Old August 12, 2003, 06:01   #1
UnityScoutChopper
Warlord

Local Time: 08:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
-3 Growth: A warning if you're ever tempted
I recently discovered an undocumented (I think) "feature" of the Growth setting. When running -3 Growth (i.e. Aki or Sven running Green without Demo), YOUR BASES DO NOT GROW WHEN THEIR FOOD BOXES FILL. The boxes do fill up, albeit slowly, but when full, they just sit there.

I found this out the hard way once when for one reason or another I wanted to run Sven as something better than Simple, but couldn't or didn't want to run FM and needed more tech than I could get while running Planned. I was busy popping out colony pods when all of a sudden, a few turns after switching to Green, one base after another had "population too low" to pop out a pod... after a few turns of this problem growing rather than shrinking, I realized the horrible truth.

The moral of the story is: if you really need to run Green when playing Sven or Aki, balance it with Demo (or I suppose in some extremely exceptional cases with a GA or Creche in **EVERY** base whose food box might fill up before you raise your growth rating above -3). If you can't balance it with Demo, you don't need to run Green as bad as you think you do!

USC
Old August 12, 2003, 07:14   #2
mark13
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 07:15
I think it says 'no population growth' in the box at the bottom-right of the SE screen. Either way, it's nasty though...
Old August 12, 2003, 12:05   #3
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

I'm not even going to try that, no way. Negative growth = very nasty.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old August 12, 2003, 18:07   #4
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 04:15
i thought -3 was "Near Zero" growth
Old August 12, 2003, 18:21   #5
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 09:15
Well, the excess nutrients are still accumulated in the nutrient box. So there's still some growth. It's just that the base doesn't grow in size when the nutrient box is full.
Old August 12, 2003, 22:36   #6
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

So your population doesn't increase. Call me crazy, but from over here, that looks like no growth.
Old August 13, 2003, 15:47   #7
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

-2 -20% population growth
-3 ZERO POPULATION GROWTH

even the manual tries to persuade people not to do this.
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old August 13, 2003, 17:37   #8
Chaos Theory
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Gaians
Emperor

Local Time: 06:15
Of course, in vanilla SMAC, it's not possible to reach -3 growth.
Old August 14, 2003, 11:18   #9
UnityScoutChopper
Warlord

Quote:
-2 -20% population growth
-3 ZERO POPULATION GROWTH

even the manual tries to persuade people not to do this.
But if like me you're too lazy to pick up the manual and you just read the in-game text....

USC
Old August 14, 2003, 18:21   #10
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Of course, as I realised last night, once you get the Kloning Vats, its not really an issue is it?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old August 14, 2003, 20:01   #11
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Jamski, do you have a German version of SMAC?
Old August 16, 2003, 04:40   #12
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 02:15
If you have -3 GROWTH and Cloning Vats, which wins?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old August 16, 2003, 11:29   #13
AMD4EVER
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Chieftain

Cloning Vats
Old August 16, 2003, 13:44   #14
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Hmm. think I 'll (as Sven) will avoid Green unless I have demo and something else.
Old August 16, 2003, 16:32   #15
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 02:15
Even with Vanilla SMAC, you can reach -3 Growth by making a custom fraction that has a -1 growth penalty.

The major conquences of your SE choices are listed on the bottom right of the Social Engerning Screen. If your Growth is -3, on that line you'll see ZERO POPULATION GROWTH in all caps.
Old August 18, 2003, 06:10   #16
UnityScoutChopper
Warlord

Quote:
The major conquences of your SE choices are listed on the bottom right of the Social Engerning Screen. If your Growth is -3, on that line you'll see ZERO POPULATION GROWTH in all caps.
Jon, it's been a few weeks since that fateful day, but AFAICR, it unfortunately read "NEAR-ZERO POPULATION GROWTH", which tricked me into thinking the desciption was mere flavor (like "rampant inefficiency") and the effect was just a 30% larger nut box.

Silly me.

USC
Old August 18, 2003, 21:04   #17
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Unity, if you want to play with pirates in an MP game, come join us Pirates in tHe Acdg(2) Ac democracy game. eh, leave the -3 behind
Old August 19, 2003, 11:24   #18
Maniac

Or you could join the Consciousness. They have the ability to get -3 growth as well.
Old August 24, 2003, 23:16   #19
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 03:15
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Quote:
Originally posted by UnityScoutChopper:
Jon, it's been a few weeks since that fateful day, but AFAICR, it unfortunately read "NEAR-ZERO POPULATION GROWTH", which tricked me into thinking the desciption was mere flavor (like "rampant inefficiency") and the effect was just a 30% larger nut box.
Silly me.
USC
This is interesting. I don't have SMAX, but I have the alpha.txt and alphax.txt from the Planetary Pack. Looking at them and comparing them to the alpha.txt on the SMAC-only CD, the -30% Growth text is indeed different:
  • SMAC-only: "-3, ZERO POPULATION GROWTH"
  • PP, both files: "-3, NEAR-ZERO POPULATION GROWTH"