Old August 14, 2003, 12:26   #1
squalls_dreams
Settler

Local Time: 07:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Treasury..?
umm i need alittle bit of help here..how do i get my treasury up..? it gets so anoying when that lady says your treasury is dangerously low...so i was wondering how would i get it back up..?
Old August 14, 2003, 12:36   #2
Gufnork
Prince

Lower your science bar. Destroy barbarian settlements. Sell tech. Bully other civs into giving it to you.
Old August 14, 2003, 16:08   #3
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Local Time: 02:23
When you get the message that says "...dangerously low..", it's a sign that you are spending more than you are making. You can lower your science/luxury bars, sell obsolete units or make deals with other civilizations to temporarily boost your treasury.
Old August 14, 2003, 18:49   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 03:23
In addition to all of those things, it likely means you have not made enough improvements to your tiles.
If you are letting the workers run on automate, stop it.
Be sure to improve tiles that you have citizens working. Look for tiles that are bordering rivers for the extra gold.
Mine worked tiles until you need food to grow. Do not work tiles on hills until all of the other tiles are improved as it takes longer. Get those roads up.
Old August 18, 2003, 06:18   #5
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:23
Post a save if you need specific advice on a game.
Old August 18, 2003, 06:44   #6
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 08:23
- Build roads
- look at the map plan your cities wisely, try to use all river and lake tiles you can get. Use tiles with commerce bonus resources such as gold and gems
- Build more roads
- Micromanage. Don't focus too much on production. If you have 2 tiles and one gives 2 food+1 shield, and the other 2 food+2 gold, the second is the better one
- Build yet more roads
- As soon as they are available, build libraries and marketplaces, especially in your core cities with rivers and/or commerce bonus resources
- Did I mention to build roads?

You get the message.
Old August 30, 2003, 06:51   #7
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 16:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
- Build roads
- look at the map plan your cities wisely, try to use all river and lake tiles you can get. Use tiles with commerce bonus resources such as gold and gems
- Build more roads
- Micromanage. Don't focus too much on production. If you have 2 tiles and one gives 2 food+1 shield, and the other 2 food+2 gold, the second is the better one
- Build yet more roads
- As soon as they are available, build libraries and marketplaces, especially in your core cities with rivers and/or commerce bonus resources
- Did I mention to build roads?

You get the message.
this is good stuff
Old August 30, 2003, 09:11   #8
fanes7
Warlord

The early age is very important,

In the early age , you should attack a nearby civ (or more) to get some early essential technology, by this, you can save a lots of money from researching fund.

In the middle age of the ancient, you should build the Great Library, and sell your technologies to other civ.

So you never need research any tech before the GL is disable, and you should have enormous sums of money to maintain your empire.

If you attack early, you will have more room in the land to build city and expand, so you will build your FP more early. In a big or huge map, a FP means approximately double your empire's output ( include earning, science output, shields, population, area, and even culture if you have the Pyramid in the Dyp ) So you have two empire but other civs have only one, undoubted you will win.

In the despotism, you can hurry build&unit by kill people, so you should build the Stonehedge (the pyramid in civ3) more early, and find some place which have more food to grow your population, when you attack early it will be easy to hurry the Stonehedge by the GLeader. So before you change your government to the communism you needn't spend your treasury on building, you will surely scrape up many lots of money.

For me , the treasury is never a significant aspect in the game , there is never a victory even if you are rich as Bill.

So before your empire is deficit, try use your treasury to enlarge your army and get more culture point , you will enjoy your achievement very much.

Wish you have more pleasure in the game !
Old August 30, 2003, 09:28   #9
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Ok Fanes, so I like what you are saying here.

My question to you is: Do you take over foriegn cities or leave them in ruins?
Old August 30, 2003, 14:30   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
SR's advice is great.

I would add that gaining a branch tech lead and selectively selling techs is also a tremendous way to not only build up your own treasury but to concurrently drain the AI civs'.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 30, 2003, 15:41   #11
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Sell everything you can:

1. extra luxuries
2. extra resources
3. Techs (if you are ahead, just keep a 1-2 techs advance, that's enough).
4. your word map (evry turn, even for 1 gold)

Check the possibilities on your diplomatic screen EVERY TURN.
Also play a commercial and/or industrious civ.

Don't forget: BUILD ROADs (lot's of).
Old September 1, 2003, 00:14   #12
fanes7
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
Ok Fanes, so I like what you are saying here.

