Old August 8, 2003, 10:16   #61
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 08:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
"A nation or State."

That's a narrow definition, but fine. So the EU is no country then. Horrible.

"Why don't we summarize it here rather than giving out homework assignments while I'm on summer break, Teach?"

Cause I'm not interested in starting with Adam and Eve.

"Outmoded by what?"

The nation state is not what it used to be a 100 years ago. You mean what replaces it? Look up to firefly's post.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old August 8, 2003, 10:29   #62
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 02:03
Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
That's a narrow definition, but fine.
How would you define "country"?
Quote:
Cause I'm not interested in starting with Adam and Eve.
I'm not interested in you telling me the whole book but telling someone the answers that refute a position you assume they have taken are in a book without going into any other detail is intellectually lazy. It's not even like I'm asking that much. You suggested I read it. You should be able to tell me why.
Old August 8, 2003, 10:33   #63
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

DinoDoc, I dont want to interfere, but I am under the impression that HershOstropoler believes that any effort is hopeless.
Old August 8, 2003, 10:57   #64
HershOstropoler
Settler

"How would you define "country"?"

It's a pretty meaningless term. Just interesting that some aspects of european integration are often dubbed that way, though usually with "land": euroland, schengenland.

"You suggested I read it. You should be able to tell me why."

Quote:
Book Description
This is a book about the transformation of sovereignty in the United Kingdom and the European Union, about the transition from 'sovereign states' to 'post-sovereign states', about devolution and nationalism and the future of the British union.

Synopsis
This is a controversial work of applied legal theory, addressing urgent contemporary questions about law and the State, about the character of the UK as a state, and about the juridical character of the European Union in its relationship with the member states of the Union. It is also a contribution to political theory in its discussion of the rule of law, the theory of sovereignty, and the principles of liberal nationalism. It combines a statement and application of the "institutional theory of law" with a balanced and carefully argued version of contemporary Scottish nationalism.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Although scotland plays a very marginal role in that book...
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old August 8, 2003, 17:28   #65
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 03:03
you need time travel to play Europa universalis? d*amn, just when i thought all i needed was a new computer.
Old August 8, 2003, 17:31   #66
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 02:03
Quote:
Originally posted by lightblue
Exactly why wouldn't the Balkan states join? AFAIK Slovenia and Croatia already have candidate status (not sure about Bosnia or Macedonia).
Because Serbs, Bosnians, Croats, won't join the same organization.
Old August 8, 2003, 17:45   #67
lightblue
Warlord

Pfft if the French, Germans and Brits can be in the same organisation with their past histories, i don't see the problem with the Balkan. Anyway, money is usually a good incentive to get rid of your fervent nationalism and xenophobia.
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old August 8, 2003, 17:47   #68
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 07:03
on a similar note I think the US should massively decentralize. give power back to the states.
Old August 8, 2003, 22:49   #69
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 07:03
"england will never surrender to brussels"

Gotta luv the spirit o these boys...

However good 'ol england can say goodbye to the scotish, welch and portugese...they'll sell out england and belly up to the EU. German troops in Scotland! Spaniards sneaking in from Welshlund!

Ok, portugese doesn't really belong.