Old August 8, 2003, 00:28   #31
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 07:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Wrong thread
Old August 8, 2003, 00:29   #32
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Um....What just happend?
Old August 8, 2003, 00:30   #33
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 00:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Um....What just happend?
A fit of anti-social behavior?

EDIT: ...in the wrong thread x2...

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.
Old August 8, 2003, 00:56   #34
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Local Time: 03:04
According to that software, I read 380 words/minute when I'm not trying for speed, and 870wpm when I'm skimming, both with 100% comprehension. I really don't like skimming that way, but I do it a lot on technical stuff.

And that is possibly the worst looking software I've seen since Win3.11.
Old August 8, 2003, 00:59   #35
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by dv8ed
According to that software, I read 380 words/minute when I'm not trying for speed, and 870wpm when I'm skimming, both with 100% comprehension. I really don't like skimming that way, but I do it a lot on technical stuff.

And that is possibly the worst looking software I've seen since Win3.11.
For me when Im skimming, I read at about 700....So I have a bit of practicing to do, but I'm proud of the fact that I can read faster than most people i know
Old August 8, 2003, 01:56   #36
Neutrino
Settler

Local Time: 02:04
I usually finish 400-page paperbacks in a few hours. I can only read slowly when the material is complicated (i.e. mathematical/logical proofs and some scientific articles).
Old August 8, 2003, 02:22   #37
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

I very rarely read just one book at a time, so it's kind of silly for me to gage how fast I read. I seriously read 4-5 at a time, it's just what I enjoy the most. Of those, usually one will stand out, and will be completed first, and of those, one or maybe two will go unfinished because I decide it sucks.
Albert Speer
Old August 8, 2003, 03:15   #38
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I read Fellowship of the Ring in half a day once. Guess it just depends on the book, but usually a 500 page book will take me a couple days.

I read dialogue as fast as it would be spoken, so I'm not a fast reader typically.

Really haven't been reading at all lately.
Old August 8, 2003, 03:48   #39
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
I very rarely read just one book at a time, so it's kind of silly for me to gage how fast I read. I seriously read 4-5 at a time, it's just what I enjoy the most. Of those, usually one will stand out, and will be completed first, and of those, one or maybe two will go unfinished because I decide it sucks.
I do the same thing. The exception is on the rare occasions where I am reading non-fiction. Then I will often knock it out over a day or two. I like to read things like encyclapedias on the toilet. I leave it in there, and read an article or two while I do my business. It can also stand in for toilet paper in an emergency, especially if it isn't very good.
Old August 8, 2003, 06:14   #40
geeslaka
Prince

@Sikander
I used to read encyclopedias when I was 7.

I took that reading test Tass linked to and got 247 wpm with 100% comprehension reading at normal speed. Unfortunately, my memory is too good for me to retry while skimming and their software is windbloze only.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old August 8, 2003, 07:21   #41
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by geeslaka
@Sikander
I used to read encyclopedias when I was 7.
I read the World Book encyclopedia between 1st and 2nd grade. Of course I skipped articles about things that I couldn't understand even if I had read the entire article, but it was a noble and rewarding effort nonetheless. Now the encyclopedias I read are made of sterner stuff. One of my recent faves was an encyclopedia of military history (all of it) by era and region. Interesting. I also read etymological dictionaries and that sort of thing. It's interesting and the articles are nice and short.
Old August 8, 2003, 07:32   #42
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 09:04
As I don´t have time to read books all the day long and also often work before the Computer and do other things, it maybe2 - 3 days for Books I really like.

btw.
I love it to read the Books while bathing in a tub and I often can spend an hour in the tub reading the book
Old August 8, 2003, 07:47   #43
geeslaka
Prince

I value my books too much to risk them like that.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old August 8, 2003, 08:00   #44
Sikander
King

I do wish there was a safe way to read in the tub, perhaps a large lcd screen that could blow up the text so that I could see it while laying back without my glasses.
Old August 8, 2003, 09:57   #45
muxec
Prince

Local Time: 10:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
Using the base of a 1000 paged book...

If I REALLY like it: 5 hours.

I I like it: 8 hours.

If I moderately like it: 10 hours.

