Old August 16, 2003, 11:45   #31
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 09:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
demos usually do show what the game is like UR

in FPS games i'd like to know how fast I can move, which sort of weapons I can use and how they feel, how the graphics are on my computer..

for RTS games I'd like to know the game pace and the feeling of the units first, for example C&C generals sucks hugely because the units are in general pretty slow and their movement is sluggish and bad overall (they bump into eachother, get stuck in cities etc so they get wasted easily if they are attacking; the AI doesn't seem to have that problem as it can command each unit independently)
Old August 16, 2003, 12:05   #32
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

In real life shops, guess I'm oldfashioned...

Carolus
Old August 16, 2003, 12:06   #33
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

But I buy a lot of books online...

Carolus
Old August 16, 2003, 22:00   #34
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 01:19
Buy games? please. K++ all the way!

ok, on the rare ocasion i will buy a game, but only ones that i think really look good and actually worth 40 bucks, like Civ. when i do buy, it is from circuit city.
Old August 17, 2003, 01:14   #35
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:19
It's Electronics Boutique or Future Shop for me. General purpose stores usually only carry bad games.

So what options have I got left to protect myself?

Asking people on Usenet. comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic folk tend to know whether a game's any good. I can make successful surgical purchases thanks to my being a regular there.
Old August 17, 2003, 01:24   #36
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 07:19
The only problem with buying games at Best Buy is you can't take them back - I would know, I work there. It's a good policy, but if I wasn't sure I'd like a game, I'd buy it somewhere else, even for a slightly higher cost (as long as you can return it there, naturally).

Of course, *I* get to return anything I want, so it really isn't an issue for me
Old August 17, 2003, 03:07   #37
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 00:19
I returned Risk2 to Best Buy because it didn't work on my computer.

I don't think they give you your money back. But I didn't even ask for my money back. I was happy to get store credit.
Old August 17, 2003, 04:44   #38
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 07:19
Technically, all that Best Buy is supposed to give you is an exchange for the exact same piece of software. If it didn't work on your computer, the theory goes, you should have either read the specs on the game box, or call tech support.
Old August 17, 2003, 10:42   #39
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolai
Taxfree shops isn't what they were... Now they are around as expensive as regular shops...
hi ,

depends on what airport you shop , .........

have a nice day
Old August 21, 2003, 20:21   #40
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 08:19
Strategic Plus as well for more obscure games or international versions before they're available in the UK. Otherwise GAME (formerly EB UK) - Good returns policy and quite a few strategy bargains as they're quite mass market in their outlook.
Old August 22, 2003, 09:38   #41
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus
demos are fine, but i make a lot of my purchases at bargain bins, and so theyre semi "impulse" purchases - I know im looking for a game, but I really dont know what specific title.

I suppose i could look at lots and lots of demos, and keep with all the games i might potentially be interested in, but with a dial up connection thats a real bother.
Old August 23, 2003, 12:45   #42
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 02:19
Local store bargain bin.

Railroad Tycoon for 10$ anyone?
Old August 24, 2003, 10:43   #43
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by lord of the mark
demos are fine, but i make a lot of my purchases at bargain bins, and so theyre semi "impulse" purchases - I know im looking for a game, but I really dont know what specific title.

I suppose i could look at lots and lots of demos, and keep with all the games i might potentially be interested in, but with a dial up connection thats a real bother.
hi ,

well have you ever thought about buying certain magazines that have disks with all the recent demo's on them , ........

have a nice day
Old August 24, 2003, 11:26   #44
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 04:19
Quote:
That pretty much sums up all my recent purchases. Things like "Desperados" for approx. U$ 5.00 or Fallout 2 for even less.
Old August 25, 2003, 08:10   #45
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus

in FPS games i'd like to know how fast I can move, which sort of weapons I can use and how they feel, how the graphics are on my computer..

for RTS games I'd like to know the game pace and the feeling of the units first, for example C&C generals sucks hugely because the units are in general pretty slow and their movement is sluggish and bad overall (they bump into eachother, get stuck in cities etc so they get wasted easily if they are attacking; the AI doesn't seem to have that problem as it can command each unit independently)

But this doesn't work in Tycoon games, which is the type of games I prefer... There's often not even a demo for Tycoon games...
And in Tycoon games one of the most important factors is "how much can you build", where the demos have "deleted" most of the possibilities, and says in the end of the game "Many more options, etc, etc, etc", while the truth is those options there's not in the demo, is not worth mentioning...
...and even if the demo is great, and the gameplay is great, there's one more factor they never mention: Can it be played in endless mode? If there's no endless mode, there's no way I'm going to buy it...

... and then there's the high risk in tycoon games: 90% of them are very poorly done... and you can't just "take a chance"... for a student, buying games are expensive, and here there's 0% chance to get a refund

The bottom line: There's a high risk of buying a bad product... it's not worth taking this risk...

Anyway, back to topic: I always buys the game at the local store, I'm not happy about buying online... Only HW is bought online...
Old August 25, 2003, 08:26   #46
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 08:19
Homework?
Old August 25, 2003, 09:32   #47
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

well have you ever thought about buying certain magazines that have disks with all the recent demo's on them , ........

have a nice day

of course since the games in the bargain bin are not recent games, that doesnt help much.
Old August 25, 2003, 09:33   #48
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

have a nice day
now if i could get a copy of PC Gamer with Demo disk from like 1999 or 2000, THAT would be terrific.
Old August 25, 2003, 10:16   #49
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Homework?
That too...

...but I ment to say HardWare
Old August 30, 2003, 06:16   #50
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 10:19
Well, generally I think the quality of games have dropped. I know, that gaming industry is suffering and in trouble now, except maybe EA games. Cutting down, and the worrying policy of hiring new folks straight from what ever university, or people with not enough experience.. so they can pay them less in salaries, and the vet coders etc have been in a place where they have to whore to be able to keep jobs. Meaning they'll drop their own salaries very much, very very much.

So all this is bad business IMO in long run. There are good games coming out all the time, but considering what it should be, I think the general quality has dropped so much, that I'm not just simply willing to buy many games. I used to actually buy almost all my games.
Now, there's so much crap there, that I don't know what to get. I don't have time to read all the gaming magazines, and I guess I've grown to be a demanding consumer when it comes to games. I just think many of them don't push hard enough to make better games.

I want all the factors of a good game, so that I'll actually take the time to play it and get excited about it. And that's what I want from a game, I want to be entertained and interested about it. I can think of better things to do, if the game fails to truly interest me. I can't afford to buy all the games that sounds good, because maybe 10% I actually really like. And you don't know what you get when you buy a game, until you play it. I don't have time to hunt them down and download trailers and betas when it comes to unknown games. I rather download the whole game and try it out.

But, I still buy the same amount of games, I just buy the ones that I really like. I know I don't have the moral highground here, but that's what I do and I don't feel bad about it. I buy the quality games that I feel like is worth the money. And the ones I download and feel they are not good games, then I don't play them! I'll delete them wihtin the same day I try it. Simple.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old August 30, 2003, 12:18   #51
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

now if i could get a copy of PC Gamer with Demo disk from like 1999 or 2000, THAT would be terrific.
hi ,

well search the net , .....

there are also firms who buy unsold mags and resell them in small bundles for the fraction of the price six months later , often those are sold to hospitals , doctors , waiting rooms in general , etc , .......

have a nice day