Old August 14, 2003, 13:58   #61
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Wow this is majorly different from the USA system, where you don't even know what you need to have to get into a certain university.

The USA system is massively convoluted and subjective. Exams are not based on what you learn in school. Grades are considered, though not just your final year. Then there is all sorts of other mishmosh and a ten page application. Not every college weighs the same criteria, in fact, there are hardly any that do.
Old August 14, 2003, 14:35   #62
cinch
Warlord

Well, I can definitely say that the U.K. system seems a lot more complicated than what we have here. Maybe that's a good thing... I have no idea.

All I know is, this is how it works here:

-you sleep your way through 12 years of elementary, junior, and senior high school
-you write "diploma" or departmental exams (there are no SATs) on: Mathematics, English, Social Studies, Biology, Chemistry, Physics (some people skip one of the sciences, they're not mandatory)
-these departmentals make up 50% of your Grade 12 mark (the other 50% coming from in-class tests and assignments)
-your accumulated mark is then calculated for each class and put on your transcript, which is used by universities to judge you

No offers (AABB) are given here. Heck, no one even uses letter grades at all, really.

The University of Alberta, which I'll be attending this fall, and which is about the 5th (roughly) best school in the country, has an entrance requirement of a cumulative average of 70% for both arts and science faculties. This cumulative average is made up using a little system (take one course from this list, one from that list, etc.) that usually bumps up your average a bit from what it would be if you took it from all classes.

All in all... It seems like it's a lot less hassle to get into Uni over here. Maybe it's just because Angleterre has such presitigious schools...

Ooh, another thing: I have a friend with an average that's high80s/low90s, and he had no problems getting into McGill (one of the best, most respected unis in the country; maybe THE best).

I don't know if anyone care to knew all that, or if it made any sense, but... there it is.
Old August 14, 2003, 15:43   #63
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 07:19
Quote:
Mathematics, English, Social Studies, Biology, Chemistry, Physics
What, no French?

I had to waste endless hours of my youth learning to translate between English and French (note well: not learning to speak French) in order to get into the U of Manitoba.
Old August 14, 2003, 16:06   #64
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 03:19
So where're you going to go drogue?
Albert Speer
Old August 14, 2003, 16:10   #65
cinch
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Triggs

What, no French?

I had to waste endless hours of my youth learning to translate between English and French (note well: not learning to speak French) in order to get into the U of Manitoba.
Nope, no French. There is no government-issued French departmental. There *is* a gov't-issued Francais departmental, but that is language arts for French-speakers, not just a second language class for Anglos.

The U of A language requirements are such: you have to have a 30-level language course OR Mathematics 30. I have both, so I'm safe.

But, theoretically, you could get into the Uni of Alberta without ever taking a French class.

Why, exactly, did you have to do all that for Manitoba?

And as for translating French without learning it: I know what you mean. I've been taking French classes for 9 years (scoring 90s-level marks most of the way through), and I still completely suck at it.
Old August 14, 2003, 16:56   #66
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

This was back in the 60's, so I don't actually remember all that much about it.

At the time, in order to get into a Canadian university you had to have grade 12 in another language: mainly French (or Latin, I think; and this being Manitoba, Ukrainian was an acceptable substitute). You needed 5 courses in Grade 12 to get 'Senior Matriculation', which allowed you to apply to a university. I did English, French, Physics, Maths, and History. IIRC, you could do another Science (Chemistry or Biology) instead of History.

I took French classes from grade 7 to grade 12 and in the end could just about watch an Italian movie that was subtitled in French on CBWFT.
Old August 15, 2003, 06:20   #67
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Drogue, you've explained it partially a few times already, but I still don't really get it, as my school system is entirely different. Do you need to get a perfect score (A) for every course you have to be allowed to university? Or is that only for Oxford?
Each offer is individual. I got a AAA offer, my friend got an AAB offer (both to Oxford). You can get offers anywhere from EE to AAA. And it's not a perfect score, it's on your top 3 grades (they may ask for specific subjects though). For instance, I needed 3 As from Maths, Economics, History and Business (wouldnt accept Further Maths or General Studies). As long as yu pass an 2 A levels, you can usually find a place somewhere. Though as IW said, unless you're getting Ds at least, it probably isn't worth it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
And with your current high school diploma, can you find a job, or are you sort of forced to go to university to make it worth something? Here when you finish your "general seconday education" (so not technical or vocational secondary education) normally at the age of 17-18, your diploma is rather worthless. So for example when you have studied Economics-Mathematics in secondary, it's highly recommended you continue to university if you want to have any chance on an economics job.
For an Economics job, you would need a degree. But for most manual labour jobs, many office jobs and most technical jobs, you would need 5 passes at GCSE (exams at 16) and possibly a technical qualification.

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Most Cambridge and Oxford courses will give you an offer of three A grades at A-level. Other (lesser. muhaha) universities will offer different grades, AAB, BCC etc. If Oxford really like you, they'll give you an offer of two E grades, which is basically an open invitation.
Not quite. Some Cambridge Colleges (Selwyn is the only one I know of) offer EE offers. Oxford used to offer Unconditional Offers to some (no grades needed) but they don't anymore. The lowest Oxford offer is AAB now. And many universities now outscore Oxbridge for many subjects

Quote:
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
Currently about 37% of high-school leavers go on to university, the rest finding jobs etc. In fact, increasingly, some university degrees aren't worth the time and money spent on them, where three years of experience in the job is a better investment. But no, good grades at GCSEs or A-level are still valuable if you don't go on to uni.

That's a Tory policy that actually works Reduce the number of university students to about 30% of high school leavers and remove tuition fees

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old August 15, 2003, 06:28   #68
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Double post. Sorry

Old August 15, 2003, 06:28   #69
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by cinch
Well, I can definitely say that the U.K. system seems a lot more complicated than what we have here. Maybe that's a good thing... I have no idea.
Ours is a lot simpler than it looks. You pick 3 or more subjects to study, you apply to up to 6 universities, and they will tell you what grades you have to get to go there (if they want to offer you a place). No GPAs or weighted averages, just 3 subjects, 18 exams over two years, and it all adds up to 3 grades. In terms of percentage: an A is 80%, a B is 70%, a C is 60%, a D is 50% and an E is 40%.

Quote:
Originally posted by monolith94
So where're you going to go drogue?
I'm taking a year out and re-applying, probably to Balliol Oxford. I was sick during my exams, and and I don't want my future to be based on a few days of illness. I actually got Cs and Ds this year, but I only ended up with semi-decent grades because I got in the high 90s% last year for my AS. I can retake 3 modules (1 Econ, 2 Maths), get Bs in them and come out with AAAA overall.

I'll ask Warwick to defer my place, and then if I don't get in next year I'll go to Warwick.