My question to you is: Do you take over foriegn cities or leave them in ruins?
For the sake of having 16 cities, I would not leave the foriegn city in ruins.

When I have enough more city (almost 40), I would be very burdensome to manage them. In that time, I only like to destroy the enemy units and wouldn't like to take possession of the foriegn cities.
Old September 1, 2003, 01:54   #13
Paddy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by fanes7

For the sake of having 16 cities, I would not leave the foriegn city in ruins.

When I have enough more city (almost 40), I would be very burdensome to manage them. In that time, I only like to destroy the enemy units and wouldn't like to take possession of the foriegn cities.
Thanks for your reply.

Therefore, you do not mind the dramas of occupying cities etc.

Personally if the city is strategically placed, has a wonder I like to leave it in ruins... maybe it is a faze I am going through...
Old September 2, 2003, 00:14   #14
fanes7
Warlord

haha, Sometimes I leave the foreign city in ruins for the sake of its place, but I never allow the foreign city complete their wonder, if they do, means my fault, and I will play a new game again.

In PtW, the unhappy-of-war of the foreign city can be eliminated by hurry off the foreign people.
Old September 2, 2003, 02:14   #15
Paddy
Prince

I do not understand what you mean by "Hurry off the Foriegn People...."

Something that I have been missing in my games?
Old September 2, 2003, 03:15   #16
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I think he means starving them or turning out workers to reduce the pop.
Old September 2, 2003, 03:28   #17
Paddy
Prince

That makes sense

Thanks
Old September 2, 2003, 06:33   #18
fanes7
Warlord

;-), I mean that hurry the city's building or unit, and you will lose some people in your city, building-worker is another way.
Old September 2, 2003, 09:38   #19
Paddy
Prince

tis all falling into place
Old September 2, 2003, 16:36   #20
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 23:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I keep my science at 0% or 10% or 1 scientist often until the beginning of the Industrial Age, only buyin techs when needed,(not only do they get cheaper with time, but I don't want the AI to have cash any sooner than necessary). This gives me the chance to take off technologically even at Diety level. Science should be 100% or 40 turns or just bought. If you need to sell tech or whatever in a 10+ civ game to stay ahead, DO IT!
Old September 3, 2003, 14:17   #21
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Population. Building lots of cities and roads is great, but if your cities are all size 1, you're gonna be poor.

This is why an early granary or two can be so powerful - not just because you get more settlers out faster, but because the city(ies) with granaries grow faster and will max out on pop quickly.

Rivers & Lakes are hugely important, not only because of the direct commerce boost they provide, but also because they allow your cities to grow past size 6 w/o the need to build an aqueduct (requires construction, and is 100 or so shields to build).

I usually plant a solid core group of cities and then stop pumping settlers while I build up those cities. I'd rather have extra population in my nicely developed, low-corruption core cities than more 1-pop max-corruption towns far away (which are also difficult to defend at first). Then I can leverage my powerful core cities to either 1) build wonders and shoot for a tech lead; or 2) build up a big 'ole army and kick AI ass. I normally choose option #2.

Don't build improvements in cities if you don't need them, or if you will get no benifit from them. Build courthouses! Build marketplaces! And, of course, build a Forbidden Palace! Read up on corruption.

Play around with the science slider. Try adjusting it, especially in the early going. Often, the turn before you discover a tech, you can reduce science spending quite a bit and rake in cash for a turn, while still getting the tech. Also bear in mind that you cannot research a tech in less than 4 turns, or more than 40 (provided you spend at least 1 "beaker" on it per turn - often you can do this with a single scientist in a corrupt city, or 10% science spending).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old September 3, 2003, 15:25   #22
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 00:23
Sometimes government change can be a great financial burden if you are not prepared. Like going Republic (or even Monarchy) with a large army but not enough marketplaces. Or being in Anarchy between governments when you have large payments to another civ. (In Anarchy the only cash flow is taxmen and payments between civs).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old September 3, 2003, 15:39   #23
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Oh, true. Going into republic with a big military but poor infrastructure can be a killer.

Staying in Despotism or Monarchy too long can be also, of course.

Another way of raising money is to focus on building the Great Library, and once you have it, milking it for all it's worth (which can be a LOT). If you have 3+ AI neighbors, the GL can be a godsend. You can totally shut off research and get your tech from the Library, while raking in 100% tax. You can then use that money to field a powerful military and/or rushbuild improvements. If you bank on the Library and don't get it, however, you could be in trouble.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.