the "scenario properties" window, in the "Scenario Search folders" field.
In our example, let's say you write "Byzantium" in that field.

You must now create a "Byzantium" folder within the folder where your scenario is located. Probably, this will be \CivilizationIII\CIV3PTW\Scenarios\Byzantium
All your modded or added stuff will have to be somewhere in this new folder. New units, modified city graphics, modified Civilopedia, alternative leaderheads, you name it... All of this stuff will have to be in the right place however, so that Civ3 can find them.
You'll have to imitate the structure of the normal Civ3 to have correct folders. Your added units will have to be in \Byzantium\Art\Units. Your modified Civilopedia will have to be in \Byzantium\Text.

- What you must do in the Civilopedia.txt:
Copy the regular Civilopedia.txt and Pediaicons.txt in Byzantium\Text.
In the Civilopedia.txt, you must must add an entry for your new unit (in our example, the Cataphract). You'll see entries for normal units. Add your entry between two other unit entries. Your entry for the Cataphract may look like this:
Quote:
#PRTO_Cataphract
^
^
^The Cataphract is Byzantium's heavy cavalry.
You could add more fluff (it'll display in the Civilopedia), but such a minimal entry does the job as well.

- What you must do in the Pediaicons.txt:
You must add two entries. The first one is rather unimportant, that's the picture of your unit in the Civilopedia. The second is essential, that's the animation your unit will actually use.
In this file, there are many entries like #ICON_PRTO_Yadayadayada. Between two of them, add an entry for the Cataphract. It may look like this:
Quote:
#ICON_PRTO_Cataphract
art\civilopedia\icons\units\15knightlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\15knightsmall.pcx
. Notice I used the icons of the knight, because this si actually unimportant to gameplay. However, if your unit comes with icons for the Civilopedia, go ahead and use them

Now for the Krux of the problem (at last ! ). You must add an entry which will tell the game what animation to use for your new unit.
Near the bottom end of the Pediaicons.txt, you'll see many #ANIMNAME_PRTO_Yadayadayada. You must add an entry for your Cataphract again.
Quote:
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Cataphract
Cataphract
The name of the animation must be strictly identical with the name of your folder with the Cataphract graphics, as well as with the .ini file within it.

That's it ! your added unit should now work properly. Please notice that I have used the example of a Cataphract unit in a general Byzantium scenario as examples only. You can give any name you want to your scenario names, unit names and Pedia entries, like "123john321" or "guyhpg" if you want. The only thing is to remain consistent with the spelling.

Hope it'll help
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2003, 11:50   #3
mrboo123
King

Still not working, and I don't knwo why, EVERYTHING IS THE SAME! And about the avdios(sp?), I know the last 3 work, the amry one dones't, and didn't get to the others, and didn't try the civpodeia yet... and yet EVERYTHING work before the patch... I don't know, if you want, where the files (the txt, the ini, and the .bix)
Attached Files:
File Type: zip help.zip (196.8 KB, 1 views)
Old August 8, 2003, 02:15   #4
Condorswarm
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:00
Which patch are you talking about? If the one you are talking about is the "PTW US v1.27f" patch, then that patch is not exactly brilliant for the UK version.
Condorswarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2003, 12:49   #5
mrboo123
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Condorswarm
Which patch are you talking about? If the one you are talking about is the "PTW US v1.27f" patch, then that patch is not exactly brilliant for the UK version.
I don't have the uk game, I have the us game
Old August 9, 2003, 02:25   #6
Condorswarm
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:00
That solves that problem then.

I am stuck, if I get any inspiration for solving this problem, i'll let you know.
Condorswarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2003, 12:59   #7
mrboo123
King

UPDATE: Can't build untis in normal game! (but beside that, everything works in the normal game...)
Old August 15, 2003, 04:15   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 09:00
Quote:
Originally posted by 123john321
UPDATE: Can't build untis in normal game! (but beside that, everything works in the normal game...)
Make sure your new units are available to every Civ. I'm not sure they are by default.
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote