Old August 13, 2003, 04:06   #1
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Court rules against RIAA
Quote:
A Massachusetts court has sided with two universities, ruling that the RIAA cannot run a centralized subpoena sweatshop from Washington D.C. and expect to attack all 50 states. The court has called on the RIAA to file subpoenas against file-traders in their respective jurisdictions.
Quote:
"Today's ruling requires the recording industry to file subpoenas where it alleges that copyright infringement occurs, rather than blanketing the country from one court in D.C.," said Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Staff Attorney Wendy Seltzer, in a statement. "The court ruling confirms that due process applies to Internet user privacy nationwide."
article

Excellent news.
Old August 13, 2003, 04:18   #2
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 00:18
I don't know the number of districts but that should drain those bastards of manpower like nothing else.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old August 13, 2003, 05:05   #3
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 02:18
There are ~90 Court districts plus assorted territorial districts.

All this ruling really means is that the lawyers will be getting a lot of airplane time as they fly from one court district to the next. It may slow them down some, but they've got the bucks to get the manpower needed to do this. A minor setback for the RIAA only
Old August 13, 2003, 05:22   #4
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:18
The way we win this is by draining the RIAA cash reserves. This is a very good thing.
Old August 13, 2003, 06:58   #5
Dr. A. Cula
Warlord

Local Time: 10:18
You're wrong. They'll just increase the CD prices and blame it on recession or something and for some reason people will buy that.
Old August 13, 2003, 07:14   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 18:18
Some will, more will not.
Old August 13, 2003, 08:03   #7
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

The RIAA are fighting a losing battle. They're just too stupid to understand the point. When companies like the baby-bells start suing them in order to protect their interests you know its all over but the crying (although that may still take some time to finish).
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old August 13, 2003, 09:57   #8
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. A. Cula
You're wrong. They'll just increase the CD prices and blame it on recession or something and for some reason people will buy that.
Fewer and fewer people will buy the crap, ending up in a downward spiral.
Old August 13, 2003, 10:03   #9
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Fewer and fewer people will buy the crap, ending up in a downward spiral.
Old August 13, 2003, 10:32   #10
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

It is an igsignificant ruling, other than the embaressment to the attornies. Their large multistate law firms with have attornies admitted to practice in most of the federal jusidictions, and they willl just mail or fax the applications.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old August 13, 2003, 12:09   #11
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 01:18
Well...every ruling counts, even the smallest ones.

Unfortunately, however, with the massive markup already on CDs, this should not hurt their earnings for a while.
Old August 13, 2003, 12:12   #12
Oerdin
Deity

They'll just refile in the new district and instead of having one lawyer file they'll just farm it out to a different lawyer in each district. They'll still have one lawyer per case and they're costs probably won't go up very much.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 13, 2003, 12:20   #13
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:18
Quote:
Originally posted by SpencerH
The RIAA are fighting a losing battle. They're just too stupid to understand the point.
Actually, they are legally required to fight in order to protect their copyrights. They have, however, gone about this very stupidly. They should have responded by lowering prices, diversifying their offerings, and embracing the technology in a way like iTunes.

Prices now are as expensive as DVDs. Forget it.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 13, 2003, 13:18   #14
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Since CDs of new recordings are a State-supported monopoly business they are already as high as the market will bear. Increasing prices will directly lead to decreasing sales, and decreasing profit. Especially when an alternative exists (the alternative that they're trying to shut down).

The fact is that the recording industry is getting poorer, plain and simple. Eventually they will start to run out of money. This is a step in the right direction.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 13, 2003, 13:19   #15
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Old August 13, 2003, 13:25   #16
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

It will be a great day when the recording industry gets run out of this country and moves to India, like most service industries are going these days. Stuff will start sounding better. Manufacturing to China, Services to India. Oil from the Middle East, Labor from Latin America. I'm not sure what people in the US will do when that day comes but I'm sure they'll figguh out something.
Old August 13, 2003, 13:28   #17
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
The way we win this is by draining the RIAA cash reserves. This is a very good thing.
And then J.Lo will donate the trifiling sum (to her anyways) of 2 million dollars to help keep the battle going, as will all the other artists who don't want their music being pirated. They aren't going anywhere.
Old August 13, 2003, 13:30   #18
KrazyHorse
Deity

They'll be running out of money too. That's the point. Overall sales are declining, legal costs are climbing, etc.

And some groups will figure out that the RIAA is actually ****ing them over, so they'll go it on their own.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 13, 2003, 13:33   #19
H Tower

wishful thinking IMO
Old August 13, 2003, 13:34   #20
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
And some groups will figure out that the RIAA is actually ****ing them over, so they'll go it on their own.
Not many. They'll see the successes of bands not with the RIAA vs. those that are with them and make the smart choice and join up. Most bands aren't going anywhere (hey, they saw how bad 'Pearl Jam' got beaten up when they tried to take on Ticketmaster).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old August 13, 2003, 13:36   #21
Oerdin
Deity

Don't hold your breath about them running out of money any time soon. You'll have died of old age before that time ever comes.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old August 13, 2003, 13:44   #22
KrazyHorse
Deity

If current trends continue they have a very limited horizon for useful actions. And more of the same-old, same-old is just digging them deeper.

They've got to figure out how to sell intellectual property in an age where intellectual property laws are easily and casually violated by the bulk of their major markets (i.e. teens and 20-somethings). Otherwise they lose money, and thus lose the capacity for serious legal manoeuvering. The answer will not be found in entrenching themselve to defend a losing business model.

Their current strategy is a frigging joke. So what if they shut down file-traders or file-trading networks once a year? They'll disrupt the flow for at best a couple of weeks....
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 13, 2003, 15:24   #23
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Their lobbyists have a stranglehold on the government. If they got close to going bankrupt, they'd probably even be able to wrangle "subsidies" out. The whole music industry right now, honestly, is just a big flaming pile of bullshit.
Old August 13, 2003, 15:26   #24
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
Since CDs of new recordings are a State-supported monopoly business they are already as high as the market will bear.
I would argue that they are higher than the market will bear, hence the 26% drop in sales over the past three years.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old August 13, 2003, 15:27   #25
KrazyHorse
Deity

They've already wrangled some out of the Canadian government. Companies, artists, etc. get money from each blank CD sold there.

*****. Somebody should tell them that people use more blank CDs to put games on, since a CD full of MP3s will generally contain 10-12 albums.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 13, 2003, 15:29   #26
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

I would argue that they are higher than the market will bear, hence the 26% drop in sales over the past three years.
I agree, but the market has recently been hit with competition of a sort. I'm not sure how much of their drop in sales is due to pirating and how much is due to people simply not listening to music at the prices they charge.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old August 13, 2003, 15:50   #27
mrmitchell
King

Quote:
I agree, but the market has recently been hit with competition of a sort. I'm not sure how much of their drop in sales is due to pirating and how much is due to people simply not listening to music at the prices they charge.
It's not piracy. IIRC they also released something like 30% less albums over the same period as the profits drop happened.

Besides, though, CDs ARE ridiculously expensive, and for a lot of people I know, that's the main issue.

You can go to Wal-Mart and get a crappy radio for five dollars, and listen to all the free music you want. Alternatively, you can download a bunch of mp3s, buy a crappy mp3 player for a hundred dollars, and listen to all the free music on demand that you want. Both of the solutions are better than stacking up tons of CDs that cost two or three times out of what they really should cost.
Old August 13, 2003, 15:54   #28
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by KrazyHorse
It's not unrelated. Given the current prices, people tend to overcome their reluctence to steal. Were prices at a more reasonable level, people would be more willing to forgo stealing music, however, because they've so alienated many consumers and created a market for file-sharing for so long, I expect it's unlikely they will ever recapture that market. Why should kids who've grown up on stealing music ever start purchasing it?
Old August 13, 2003, 17:43   #29
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

I only purchase from local bands because I like to support local industries and I know that all of the $15 I'm paying them goes straight back to them and their ability to make more good music.

For me the RIAA and its products symbolize all that is wrong and evil with the imperialistic Yanqui consumer-industrial complex. It is rare that individuals have a chance to fight the power like they can and have against the RIAA.

Old August 13, 2003, 20:33   #30
Lord Merciless
Warlord

I will begin to buy CDs once their prices drop below $4.