Old June 12, 2004, 23:04   #152
Vince278
King

Local Time: 07:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus Rex
Catastrophies
Such as what? Asteriods? Ice Age? Plague? Nuclear Terrorism? A second Bush administration ( )?
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2004, 23:12   #153
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 00:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278

Such as what? Asteriods? Ice Age? Plague? Nuclear Terrorism? A second Bush administration ( )?

Get your corny political jokes out of here
Tassadar500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2004, 23:24   #154
Vince278
King

Sorry.

The rest of the question still stands...
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
Old June 12, 2004, 23:28   #155
Tassadar500
Emperor

Exactly! Bow down to the person who has slightly more posts than you

By catastrophies, I think he just meant large "disasters" like those implemented in Civ III already.
Old June 13, 2004, 00:31   #156
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
Exactly! Bow down to the person who has slightly more posts than you

By catastrophies, I think he just meant large "disasters" like those implemented in Civ III already.
Slightly? Quality is better than quantity.

An asteroid or an ice age would make things interesting though.
Old June 13, 2004, 05:20   #157
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 09:11
an asteroid? ... and in the end only 8 lone settlers survive and all technology is lost?

that's already programmed: it's called restart
Old June 13, 2004, 11:05   #158
Tassadar500
Emperor

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't. Picture this:

You're playing this great game of Civ IV. Your land is great, and your doing very well militarily. All of a sudden, an ice age hits, and all of the land goes into tundra
Old June 14, 2004, 10:03   #159
Vince278
King

Not necessarily all. I would envision just the upper latitudes going to tundra. The equatorial regions would be more or less untouched. Some ocean may also recede.
Instead of a planet-killer asteroid you could have a smaller one bringing on localized devastation and nuclear-winter type effects. Plague could be handled similar to CtP2. Nuclear terrorism would be more random.
Old June 14, 2004, 14:44   #160
Addled Platypus
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMCall to Power PBEMCivilization IV PBEMBtS Tri-League
Emperor

disaters - Catastrophies

same thing
Old June 24, 2004, 14:15   #161
Lord_Davinator
PtWDG Roleplay
Warlord

Local Time: 12:41
are you sure you're gona have enough keys to move units?
Lord_Davinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2004, 23:27   #162
Vince278
King

Why not just a mouse?
Old June 29, 2004, 15:24   #163
Addled Platypus
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMCall to Power PBEMCivilization IV PBEMBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Could there be a option/patch to choose between
squares or hexes?
Old June 29, 2004, 16:12   #164
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:11
Voted squares as that's what I'm familiar with (never played a game that used hexes) and I think that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

But if for some odd reason CIV moved to hexes I'm sure I'd be able to adapt just fine.
ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2004, 16:19   #165
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

definitely hexes

ooh and hexes are winning the poll, *tsk* *tsk* firaxis

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2004, 17:36   #166
Tassadar500
Emperor

What is the advantage(s) of hexagons?
Old June 29, 2004, 17:44   #167
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Hexagons do not distort distance in the same way as tiles do. Using a regular square grid, movement along the diagonals actually represents a larger distance on the map, and in an isometric grid, the same occurs along the cardinal directions (that's the reason distance is counted as 1 along the diagonals and 1.5 along the cardinal directions in Civ3).

Hexes have equal distance in all 6 directions. That is one of the main reasons why pracitcally every wargame uses Hexes.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2004, 18:07   #168
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:11
I forget, which is better for path finding?

I'm pretty sure it's hexes, but I could be wrong. Though I do lean toward squares, better pathfinding in hexes (IIRC) would make me learn the other way.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2004, 02:51   #169
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus Rex
Could there be a option/patch to choose between
squares or hexes?
A programming nightmare.
Old June 30, 2004, 03:04   #170
Drachasor
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278

A programming nightmare.
Harder on the graphic artists than the programmers, I think. I don't think it would be too hard to adapt the AI and pathfinding to hexes and squares, if you knew you needed that from the get-go.

But making 3D art for both hexes and squares? That's a lot of work. Of couse, depending on how the engine is, it might be hard on the programmers too. If it is just something you can zoom in on and twirl around, then that wouldn't be too hard to switch around from a programming standpoint.

Not worth the effort though.

Hexes seem the best, as long as there is no movement along edges (and there shouldn't be, you should have to do it manually by going through two squares).

-Drachasor
Drachasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2004, 04:40   #171
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 03:11
4 sides does mess with things a bit, but Civ is simply square-tile based. No way it'll change and it's not that big of a deal anyways. Civ ain't a wargame, nor should it be. It's simply a empire-building game which puts an over-emphasis on warfare, a flaw IMO.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2004, 04:45   #172
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:11
If it's not that big a deal, why not change it?
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2004, 04:48   #173
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 03:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
If it's not that big a deal, why not change it?
Because if you like change for the sake of change you're a communist!
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2004, 07:25   #174
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 17:11
commuists never chage , capitalists always changing
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2004, 11:07   #175
Max Sinister
Warlord

It's true, folks: Programming a game where you could coose between Hexes and squares is a nightmare. Not only for pathfinding, but everywhere when you need to know which tile is next to which other tile, you'd need two different algorithms. Generating the world, city radius, and let's not even talk about the fact that you'd need two different AIs. Trust me, I've done a bit of AI programming myself (it's my hobby).
Max Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2004, 15:20   #176
Leland
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Sinister
It's true, folks: Programming a game where you could coose between Hexes and squares is a nightmare. Not only for pathfinding, but everywhere when you need to know which tile is next to which other tile, you'd need two different algorithms. Generating the world, city radius, and let's not even talk about the fact that you'd need two different AIs. Trust me, I've done a bit of AI programming myself (it's my hobby).
I disagree. If you do everything from scratch knowing that you have to support both hexes and square, then all you need is an abstraction that covers these two topologies (for example, abstracting the map as a graph with arbitrary nodes and edges) and none of the algorithms written on top of this abstraction need to know anything about the type of the map. Graphics probably need some dedicated code and content for each system though.

However, I think this is a moot point because having an option for two kinds of tiles is a game design nightmare. In a civ-like game, the map topology is a rather fundamental feature of the gameplay and balancing the game for both wouldn't be worth it because you might as well make two different games. It's a little bit like having an fps with an option to turn it into a 2d platformer.
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2004, 15:29   #177
Drachasor
Prince

As I said, it is an unavoidable nightmare for the Graphics Department in ANY case. You can have abstractions for the code, but you can't do that with most of the graphics, especially if you want the game to look good and the game is in 3D. Two sets of 3D tile sets, cities, terrain improvements, and perhaps even units. That is almost doubling the work they need to do.

-Drachasor
Old June 30, 2004, 17:33   #178
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

units would stay the same. optionally, they could be redered in 4 more angles.
0°, 45°, 90°, 135°, 180°, 225°, 270°, 315° for tetragons (squares/diamonds) and
0°, 60°, 120°, 180°, 240°, 300° for hexagonal tiles.

as you see, one may just replace 45°/60° (and other couples) with something inbetween to save space.

OR use a 3D engine.... hey wait... they may even do that
Old June 30, 2004, 17:43   #179
Drachasor
Prince

Well, there is the issue of how well the units look on the tiles. I suppose this could be handled with scaleable (size) units, perhaps, though you might need something more than that. It isn't clear that a unit that looks good on a square tile would take up his space as well on a hexagonal one.

-Drachasor
Old June 30, 2004, 23:41   #180
Vince278
King

If they are going 3D it would be interesting to see if Line-of-Sight becomes an issue.