If I'm neutral: A day.

If I moderately dislike it: 3 days. (I know, big jump)

If I dislike it: 5 days.

If I HATE it: 7 days.

Luckily, I like reading most books.
My stats are same.
Old August 8, 2003, 10:06   #46
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

For some pure excellent fiction work, 1 day. That is, I get into my sofa with the book at, say, 9 or 10 in the evening, and then read it for as long as it takes. So far, every Stephen Book has been finished that way, in one sitting, except for The Stand. Every book by Strugacky brotehrs in one sitting, too.

Usually, though, not more than 3 days for a good book, though I do it in two if I have the time.
Old August 8, 2003, 10:06   #47
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Depends whether i buy the french or the english version. I find that it takes me a lot more time in english because i have to re-read some parts to get the tone or the rythm that the author is trying to convey.

In french, i'd say about a day for a good book, novel type, 400 pages approx.
Old August 8, 2003, 10:11   #48
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Yup, language's also a factor. Books in English take a bit longer for me, although I do now try to read English/American authors in English, when possible.
Old August 8, 2003, 10:16   #49
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 08:04
When I really like it, as fast as I can. Its for me perfectly comparable to the *one more turn syndrom* of the civ players. That is why when I hear people complain that their children are addicted to computer games, and that excludes them from the real life, I say that it is not worse than reading. Are not we reading often to go out of the real life?
Old August 8, 2003, 10:26   #50
Richelieu
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
Its for me perfectly comparable to the *one more turn syndrom* of the civ players.
Yep!

Next thing you know it's 3:45 AM...
Old August 8, 2003, 11:34   #51
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

If I really like a book, I will become obsessed with it and will only put it down if I pass out. I will bring it to work and sneakily read it at my desk. I will have puffy, blurry eyes by the end. But that sucker won't last more than a day or two.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old August 8, 2003, 12:08   #52
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sikander
I do wish there was a safe way to read in the tub, perhaps a large lcd screen that could blow up the text so that I could see it while laying back without my glasses.

What's a not safe way to read in the tub? Other than maybe face-down...I've been reading in the bathtub since I was 9 or 10 and never had any problems with getting books wet or drowning or anything like that.
Old August 8, 2003, 12:29   #53
Solver
lifer
Deity

Quote:
If I really like a book, I will become obsessed with it and will only put it down if I pass out. I will bring it to work and sneakily read it at my desk. I will have puffy, blurry eyes by the end. But that sucker won't last more than a day or two.
No need to bring to work, though. Staying up all night, you can read all books except the real big ones (Harry Potter ).
Old August 8, 2003, 12:51   #54
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Fast as possible. Harry Potter 5 was read in 7 1/2 hours, with some break time.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old August 8, 2003, 12:53   #55
Richelieu
King

What do you guys see in Harry Potter? I couldn't bring myself to read more than 3 chapters.
It's like a John Grisham novel: there's no point!
Old August 8, 2003, 12:54   #56
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I read appx. 600 words a minute (tested back in the twelth grade, probably slower now), so even dull books don't last too long... if I want to plow through them at least.

I have been known to blow off work/school/etc just to finish a book... but usually, I blow off sleep. Reading a new novel until 4:00am and waking up 5 hours later to go at it again is not uncommon for me - but, again, it is less common as I get older.
Old August 8, 2003, 13:53   #57
Koyaanisqatsi
King

Heh. I do that too. It causes problems...

Hm. Does that mean I'm addicted to books?
Old August 8, 2003, 14:38   #58
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 02:04
Quote:
Originally posted by PLATO

Nothing will ever replace the experience of a vicarious afternoon and the thrill of turning the next page.
Old August 8, 2003, 17:19   #59
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Nothing will ever replace the experience of a vicarious afternoon and the thrill of turning the next page.
Pah. Primitives.

/me joins the club of 7 years old encyclopedia readers.

I finish 500 page books in 1.5-2 days if they're interesting. If they're not, it may take weeks.
Old August 8, 2003, 18:25   #60
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

960 wpm with 55% comprehension. I guess I rushed through it.

I tend to read before sleep (often instead of sleep:P) and on mass transit. Otherwise, I don't do much reading during the day book-wise.