Old August 12, 2003, 04:34   #1
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 02:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why you should always READ feedback reviews on eBay...
I was actually considering bidding on this a few days ago, but noticed what products all the good reports were for, and decided to hold off a few days:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39486

First, look at the feedback reviews, at this point you'll have to scroll back a few pages to find the good ones.

Then, look at the seller's other items. All of them.

You'll see what I mean.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 12, 2003, 04:37   #2
tandeetaylor
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ick! Too much work.
Old August 12, 2003, 05:08   #3
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Well, that's just sad.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 12, 2003, 05:26   #4
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 09:15
Now, that is really strange.

Loook really like some people (Aussimike and others) want to hurt him without any reason and draw other into cancelling their auctions (and thereby also leaving negative or neutral remarks, without even giving him a chance)

Seems to be justified, that Aussiemike isn´t a registered user anymore (probably initiated by ebay)
Old August 12, 2003, 05:27   #5
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:15
So this guy has set up dozens of fake sales and is trying to sell thousands of dollars worth of fake stuff. Looks like a normal day on eBay to me.
Old August 12, 2003, 05:27   #6
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Did you see the eighteen pages of gold and platinum?
Old August 12, 2003, 05:32   #7
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Yep. From the looks of it the dude just robbed a coin museum or something.
Old August 12, 2003, 05:42   #8
Proteus_MST
King

Now, after seeing the auctions where he got good reviews I am very unsure.

Maybe the Fraud accusations could be right.

Every Auction where got good remarks seems o have highest Bids with less than 10 Dollar, many even less than 1 Dollar.

Fraud accusations start, when he set Items for auction, which got Bids with several hundred Dollars.

So maybe the accusations could be true.
Old August 12, 2003, 05:44   #9
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Yeah, why should I!?

*starts to read the post*

- Paul Valery
Old August 12, 2003, 05:44   #10
Proteus_MST
King

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
Yep. From the looks of it the dude just robbed a coin museum or something.
Or a Bank, as he also has Goldbars set up for auction
Old August 12, 2003, 05:56   #11
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:15
Quote:
Every Auction where got good remarks seems o have highest Bids with less than 10 Dollar, many even less than 1 Dollar.

Fraud accusations start, when he set Items for auction, which got Bids with several hundred Dollars.
Lets just say that I wouldn't bid on any items of his.
Old August 12, 2003, 05:58   #12
Proteus_MST
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Quote:

Lets just say that I wouldn't bid on any items of his.

Yep,
after seeing this pattern I also wouldn´t trust him too much
Old August 12, 2003, 14:07   #13
The Mad Monk
Emperor

It's still going on -- when (if ever) does eBay typically step in?
Old August 12, 2003, 14:20   #14
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Never. I bought a ripoff item from someone and pounded him on his review, along with about a hundred other people. Several of us notified ebay about it but we got a buyer beware type message.

I'm suprised anyone writes bad reviews anymore. Any time I bought something on ebay no one would post a review until after I did. The one time I put a neutral remark and explained I had to fight the guy to get shipping information, he comes back and gives me a negative review saying I lost his payment and refused to send him his item. Ebay is bullshit; I won't be going back.
Old August 12, 2003, 14:56   #15
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

If anyone has less than 98% favorable reviews, I don't even consider them, and 98% is pretty shaky.

Even then, if I don't already know the seller, I check for recent reviews of similar price range items.
Old August 12, 2003, 17:35   #16
Proteus_MST
King

With Expensive Items it seems to be advisable to use Escrow Services.

After all it gives you, as the Buyer added Security.

I´ve never bought any really expensive Items on eBay, but I´d take it for things I bought for more than 100 €
Old August 12, 2003, 17:53   #17
CyberGnu
King

I've had great experiences on Ebay. Got myself an IBM thinkpad worth ~$3500 for $2300, although there were some irregularities involved (first laptop sent was registered stolen, but it wasn't the sellers fault... the cops had ****ed up the police report. When it was discovered I managed to hold on to the stolen laptop until it was convenient for me to send it back, and they sent a new one within a few weeks).

I did go through quite a process before I managed to get a winning bid with a decent seller... I think I had five winning bids before I finally got a legit one. The first four wanted me to do stuff like sending money orders to Rumania, use a fake escrow service etc.

All in all: If you are a poor student with more time than money, it can be worth it. If you'd rather pay an extra 25% and avoid hassle, go retail.
Old August 13, 2003, 01:58   #18
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Looks like they shut him down.

He must have been offering $600,000 in coin.
Old August 13, 2003, 02:55   #19
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Seldon
I'm suprised anyone writes bad reviews anymore. Any time I bought something on ebay no one would post a review until after I did. The one time I put a neutral remark and explained I had to fight the guy to get shipping information, he comes back and gives me a negative review saying I lost his payment and refused to send him his item. Ebay is bullshit; I won't be going back.

The system is screwed up. Plus, people who have been there longer can afford to give negative feedbacks (because they have a sheer number of good feedbacks that it hardly makes a dent), but when your just starting out....1 negative feedback can bring you below 50 percent.

Old August 13, 2003, 03:12   #20
The Mad Monk
Emperor

A friend of mine who eBays a lot includes a form letter in with his payment, that basicly says he is trusting the seller by sending his payment first, and the seller should reciprocate by entering feedback when he recieves the payment.

He has feedback for all but a few of his transactions, and has had only one negative feedback, ever.
Old August 13, 2003, 03:43   #21
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

I just got two brand new Seagate Cheetah 73.4 Gig 10k RPM Ultra320 SCSI drives for half the best mail order or street prices.
Old August 13, 2003, 03:54   #22
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:15
Something looks very fishy here. I looked at the bidding history of some of the items Aussiemike completed about, and there was always this shohreh1970 (such as right here) who went nuts jacking up the bid. And he is a new user This seems to be just a DL or a collaborater.
Old August 13, 2003, 03:55   #23
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:15
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
I just got two brand new Seagate Cheetah 73.4 Gig 10k RPM Ultra320 SCSI drives for half the best mail order or street prices.
Yeah, you can get some bargain items or you can sell your stuff for a pretty penny, but you need to be careful.
Old August 13, 2003, 04:00   #24
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Yeah, I limit myself strictly to sellers who have a fairly extensive, no BS track record, because otherwise, you're pretty much SOL if anything goes wrong.