Old August 12, 2003, 01:00   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Can someone explain the college credit system?
Yes this seems embarrassing. I probably come accross like AS with my lack of knowledge of the world.

But I have never wanted to go to college before, and I'm seriously considering that now. Not that I really need college, I already know I'm the smartest human alive. . But I need more challenge in my life. And it would look good to have a degree.

Though I must admit the prices of credits look kind of scary .

And I have never really understood the college credit system. Colleges and Universities are like alien worlds to me.

But how many credits does it take for an associates degree? Or does that depend? And Bachelor's? and Masters?

What should I know about getting degrees? I admit I'm clueless in this aspect of education. I blame my shitty public schools for failing to prepare me for college. Seriously, high school was worthless. I can get straight A's, yet still not learn anything about the real world. I didn't learn **** until I turned 18, and lived out in the real world.
Old August 12, 2003, 01:03   #2
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yes I have been looking at websites online, but you would be suprised how useless web pages can be about explaining things
Old August 12, 2003, 01:18   #3
Timexwatch
King

Local Time: 03:15
Colleges use "Credits" as a way of quantifying how many classes you've taken and how those fullfill certain degree requirements.

For example, I'm required to take 120 credits to graduate, with an average of 15 credits a semester. I can take regular classes in my major for 3 credits. I can take longer, more indepth classes for 4 credits (i.e. An art class with 7 hours+ of in class studio time a week).

Coming in with college credit in high school means that I can take fewer classes or can take more elective courses. I came in with ~10 credits, so that means I can take 3 more classes that I want instead of the usual intro classes.

If you were to go into college, I'm sure that at least some of your Naval/Army certs would transfer as credits and eliminate the need to take some classes. I bet you could probably pull off a Mechanical Engineering or Nuke Engineering Bachelor's Degree in relatively short order.

An Associates Degreee, IIRC, is about 60 credits/2 years of regular study. A Bachelor's degree is roughly 120 credits/4 years.

That's how it works with schools in the semester system. I'm not sure how it works on the trimester system.
Old August 12, 2003, 01:21   #4
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

so it would cost $60,000 to get a Bachelor's? my math seems off somewhere.
Old August 12, 2003, 01:46   #5
Koyaanisqatsi
King

At UM (in-state tuition for a state school, out of state is much higher) my major requires 120hrs at $157/hr...so, my tuition will be >$18000 when I'm done, not including the ~$900/semester in fees you have to pay even if you take only one class. Other majors require more or less (CS requires 136 here).

Out of state tuition comes to almost $60k for a degree ($447/hr + fees), so that doesn't seem unreasonable depending on where you're looking.
Old August 12, 2003, 01:51   #6
Timexwatch
King

Diss:

That depends on where you go, what sort of aid you get and how much schooling you need.

My bachelors will cost, with scholarship, about $112,000, $160,000 without it.
Old August 12, 2003, 02:38   #7
Rufus T. Firefly
King

One thing to know is that at some places, cost-per-credit goes down if you take more credits (more than 6, usually). Degrees thus tend to cost more for part-time than for full-time students.

But I'd check your math, or check your choice of schools. Am I correct in remembering that you live in Las Vegas? If so, you could go to UNLV for $85/credit, which is only $10,200 if you go full time. (There are also $60/semester in various fees, but that still comes in way below the numbers you're quoting.)
Old August 12, 2003, 03:53   #8
cinch
Warlord

Just for interest's sake, here's what I'll be paying, approximately:

$2,154 per semester, with 15 credits per semester, meaning about $143.60 per credit (that's Canadian, mind you... it's like Monopoly money). And then there's 200-and-some bucks worth of extra fees and charges.

It comes up to about $4800 per year, and it takes 4 years for a bachelor's, so it takes about CA$19,200 to attain a Bachelor of Arts (or Sciences) degree at the U of A.

Consider it, Diss...

Old August 12, 2003, 04:08   #9
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 07:15
yes, someone can.
Old August 12, 2003, 04:42   #10
tandeetaylor
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
UNLV is 76.50 per credit, CCSN is about half, I think. Plus they always add some silly fees.
Old August 12, 2003, 05:30   #11
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

~$150,000 for a Bachelor's degree? Holy crap. And we complain about high university costs in this country.
Old August 12, 2003, 05:58   #12
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 09:15
For us it's free! Finland's the best! Again!

- Paul Valery
Old August 12, 2003, 07:59   #13
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 10:15
those costs are mind boggling. It's free for me as well, the army is paying for me, but even for the general student, people pay 2200$ FOR YEAR! and you can get up to 70 percent of the cost by teaching students stuff like math, and sciences.

Mind boggling, really.
Old August 12, 2003, 09:29   #14
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 02:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Timexwatch
Diss:

That depends on where you go, what sort of aid you get and how much schooling you need.

