Old August 7, 2003, 18:26   #1
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 02:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Science Ministry Update
Mr. President and Fellow Citizens --

The Science Ministry is not posting a poll at this time, since Science Minister Emeritus Sparrowhawk's most recent one still has valid results to pursue. In that vote, our most desired future goals were...

1. (67%) Explosives
2. (17%) Tactics
3. (8%) Fundamentalism, Banana (tie)
4. (0%) Railroad, others

We are currently researching Sanitation. Once that is complete, our optimal choice of techs would be Invention (since it's a pre-req for all of the above except Banana).

If Invention is not offered, we should choose Gunpowder (another prereq for Explosives and Tactics).

The Ministry stands foursquare behind the traditional Imperium Family Values of growth, progress, and death to all other civs. That, plus the hiring of many einsteins in enough size 5 cities to bring our tech rate down.

If this is not compatible with other ongoing plans of the Imperium, the Ministry would plead for the building of many diplomats, to establish embassies (so that we may trade for needed techs) and to steal the technologies of our enemies.

Peace Out.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old August 7, 2003, 23:04   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 19:03
Encouraging exploration units to find and continue to pop huts as well, I hope?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old August 8, 2003, 05:58   #3
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:03
Euhm we already have invention...from the 740AD scroll's.

Shade
Old August 8, 2003, 06:25   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

OK - scratch the research from huts option. Although getting cash from huts is good too!

Old August 8, 2003, 07:48   #5
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:03
gold from huts may be the only god we get for a while

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old August 8, 2003, 09:54   #6
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Popping huts is not a question for the Science Minister.

Missed the Invention thing.

So that means our tech preference is Gunpowder.
If not a vailable, our second choice is Metallurgy. (Both are prereqs for both Explosives and Tactics.

Beyond that, keep moving down the path to Explosives. If that blocks, work toward Tactics (leadership, riflemen).

The Ministry smugly takes credit for all of Sparrowhawk's hard work.

Old August 8, 2003, 09:54   #7
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 09:03
The good thing is the amount of gold usualy increases after Inv.
Old August 8, 2003, 10:17   #8
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit

So that means our tech preference is Gunpowder.
If not a vailable, our second choice is Metallurgy. (Both are prereqs for both Explosives and Tactics.
Um.... might one humbly point out an inaccuracy in the Mighty Science Minister's calculations? Gunpowder is a pre-req for Metallurgy. We can't choose Metallurgy if Gunpowder doesn't become an option. We have little choice in techs ATM.

Gunpowder (leads to everything - Metallurgy, eventually Conscription and Fundy, Explosives...)
Magnetism (SO little need for this)
Steam Engine, or
Democracy (no need at all)

So basically from the previous poll result and utility, I guess we go for Gunpowder first or Steam Engine if that is not an option.

Old August 8, 2003, 10:47   #9
-Jrabbit
Deity

Hey, I post from work T-1) and so can't open the game. Too lazy to search Poly for the tech tree.

Per Sparrowhawk's post:
Quote:
Prerequisites that we still need before explosives: Invention, Gunpowder, Metalurgy

Prerequisites that we still need before Tactics:
Invention, Gunpowder, Metallurgy, Leadership, Democracy, Conscription
Just trying to get my report posted without having to open the game.

Thanks for clarifying, MWIA.

Old August 8, 2003, 10:55   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Hey, I can;t find my Civ2 CD right now, so I just went back to the latest report thread. All of two clicks and 20s of scrolling, I think.

Otherwise I'm just following your mantra, -Jrabbit

Quote:
post your stupid, worthless opinion and get (+1) for it

Old August 8, 2003, 11:01   #11
-Jrabbit
Deity

It would be *wrong* not to respond to that post.

Old August 8, 2003, 13:49   #12
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

If we can find some huts near the Americans, we should get some NONE Units (or gold). Either would be very helpful.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old August 8, 2003, 15:22   #13
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

With regards to Democracy, it is a prerequisite for Conscription and Fundamentalism, so we will need the tech at some point.

We should also consider gifting Republic to our enemies so that they will seek scientific development, and not military power.
Old August 11, 2003, 22:30   #14
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
The Ministry smugly takes credit for all of Sparrowhawk's hard work.
Just doing my job, as I am still doing as a citizen.

As for the next tech thing, it seems that Gunpowder is must as a next tech, as MrWhereItsAt pointed out above, it eventually leads to most of what we need.

/me crosses fingers that Gunpowder is available when we finally complete Sanitation.

As for my "hard work", I had promised at the beginning of my term to increase the rate at which we were discovering new technologies. If memory serves that rate was 35 turns per tech at the start of my term. From what I understand it is now at 27 turns per tech. It doesn't seem as though my "hard work" paid off for much. It was difficult to keep busy as Science Minister with a tech rate so low (and indeed, I stepped on a few toes keeping busy ), and if our current Science Minister is successful in leading us to a respectable rate of research, he will receive much praise, but this is no easy task in this world.

One question for those more learned then I am...though our current rate of income is pathetic and suggesting too much in the way of Improvements doesn't make sense, how much would it help if we built Cathedrals in those cities where happiness is a significant problem? (though not useful for very long, they will still benefit when we get to fundamentalism by providing tithes). Since we don't have happiness wonders or caravans to make full use of luxuries, perhaps improvements (cathedrals, and colleseums if necessary) are required to maintain order?

Just a thought (or two....or three )

/me Citizen of the Apolyton Imperium
Old August 11, 2003, 23:05   #15
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Sounds good to me, Sparrowhawk. The only difficulty I could see is the shields necessary for building such a Cathedral. We gotta have the population to build the Cathedral, which we need to allow the population to grow to the point where we can build the Cathedral...

Hopefully we get enough money from huts to buy one or two to hurry them along.

Old August 12, 2003, 00:06   #16
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Local Time: 01:03
Cathedrals are very expensive, and with our current science regiment we wouldn't have the money to build them or the upkeep to maintain them. As for science, if we xin most cities then every turn we are xinning the science rate drops to 12 turns. Of course, this is only when we xin. Hopefully the increase in number of cities capable of xinning will help boost it further and help to pay for more improvements.
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game