Old August 13, 2003, 22:43   #1
skuzzy
Settler

Local Time: 02:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
repetitive situation on Emperor
I keep trying to rush the GL on Emperor but what I'm doing doesn't seem to work. Anyone think they can tweak it? I'm playing the Indians on Emperor and I start 100% Pottery, 90% Writing, 80-90% Literature and sell alphabet and or pottery to keep my economy afloat while I'm putting into the tech. With the commerce bonus writing and literature combined usually take about 35 turns rather than 80 and I immediately improve my most productive city to ready for Literature to finish and then start the GL. Yet everytime the computer is off doing something like the Great Lighthouse or some other wonder that is completed by another civ and they have literature by that time and jump over to that and end up finishing it around 5 turns before I can. I really can't think of anyway to adjust it because if I start building the Pyramids to get more of a jump it will definetely be completed before I get literature. Any other approach would be fine if you know of one -.- tks
Old August 13, 2003, 22:55   #2
Gufnork
Prince

Local Time: 07:21
Hmm... I've never failed getting the Great Library on emperor when I've tried with non-commercial civs even. That's on standard maps. I get my second city to build a temple, then palace and switch to GL once it's done (and send it two warriors as police). But I tend to get Literacy long, long before the AI due to their beelines being very different from mine, so there's never a problem.
Old August 14, 2003, 00:06   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:21
You may want to stop selling them Alpabet.
Old August 14, 2003, 04:06   #4
PeaSoup
Warlord

Local Time: 00:21
I don't recall being able to nab the GL on diety too many times, but on emperor, it've been able to get it about half the times I've tried.

Gufnork is right, use a productive 2nd city with temple and 2 MPs, work the surrounding land and prebuild using the palace.

I tend to research Writing and Lit at 40 turns, so that allows me to Use the lux slider to keep the people happy and productive. The AI usually gets Writing before me (if I'm not commercial), so I trade for it using all the gold I've saved up and move on to Lit.

I wouldn't go as far as to not sell Alpabet since other AIs might've started with it, but Literature should never be sold unless you know you'll get the GL.