My bachelors will cost, with scholarship, about $112,000, $160,000 without it.
Tell em what university though. At that price it isnt a state school.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old August 12, 2003, 09:33   #15
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by cinch
It comes up to about $4800 per year,
I'm paying about that much a semester. Of course that's in real money though.
Old August 12, 2003, 10:47   #16
Neutrino
Settler

I'm paying a little more than $2k per semester for tuition here at UT-Austin. Books bring the cost up to about 2.3-2.4k though.
Old August 12, 2003, 10:58   #17
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

I didn't know Uni's cost that much over there. I thought the most expensive in the US we about $25,000 per year, so about $100,000 for a 4 year course; and most a lot less. It's at times like this I'm glad to be British I pay ~£400 per year (about $650) and I get a loan of ~£4250 a year to help with living costs, at ~3% interest

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old August 12, 2003, 11:00   #18
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

And beer of course adds another large sum...
Old August 12, 2003, 11:08   #19
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I think Harvard and the other top schools are up close to 40K/yr now

EDIT I did a quick check and it looks more like 35K with housing.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Last edited by SpencerH; August 12, 2003 at 11:28.
Old August 12, 2003, 16:54   #20
Timexwatch
King

I go to "The George Washington University" in the center of Washington D.C., so you know it's going to be expensive. We are a metropolitan campus, so it's a bit more expensive than a standard campus.

I think we're at about $38,000 a year with tuition, room and board. It's considered a "second tier" school in comparison to the Ivy Leagues, but the undergrad programs for business and polisci are good (and so are the Medical and Law programs).
Old August 12, 2003, 17:03   #21
Myrddin
Warlord

A university in the UK would charge you £7000 (about $11500) per annum for fees for a 3 year undergraduate course (plus room and board)

Why not swim the pond?
Old August 12, 2003, 17:10   #22
Japher
Emperor

College credit is not worth figuring out (it's like the points on "Whose Line is it Anyway")... Just plan on at least 4 years of school (5 if your an engineer or like to party, 6 if your an engineer and like to party or love to party, 7 if you get stoned out of your mind everyday, 8 if your dumb enough to become a doctor).

Just Take enough courses to declare you at least "full time" whatever they mean by that (quarter system was 12 or 11, don't remember), which will equal to about 3-4 classes, with labs and/or discussions. Just keep taking classes until someone called a "guidance counciler" tells you that you need to work towards a "major" or until they give you a diploma. If they tell you to work towards a "major" they mean something to get a degree in... Yeah, I know, this was knews to me too...

If that is you; go get a copy of your transcripts at the registars office and a course catalog (generally available at the bookstore), look through these to see what degree you are closest to getting a degree in and then just start taking a lot of those classes.

Then you might get a degree..

Oh, yeah, you don't get more credit for taking a class twice unless you failed the first time... even if you like the class or the cute chick failed last semester.
Old August 12, 2003, 17:12   #23
Timexwatch
King

And go to school in Aberystwth with Spink? I think not

Going to school in DC provides an opportunity for experiencing politics and the federal government up close. It's essential for people like me whose degree (Political Science) is good for $20k a year unless you have connections.

In all seriousness, I'm considering going there for grad school so I don't dig myself deeper into debt.
Old August 12, 2003, 17:18   #24
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 08:15
In the civilised world higher education is payed for by the government
Old August 12, 2003, 17:27   #25
Timexwatch
King

I get subsidized Stafford Loans (Interest deferred until graduation, IIRC). That's the closest I get to government payouts.

You also forget that this is the U.S., and that our higher education system is #1
Old August 12, 2003, 17:43   #26
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Myrddin
A university in the UK would charge you £7000 (about $11500) per annum for fees for a 3 year undergraduate course (plus room and board)

Why not swim the pond?
Because that's more expensive than what I'm paying here.
Old August 12, 2003, 17:58   #27
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
We all know $6.95 buys a mansion in Mississippi..costs area bit higher elsewhere.

U Chicago cost me and my parents about 34,000 a year for four years, though in the end, with loans, grants, and since I finished earliere, it came out to less than 120k (160k sounds awfully high for a four year college). I owe the owe the gov. 20k, as do my parents.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old August 12, 2003, 18:00   #28
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
We all know $6.95 buys a mansion in Mississippi..costs area bit higher elsewhere.
Old August 13, 2003, 05:19   #29
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
College credit is not worth figuring out (it's like the points on "Whose Line is it Anyway")... Just plan on at least 4 years of school (5 if your an engineer or like to party, 6 if your an engineer and like to party or love to party, 7 if you get stoned out of your mind everyday, 8 if your dumb enough to become a doctor).

Just Take enough courses to declare you at least "full time" whatever they mean by that (quarter system was 12 or 11, don't remember), which will equal to about 3-4 classes, with labs and/or discussions. Just keep taking classes until someone called a "guidance counciler" tells you that you need to work towards a "major" or until they give you a diploma. If they tell you to work towards a "major" they mean something to get a degree in... Yeah, I know, this was knews to me too...

If that is you; go get a copy of your transcripts at the registars office and a course catalog (generally available at the bookstore), look through these to see what degree you are closest to getting a degree in and then just start taking a lot of those classes.

Then you might get a degree..

Oh, yeah, you don't get more credit for taking a class twice unless you failed the first time... even if you like the class or the cute chick failed last semester.
Spoken like someone who's spending his parents' money instead of his own...
Old August 13, 2003, 05:30   #30
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

But isn't Japher like 50 years old or something? Or have I got him confused with someone else?

/edit: His profile says he's late 20s.

Last edited by FrustratedPoet; August 13, 2003 at 05:37.