Old August 7, 2003, 12:32   #1
SIV
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:02
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Tech Race
I started in an isolated Island (hate this...the editor even managed to put me on a small paninusula at the tip, away from the center), so I went for map making and the GL. I managed to build it only to find all the AI's (all 5 of them) together (as always the Americans are twice as large as anyone else, including me...).

3 of them were scientific and one had the other GL (library), so they were far ahead of me.
Luckily ny Wrold Maps were worth something and I got about 5 techs with them and jumped to the middle ages, but they all got monotheism (and maybe even theolagy and beyond).
I have nothing to sell anymore, except for GPT.

So my question is should I pay for tech only to boost the AI research. or should I try to learn myself?
(regent level, can't upload save - unpatched)
Old August 7, 2003, 13:06   #2
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 02:02
On regent as a republic or democracy, you should be able to catch up with and out-research the others civs, providing you have sufficient resources for a good number of cities/pop.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old August 7, 2003, 13:18   #3
SIV
Chieftain

Actually, by looking at my misrable island I can tell it won't have saltpepper, coal, and rubber (probebly)...
I guess I'm just paranoic becuase of my first regent game - also isolated...out-researched only in modern times (after an invasion) by steeling and almost lost...
Old August 7, 2003, 13:23   #4
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 03:02
Hi Spencer -- Shaka still awaits a resumed match!

Let me take the opposite viewpoint. From a position where you are behind, if you select civs that are not the tech leader and buy tech, you can catch up more rapidly. Doing it this way keeps the leader from gaining on the pack. France and Korea, by the way, seem to be the Wal-Mart price leaders in the tech market.

I view the tech race as like a bicycle race over flat ground. It's very hard to get and maintain a lead until the industrial era and "drafting" behind the tech leader is so easy that it allows you to focus resources on military, happiness, and money -- marketplaces and banks.
Old August 7, 2003, 14:27   #5
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I'm hoping to try again after 1.27 is out since they fixed some more bugs Otherwise I'll wait for conquests before starting any more PBEM.

Buying techs is certainly fine so long as the AI will deal with you. If it happens that the AI takes a dislike to you and wont trade, and you havent built up a research infrastucture, then it can be trouble.

SIV it sounds like you're doing fine if you pulled out a come from behind win in your first regent game, especially if you had a poor start position.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old August 7, 2003, 19:45   #6
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 03:02
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Follow jshelr's drafting advice (starting with the weakest AI civs) and you'll be fine.

Oh, also... can we "techstortion"?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 7, 2003, 20:06   #7
WarpStorm
King

Of course you could just go to war before these resources become critical. You might even get some techs out of the losers as they sue for peace.
Old August 10, 2003, 07:35   #8
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 09:02
hi ,

as always SIV , do you have a save or screenshot , ......

have a nice day
Old August 10, 2003, 12:18   #9
SIV
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
hi ,

as always SIV , do you have a save or screenshot , ......

have a nice day

Too late, couldn't help it and played on...doing not bad at all now.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old August 11, 2003, 01:09   #10
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 23:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
I view the tech race as like a bicycle race over flat ground. It's very hard to get and maintain a lead until the industrial era and "drafting" behind the tech leader is so easy that it allows you to focus resources on military, happiness, and money -- marketplaces and banks.
That's a very good analogy.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old August 11, 2003, 09:52   #11
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 12:32
I concur
Old August 11, 2003, 12:45   #12
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 23:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Lord Davinator can you see Everest from Kathmandu?
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau